OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
[MENTION=1874]DeeDee[/MENTION] Thanks for asking!!! He had it - it went well! He is recovering well and seems to think he is all better and can play like normal. :angry: We made a trip to our regular vet today because last night I took off his cone and the underneath of his neck was bloody and raw. :*( She cleaned his eyes (so maybe they won't be so itchy), shaved his neck, cleaned it and put ointment on it. I bought the antibacterial cleanser, a MUCH softer cone and antibiotics for my little buddy. I was SO freaked out by his neck that I panicked. Thank goodness she got on the phone with me last night and calmed me down! In any case, he's doing well and his eyes look great so far! Can't wait 'til he's all healed and better though, to be honest! This neck thing really threw me for a loop. :eek:

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
[MENTION=1081]Chunksmama[/MENTION] - Great thing you noticed his neck, such a great mom! What softer cone did you end up getting? Stig's getting his cherry eye corrected early April and I'd like to make it as comfortable for him.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Glad to hear that the Chunk is doing well. Petsmart sells a soft cone that isn't really a cone. Its more of a foam collar that serves the same purpose. We got one to try on Gracie but she was having nothing to do with it so we took it back. But IF we could get her to tolerate it , it would be better than a plastic cone, which she hated even worse.. LOL

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
We had a plastic cone for Daddy when he was neutered ... within 4 days he had broken it sometime during the night, got it off and chewed two of the corners! We came downstairs to find him quite happily sat next to a dead cone! :eek:

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
I am glad that the surgery went well. How long is the recovery? How long with the cone? Poor guy! I hate it when we have to take them in for operations -- they go in feeling good and come out feeling like crap! But I know it is for their own good. It is just hard to put them through it!

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] We started out with this cone:
All Four Paws - Home of the Comfy Cone

After that gave him so much irritation we put the regular old plastic one on til we got to the vet. Then the vet gave us this kind of cone (this was the closest thing I could find), looks kinda like a throw away ... it's very flimsy but it stops him from rubbing his eyes!
http://www.amazon.com/Trimline-Veterinary-Recovery-Collar-Large/dp/B0006GXBOK

We have since had a change of events. :( Yesterday morning I went down to get our day started and found Chunk in his cage with his head shaking. I panicked (of course), called my husband and he turned around and came home to figure out what was happening. It stopped about 3-4 minutes later. As I calmed down, I realized this could be the head tremors his previous owner had told us about. After reading a few posts on head tremors on here, I decided to continue with our regular schedule and see what happened; we were thinking maybe his blood sugar was low. He was acting normal, so we figured maybe it was a fluke. (Note: we fed him and gave him the antibiotics previously prescribed but did NOT give him the benadryl we had been giving him twice per day since that didn't feel like a necessity to me.) So my husband stayed home with him while I went to work (luckily this was a late day for me), I wasn't at work a half hour and my phone was going off with texts from my husband that it was happening again. :( I called the vet and she said that if he had previously had head tremors, it was possible that the benadryl was causing them to come back. So now we are on just antibiotics and the last head tremor we have seen was at 5:30am. (Unfortunately, neither of us could stay home today, but I came home at lunch and he was fine. He's been fine since 3:00pm when my husband got home as well.) I'm hoping we are done with the head tremors because his eyes and neck are healing REALLY well and he's otherwise being so super good. I'll tell ya - just when I thought it couldn't get worse ... it did. Praying for things to go UP from here!!

Last edited:

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
How scary!!! I am sorry to hear about the head tremors! How are things going today? Are head tremors just annoying or can they cause lasting damage?

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1874]DeeDee[/MENTION] It was SO scary, but I've been talking with his previous owner and she has calmed my nerves A LOT. Thankfully no head tremors (as far as we know) since yesterday at 5:30am! One of us has been home at all times since 3:30pm yesterday, so I'm pretty convinced it's over. He's wonderful today. :up: We've been told it's just "annoying" to the dog and does not "hurt" them. I say - how do they know! He puts his head on the ground to try to stop it, so it definitely bothers him!

DeeDee

Feb 19, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Busters
awww poor guy! It probably scares him a bit too. I am glad it seems to be going away. I would have never thought benadryl could trigger something like that! I am glad you are taking such good care of him. He's been through a lot lately! I am glad that it doesn't do any real damage though.

OP
Chunksmama

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=1874]DeeDee[/MENTION] Me too! She said it doesn't necessarily trigger it ... more that it lowers his immunity or resistance to it. I have to admit - I stopped the antibiotics too ... wanted him to be back to normal, then I figured I'd give him the antibiotic again. Just to be SURE it was the benadryl. We'll probably go back to the antibiotics tomorrow. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.