IVDD in my 10 yo :-(... laser therapy, acupuncture

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Our almost 11yo Bully was just diagnosed with IVDD, she had been having issues for a week, and it was thought to be something else. After that S#!$ty Vet, we saw someone else who diagnosed her. She was given an injection that knocked her out for the night, and then put on a muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory. She has not be crate bound, but has been limited on where she can go to an 8x10 ft area.. No jumping, running, playing. She still has bouts of heavy panting, and some shaking. The vet said to double the muscle relaxer dose. Question is, anyone else have experience with this and such an older age, and what did you do?? I don't think surgery is an option, but wondered about laser therapy or acupuncture.. :pray:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Some had laser n acupuncture on their dogs with great results. I am sure they will help you out. I will send a "mentioned" to them.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our almost 11yo Bully was just diagnosed with IVDD, she had been having issues for a week, and it was thought to be something else. After that S#!$ty Vet, we saw someone else who diagnosed her. She was given an injection that knocked her out for the night, and then put on a muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory. She has not be crate bound, but has been limited on where she can go to an 8x10 ft area.. No jumping, running, playing. She still has bouts of heavy panting, and some shaking. The vet said to double the muscle relaxer dose. Question is, anyone else have experience with this and such an older age, and what did you do?? I don't think surgery is an option, but wondered about laser therapy or acupuncture.. :pray:

My Banks had a similar issue for most of her life.... she had butterfly vertebrae and arthritis all diagnosed at are 2 or 3 years old. We did pain management with medicine and laser therapy.... her three main meds were tramadol, derramaxx and gabapetin --- the Gapapetin came in around her 6th birthday. Dosage of the meds changed as she needed, increase one, decrease the other... it was all managed by her behavior and activity level. After the first year of all the meds, my vet would give me 90 supply and I would text him (personal cell) whenever i had a question or needed guidance... sometimes it would end up with 'Bring her in tomorrow, I want to get a look', but for the most part you'll be able to get in a grove and know when to adjust as necessary. The laser was a GOD send for her, we totally noticed a difference within the third or forth treatment and once she was on once a month treatment we could see when she was ready for it. Banks needed the entire spine done and her hips as years went by, but she LOVED her treatments and the vet techs looked forward to her coming in.... she lay on the floor and just let them do the 'spa' treatment on her.... each session (the once a month session) varies in time depending on your feedback of how she is doing... winter months were tough for our girl so those sessions tended to be more near the 40 min mark, but normal sessions were only about 20-25 mins.

We also just had our frenchie diagnosed with some vertebrae issues on Wednesday, he was having issues, VERY sudden, walking up the stairs, moving his neck and no reflex response in back legs. So we are at the beginning with him for pain management and laser therapy. Cheli is 5 years old and about 25 lbs so his meds for 2 weeks are steroids (anti-inflammatory), seven days of gabapetin (blocks pain signal to the brain) and 5 days of methocarbamol ( muscle relaxant) and no play, running, jumping or stairs for two full weeks.... ever try to keep a Frenchie down :facepalm: His laser treatments have started and at first you do three days in a row, then go every other day for a week, then they work you up to one a month or as needed based on pain/behavior/sign.... you just call and make an additional appointment.

I hope all this helps and if you have any questions, please let me know. Oh one other thing.... weight, be sure to keep her weight down, we had to be VERY careful with Banks as she was a big girl.. t one point she was 70lbs, but we got her to hold steady for most of her life at 58-62 lbs, which was perfect for her and the condition.

keep us posted

OP
D

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
She was put on desamethasone x1 in the am, and the diazepam is what the vet said to up to x2 pills of 2mg in the am and pm. I give her 1 diazepam 1st thing in the am, and then try to hold till about noon or 1 for the next, then 1 at about 6pm with dinner and the other before bed. So basically I'm trying to do 1 every 6 hours. Not sure if that's as good, better, or worse. was also going to start Pepcid AC to protect the stomach. she is now crate bound except for potty breaks. her weight has never been over 50lbs, she's about 45 lbs +/- 2lbs. has ALWAYS been on the healthy weight side, would never let her get fat. I understand blocking the pain receptors, but also think that's a Catch 22.. No pain, then they'll be more active and make it worse, but you also don't want them in pain. I guess being in the crate would prevent the activity also. We have a follow up on Tuesday at 5pm, so will see then what they suggest. Sucks that the following week I'll be out of town for work, so the wife will be here solo, and the week after that is Daphnee's 11th birthday and we have gone up to VT with her for the last 6 years to celebrate :cry:

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Okay so I had to look this up, because I was not familiar with the term ivdd. Now I know, and I found this link.
Intervertebral Disk Disease (IVDD) in Dogs | Symptoms and Signs
And I have to suggest massage therapy and swimming therapy. Not that I am an expert, but when our older mutt started having hip issues, the vet told us to massage her hips, and take her swimming. He told us to build up to fifteen minutes every day if we coul d.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online