thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Thank you Helene for this post and for sharing all of your knowledge. I have printed several of your recipes and placed my Doterra order for all the ones i didn't already have. Can't wait to try these out when needed.
:nice:

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you Helene for this post and for sharing all of your knowledge. I have printed several of your recipes and placed my Doterra order for all the ones i didn't already have. Can't wait to try these out when needed.
:nice:

Why thank you! Sorry if I donā€™t always reply cause Iā€™m either busy working or simply didnā€™t see a post.

Let me know down the road what youā€™ve noticed with the oils. :)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
A few members have asked me what kind of essential oils they can use on their bullies for certain issues. I figured, why not start a thread on Essential Oils. Basically oils are NOT a replacement for serious issues but more on prevention, soothing, helping them out to be more relax and even while on meds. (As for humans!) Again oils do not replace meds!!! I do and use oils daily for myself and for Nyala. Best advise I can give is do your homework. Read, read a lot as it takes a few years to understand unless you had a good coach as I did. Im still learning everyday :) Now any other members that has used oils and know of mixtures that really works, by all means, post them. Your mixture might help other bullies with same problem or maybe not even a problem just so they smell nice :yes:

NOTE! There are a couple oils NOT to be used in big quantities and they are Tea Tree and Melaleuca. Ex: if you find a recipe says 15 drops of these 2 oils, well NO. More like 3-4 drops. Nothing is wrong with these oils just pets do not absorb like humans. Also NO..... I repeat NO oils of any kind are for cats!!!! Cats n Oils dont work together!!! I don't want to scare you from oils just we have to use our heads and be logic. Oils has been around for 1000s of years and a lot of today's medication are made from oils.

So here are a couple recipes and I will post more but again would be great if YOU know of some mixture that works please post them :)

Great way to learn is read up on each oils then you will say... oh I get it :) USE ONLY essential oils that has a bin# on the bottle or therapeutic grade. Some will say 100% pure, organic and they are not. Ask questions.

FOR TICKS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Put all in a spray bottle and shake.

When I bought Nyala home at 3 months old, she was doing fine. At 5 months she caught a cold had to be put on antibiotics for 7 days :( she had green snots, guk coming out of her nose n eyes 24/7 I have a diffuser ultrasonic ionizer and I decided to do my own mix that I use for my breathing when I get all stuffed up at night. My diffuser is on all day n night. Has a timer. It took 2 days for all to clear Nyala's cold n guk. I put the diffuser towards her kennel while she was sleeping. I swear it worked better and faster than her pills. BUT I still gave her the antibiotics.

Respiratory/Colds (In the diffuser. Cup size in diffuser is about 1/2cup)
This was for her nights but you can also use daytime. I leave it all day also so when she's roaming around the house she gets to clear her lungs. Again I have a timer on mine.

3 drops of Eucalyptus
3 drops of Peppermint
3 drops of Lavender
2 drops of Lemon

Oil and water DO NOT mix why you need a diffuser that is ultrasonic ionizer cause the vibration is so fast it breaks the oils in the water. If you put oils in your bath you need a carrier which means like a teaspoon of honey or coconut oil n mix it in then put it under running water.

Got more but off to bed :) tomorrow :)

For the section Respiratory/Colds REMOVE LEMON and simply replace with tea tree. Later down the road Iā€™ve made more research n citrus is NOT recommended for any dogs.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
For the section Respiratory/Colds REMOVE LEMON and simply replace with tea tree. Later down the road Iā€™ve made more research n citrus is NOT recommended for any dogs.

I have lemon and orange...so what are they good for other than pleasant smell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have lemon and orange...so what are they good for other than pleasant smell?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use lemongrass. You still have a great lemon smell but itā€™s not lemon as you know.

Oh what are they good for? Not much if you have dogs around :(

But....safe for consumption???

Water Booster: Mix a couple drops into water and drink throughout the day (only oils labeled safe for consumption should be used). Make sure you are using a glass cup or bottle (no Styrofoam or plastic cups)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

Some been asking me about lemon oil. Put it this way, your dog wonā€™t die cause you use lemon oil. I personally wouldnā€™t use it as if you put too much in a diffuser it stings the eyes, they go watery n red. Why itā€™s simply easier just to avoid citrus n just use lemongrass. :)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Regarding the recipe on the very first page for RESPIRATORY/COLD. Back then I had a small diffuser. Nowadays they sell diffusers that holds a good cup or more of water. So the recipe changes.

8 drops of Eucalyptus
8 drops of Peppermint NOTE BELOW
8 drops of Lavender
6 drops of Lemongrass.

Also, if you have a cat in the house do NOT use peppermint. Simply remove from list Replace with Rosemary.

The lemon is replaced by lemongrass. Iā€™ve used lemon and itā€™s ok but preferably try not to use citrus around pets.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I asked Saje company ( very well respected French Canadian company for essential oils ) which products they don't recommend around dogs. They said the only ones they don't recommend for topical use are eucalyptus and tea tree oil, but the dilution is much higher with the diffuser, but they can't officially recommend those two by that route either.

I looked myself at the Edensgarden web site and they give a list of essential oils recommended safe to use with dogs, and they specify eucalyptus is safe to vaporize around your dog, but don't have tea tree oil on the list. https://www.edensgarden.com/blogs/news/aaa-which-essential-oils-are-safe-for-dogs

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I asked Saje company ( very well respected French Canadian company for essential oils ) which products they don't recommend around dogs. They said the only ones they don't recommend for topical use are eucalyptus and tea tree oil, but the dilution is much higher with the diffuser, but they can't officially recommend those two by that route either.

I looked myself at the Edensgarden web site and they give a list of essential oils recommended safe to use with dogs, and they specify eucalyptus is safe to vaporize around your dog, but don't have tea tree oil on the list. https://www.edensgarden.com/blogs/news/aaa-which-essential-oils-are-safe-for-dogs

You will find a lot of websites say tea tree is not good n some will say the opposite. Iā€™ve used it for years in a diffuser. Iā€™ve used it when I even had my GS, Nyala, Duke n Jake. But one thing about tea tree is I never use recommended drops a recipe will ask. I always use way less than half. Depending on the recipe of course. Usually itā€™s like approx .1-1% Portugal, Spain n Australia is where Tea Tree comes from. Here on this side of the planet weā€™ll see Tea tree from Australia which they use Tea Tree, Eucalyptus Oil in Shampoo for Dogs and Cats. Yes even cats. I personally wouldnā€™t use it on a cat but thatā€™s me.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Just a reminder. Donā€™t forget EO also goes with the size of your dogs. Follow the chart below. :)

1D872AD3-D1AA-4C50-BF94-0CF4B7EDABD3.png

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I decided to repost for the members that are still using flea/ticks meds for their pets... Again itā€™s all made with pesticides that will eventually seep into your pets organs. :w00t: Please donā€™t use anything that has to do with them type of dangerous flea/tick removers n simply use this recipe below...

Consider the natural way which I use all the time when I go for hikes or walks in the Rockies. Rockies do have ticks as some mountain goats are found with ticks.... this is my go to for my pups n the bottom of my jeans n runners. Works!!

FOR TICKS

14 oz of Witch Hazel
12 drops of Lavender
15 drops of Citronella
15 drops of Lemongrass

Put all in a spray bottle and shake.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/frontline-harmful-dog/

https://www.homevet.com/is-it-safe-to-use-strong-chemicals-to-kill-fleas-and-ticks/

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
From [MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION] /Sarah

It's been a little while since I've posted so to catch up...Sgt.Schultz is turning 10 tomorrow and is still full of himself. His health has been pretty good (lots of maintenance) but I wouldn't trade him for the world.I've been home cooking for about 3 years (in a pinch we use a grain free honest kitchen that we add a protein to) and this seems to work well for his system.His chronic ear infections have been healed with a blend of essential oils that we apply weekly with a cotton balls - better than any antibiotic or vet supplied ear drop.

Here is the essential oil recipe for ear infections or just maintaining good ear health.Spray on cotton ball and wipe out ears ...don't spray directly in ears.In a 2 ounce glass spray bottle, combine:

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae

Fractionated*Coconut Oil*to fill the bottle about 3/4 of the way fullShake bottle well before using. Use once a week to treat ears that have an ear infection or once a month as a preventative measure in ears that are prone to recurrent ear infectionsIf ears are especially inflamed or infected, dilute 2 drops of lavender in 4 drops of fractionated*coconut oil*on a cotton ball and apply lightly to soothe the inflamed ear area.

Would Neem oil work as a carrier oil here?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Would Neem oil work as a carrier oil here?

IMO, Yes n No... donā€™t you like people saying yes n no lolllll

basically I would use Neem with another carrier oil like coconut, jojoba, grape seed oil, almond etc. Neem has a strong smell as you probably know. Yes Neem will sap bugā€™s brains for sure. Made and used more for anti-aging oil. I would try like 1/2 Neem and 1/2 of another carrier oil n see how it goes... :)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sanitizers is a no no. But... I will admit I do carry one when I go grocery shopping. Them carts....ewwwww

Great article.....

Whatā€™s one thing that almost every American carries around ā€“ a little bottle of hand sanitizer. If you think that hand sanitizers protect you against germs, you are mistaken. Not only do alcohol based sanitizers last only a few minutes (they must be reapplied over and over again for them to be somewhat effective ) but they are also loaded with toxic chemicals. So, basically for most sanitizers to work you have to soak your hands in it constantly, however, then you risk a ton of health problems associated with all the toxic ingredients in it. One of the most toxic ingredients used in making hand sanitizers is triclosan. Triclosan is usually found in sanitizers, soaps, dish washing detergents, shaving gels, toothpastes, etc. Triclosan has been linked to serious health effects, including hormone disruptions, and cancer. One of the most disturbing things is that the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that triclosan is present in the urine of at least 75 percent of Americans. No wonder, we are sick as a nation. We are constantly bathing ourselves in these toxic chemicals.

Hand sanitizer causes the skin to absorb 100 times more of the hormone-disrupting chemical bisphenol A (BPA), according to a study conducted by researchers from the University of Missouri and published in the journal PLOS ONE.

Fortunately, there are many natural alternatives to these chemicals (such as essential oils) that are very effective as antiseptic cleansers. Essential oils contain organisms that are very effective at fighting bacteria. These oils act as anti-fungal and natural antibiotics.

Yes make your own vet easy n healthier too.

The Most Effective Homemade Hand Sanitizer

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Aloe Vera Gel
10 Drops of Tea Tree Oil
10 Drops of Lavender Essential Oil
8 drops Cinnamon Essential Oil
Instructions:

1. Mix all ingredients together
2. Pour into a spray bottle or a pump type bottle
3. Shake before applying

Members online

No members online now.