Julzz

May 23, 2016
New Jersey
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso and Romeo
Has anyone ever had to have an ear hematoma surgically removed? Romeo has one in his left ear and the only way my vet will deal with it is with surgery so they can fully remove it.. However I am strongly against putting him under with anesthesia for obvious reasons that my vet didn't acknowledge at all and I am wondering if there are any alternatives besides draining it? Romeo is a big boy 92 lbs ( he actually lost 6 lbs) and had cherry eye surgery and was nuetered when he was 4 months old and I was told he had an issue waking up from the anesthesia.. I got him after the surgery was done so I'm not sure of exactly what happened. He's 5 now and other than being so big he is fine and healthy...I just really want to avoid anesthesia if possible.. Should I maybe take him somewhere else for a second opinion?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I don't have any experience with this personally, but a 2nd opinion is a great idea. Make sure its a vet who is experienced with bulldogs, it took us 3 vets before we found one we really loved. Its amazing what a vet who is experienced with bulldogs is compared to one that is not. Literally night and day for us. I hope some other members chime in, maybe with similar experiences.

OP
Julzz

Julzz

May 23, 2016
New Jersey
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso and Romeo
Thanks [MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] we have been going to our vet for 7 years and he was a bulldog owner also and we loved him but vca took over the office a few years ago and now every time we go in we see a different doctor and it's frustrating not having a rapport with someone specific and them not knowing our boys histories.. I'm liking them less and less every time we go in..also it feels more business like and less personal now but the other known bulldog vet in our area no longer takes new patients...I also hope there is someone here who has dealt with this issue without anesthesia and without the hematoma returning and can give me some other option to try...I'm told if you don't have it removed most likely it will spread and scar from the inside and the ear will become disfigured..kind of like cauliflower ear..and I don't want that to happen either

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks @TyTysmom we have been going to our vet for 7 years and he was a bulldog owner also and we loved him but vca took over the office a few years ago and now every time we go in we see a different doctor and it's frustrating not having a rapport with someone specific and them not knowing our boys histories.. I'm liking them less and less every time we go in..also it feels more business like and less personal now but the other known bulldog vet in our area no longer takes new patients...I also hope there is someone here who has dealt with this issue without anesthesia and without the hematoma returning and can give me some other option to try...I'm told if you don't have it removed most likely it will spread and scar from the inside and the ear will become disfigured..kind of like cauliflower ear..and I don't want that to happen either

Are any of these close to you? ( I know some excellent ones in the city, but I know its a trip )

Creek's Edge Animal Hospital
Dr. Christopher Keefe
Hainesport, N.J. 08036
609-702-9939

Flemington Veterinary Hospital
54 Voorhees Corner Road
Flemington, NJ 08822
908-782-5731
flemingtonvethospital.com

Red Bank Veterinary Hospital
24 hour Emergency Service
197 Hance Ave.
Tinton Falls, NJ
732-747-3636
www.rbvh.net

Rutherford Animal Hospital
Dr. Sing
755 Rutherford Ave
Rutherford NJ 07070
201-933-4111

Holistic Pet Care
Dr Buchoff
125 Paterson Ave
Little Falls, NJ 07424
973-256-3899

Dr. DeBiasio
Livingston Animal Hospital
Livingston, NJ 07039
(973) 992-8888

OP
Julzz

Julzz

May 23, 2016
New Jersey
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso and Romeo
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] thank you..this is exactly why this site is great!! I spoke with Creeks Edge this afternoon and they are no longer taking new patients.. They are the only one near me but they did give me the names of 2 in the Philadelphia area that I may call tomorrow..they were the ones that told me I could choose not to treat it.. The others are about 1-2 hours away from me

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
@TyTysmom thank you..this is exactly why this site is great!! I spoke with Creeks Edge this afternoon and they are no longer taking new patients.. They are the only one near me but they did give me the names of 2 in the Philadelphia area that I may call tomorrow..they were the ones that told me I could choose not to treat it.. The others are about 1-2 hours away from me

Best of luck! Please keep us posted, would love to hear the 2nd opinion!

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Schultz had a hematoma on his right ear (no bigger than a quarter)... We have a very old school vet and she recommended just observe and see if it wouldn't just be reabsorbed over the course of a few weeks. Things to watch for were continuing to shake head or the hematoma growing. I went with watch and wait, the ear feels a little scar tissuey where the hematoma was but his body reabsorbed the blood that had pooled there in a couple of weeks.
I hope you can find a vet and everything turns out for the best.
Good luck.

OP
Julzz

Julzz

May 23, 2016
New Jersey
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso and Romeo
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] thank you for telling me that!! I really felt like our vet was trying to push me into an unnecessary surgery today and it's not worth the risk..I'm anxious just thinking about him having surgery.. I am definitely going to try and get him an appointment with someone willing to just monitor it or another person said sometimes they treat it with a steroid shot..I'm happy that Shultz is doing better now!!

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Has anyone ever had to have an ear hematoma surgically removed? Romeo has one in his left ear and the only way my vet will deal with it is with surgery so they can fully remove it.. However I am strongly against putting him under with anesthesia for obvious reasons that my vet didn't acknowledge at all and I am wondering if there are any alternatives besides draining it? Romeo is a big boy 92 lbs ( he actually lost 6 lbs) and had cherry eye surgery and was nuetered when he was 4 months old and I was told he had an issue waking up from the anesthesia.. I got him after the surgery was done so I'm not sure of exactly what happened. He's 5 now and other than being so big he is fine and healthy...I just really want to avoid anesthesia if possible.. Should I maybe take him somewhere else for a second opinion?

One of my girls had one last year and my vet tried a canula which is a little plastic tube they insert into the hematoma to drain because her hematoma was HUGH it was so bad her ear looked like it should have been on a French bulldog as it stood straight up and was a big around as a half dollar. The canula is put in with just a local anesthetic and it did really well except it only stayed in about 5 days which was not long enough for it solve the issue. We ended up having to have surgery as it was causing problems with her hearing and ear infection because it was so large. The canula may be a option for your boy if his hematoma is not to large .I still think I would try and find a bulldog vet you can also check with your local bulldog rescue as they almost always no where the experts are :) I drive a hour and a half to my vet because he is the best when it come to bulldogs I wouldn't trust anyone else when it comes to any type of surgery on my kids :)

OP
Julzz

Julzz

May 23, 2016
New Jersey
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso and Romeo
Thank you [MENTION=8927]traceylynn172[/MENTION] I will ask about the canula..Romeo doesn't have an ear infection so maybe that will work for him.. I think his hematoma is from last Sunday night when we were eating dinner and Romeo and Fatso got into a quick nasty tussle over a piece of broccoli that fell on the floor..and I found it 2days later.. I thought maybe it was a bite or sting from something outside bc it was just puffy..now it's harder and a little bigger than a quarter..I did try the vet that our local bulldog rescue uses but they are a small practice and are no longer taking new patients..but they were so helpful today and gave me 2 vets to try.. They also said I could do nothing and wait for it to absolve itself and hope for the best..Romeo is shaking his head once in a while but it doesn't really seem like it's bothering him meanwhile I of course am freaking out lol

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
Thank you @traceylynn172 I will ask about the canula..Romeo doesn't have an ear infection so maybe that will work for him.. I think his hematoma is from last Sunday night when we were eating dinner and Romeo and Fatso got into a quick nasty tussle over a piece of broccoli that fell on the floor..and I found it 2days later.. I thought maybe it was a bite or sting from something outside bc it was just puffy..now it's harder and a little bigger than a quarter..I did try the vet that our local bulldog rescue uses but they are a small practice and are no longer taking new patients..but they were so helpful today and gave me 2 vets to try.. They also said I could do nothing and wait for it to absolve itself and hope for the best..Romeo is shaking his head once in a while but it doesn't really seem like it's bothering him meanwhile I of course am freaking out lol

lol I know it is terrible we freak out more then the poor dog does when something is wrong :) that's how piglet got hers they were playing tug of war and she was trying to shake her brother off the toy and hit hers on the edge of the coffee table. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.