Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

Im reading as much as my eyes will take (eye issues) but.........im wondering if lemon/or lemon grass in combo with the eucalyptus would be as effective? I do know the different smells of the different leafs, so maby it's an absolute need of that particular smell, but heck, i have such a cupboard full of oils, id rather mix some if it would be as effective?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Im reading as much as my eyes will take (eye issues) but.........im wondering if lemon/or lemon grass in combo with the eucalyptus would be as effective? I do know the different smells of the different leafs, so maby it's an absolute need of that particular smell, but heck, i have such a cupboard full of oils, id rather mix some if it would be as effective?

you can use both and no need to go buy the already mix bottle.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I often had people asking me is tea tree essential oil safe for dogs. The answer is YES. I’ve been using it on Nyala for over 2yrs. (Tail pocket). There’s a rule of thumb when it comes to tea tree oil. One you need a QUALITY oil. Well that’s in any oil of course. Basically tea goes by “how many” drops per pound/weight of the dog... this article will help you understand..

A WORD ABOUT TEA TREE OIL (MELALEUCA):
I often get comments about tea tree oil being toxic to dogs. Tea tree oil has phenolic compounds that can be hard for a dog’s body to process, but only in high doses. The oral toxic dose of phenol in dogs is about 0.22 grams per pound of body weight. 0.22 grams is about 4 drops of tea tree oil. This would mean that a 1 pound dog would have toxicity symptoms if you applied 4 drops of tea tree oil.

However, most dogs are around 10-20 lbs. To hit toxic levels of phenols, you would have to apply 40 drops of tea tree oil to a 10 lb. dog at one time. This would be the same as if a 150 pound human applied 600 drops of tea tree oil to their body at one time. OF COURSE this would be ridiculous and toxic. Anybody (or any doggy) given a high amount of phenolic compounds would develop toxicity issues.

When applying essential oils, you need a good dose of common sense. As long as you understand that applying 1-3 drops at a time and diluting for children and pets is the best practice, you’ll be good!

NOTE: The phenolic toxicity level in cats is unknown, but we do know that cats are more sensitive than dogs. It’s advised to avoid Melaleuca altogether in cats.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
What would be the best oil to run through your defuser if you have let it sit for a bit (couple of weeks) to freshen it up and kill anything lingering. I have five around the house and just havent run a few. Thanks :)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
What would be the best oil to run through your defuser if you have let it sit for a bit (couple of weeks) to freshen it up and kill anything lingering. I have five around the house and just havent run a few. Thanks :)

Definitely lemon n tea tree. If your diffuser holds 1 cup of water, add a good 8drops of lemon n 6 of tea tree. Tea tree kills airborne pathogens. You can also add lavender

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Definitely lemon n tea tree. If your diffuser holds 1 cup of water, add a good 8drops of lemon n 6 of tea tree. Tea tree kills airborne pathogens. You can also add lavender

Thank you soooooooo much :) I did figure the tea tree, but good to hear the lemon too!!! Done deal ;)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have been finding little black ants in my kitchen...argh. I made up an EO mixture a few months ago to spray around the outside of the house and I can't remember everything I put into it but I think I used peppermint, orange and maybe something else??? I don't know. But I just found another recipe that uses peppermint, tea tree and a citrus oil. Since the tea tree will be diluted, it will be safe to use indoors? Safe to use in the kitchen?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I have been finding little black ants in my kitchen...argh. I made up an EO mixture a few months ago to spray around the outside of the house and I can't remember everything I put into it but I think I used peppermint, orange and maybe something else??? I don't know. But I just found another recipe that uses peppermint, tea tree and a citrus oil. Since the tea tree will be diluted, it will be safe to use indoors? Safe to use in the kitchen?

Citrus oil is great for ants but not around a dog or cat. These ants, are they behind a cupboard or between walls etc? I recall loooong time ago I had my 2 Dobermans and had ants. They were going under the cabinet. I remove the kickfoot of the cabinet. I simply cut a fresh lemon in quarters, used one of the 1/4 n bay leaves. Took a couple days ans ants were gone. I would start with peppermint n cloves bud oils . 35 drops of each in 4oz of water. BUT yes a BUT...make sure the dogs don’t lick it as both are in the category of the “hot” oils. Why I asked you where are these ants...

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Citrus oil is great for ants but not around a dog or cat. These ants, are they behind a cupboard or between walls etc? I recall loooong time ago I had my 2 Dobermans and had ants. They were going under the cabinet. I remove the kickfoot of the cabinet. I simply cut a fresh lemon in quarters, used one of the 1/4 n bay leaves. Took a couple days ans ants were gone. I would start with peppermint n cloves bud oils . 35 drops of each in 4oz of water. BUT yes a BUT...make sure the dogs don’t lick it as both are in the category of the “hot” oils. Why I asked you where are these ants...

We found some behind the fridge and behind the oven, coming out from there. Can’t find where they’re coming in from though. I have peppermint, will have to see if I have cloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
We found some behind the fridge and behind the oven, coming out from there. Can’t find where they’re coming in from though. I have peppermint, will have to see if I have cloves.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I presume both appliances are beside one another or very close? Cut some lemons n bay leaves. Both attracts ants. Bay leaves they’ll bring it to their nest and they’ll die. And yup spray the peppermint while you’re at it. Essential oils might smell nice but what we don’t see is that it burns the neutron/receptors in insects. Well at least you’re going to have a nice smelling kitchen :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I presume both appliances are beside one another or very close? Cut some lemons n bay leaves. Both attracts ants. Bay leaves they’ll bring it to their nest and they’ll die. And yup spray the peppermint while you’re at it. Essential oils might smell nice but what we don’t see is that it burns the neutron/receptors in insects. Well at least you’re going to have a nice smelling kitchen :)

They are next to each other. I sprayed peppermint this morning. I actually have a lemon but I couldn't find bay leaves so I might be out. Will check again tonight when I have more time.

I also sprinkled some human grade diatomaceous earth behind the oven and fridge.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Not sure if this should be here or "NOT" bulldog but........... My daughter has what appears to be an athletes foot thing. It start a bubble then pops (or she pops not sure) and then looks like a fungus to me. She has been using an athletes foot med with no help and actually asked me for one of my 'oil' concoctions sooooooooooooooooooooooo, here i am asking for one ;) I would figure tea tree but would love a known remedy if ya got one.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure if this should be here or "NOT" bulldog but........... My daughter has what appears to be an athletes foot thing. It start a bubble then pops (or she pops not sure) and then looks like a fungus to me. She has been using an athletes foot med with no help and actually asked me for one of my 'oil' concoctions sooooooooooooooooooooooo, here i am asking for one ;) I would figure tea tree but would love a known remedy if ya got one.

First of all, she should get it diagnosed as it could be eczema. NEVER put EO on open flesh especially tea tree as she might lose some feeling for a long time. Anything that’s open flesh or stitches that’s fresh, EO needs to be rubbed a good inch Away from the wound. But get it diagnosed first....here’s a good site. And always mix with a carrier oil or even better CO.

https://monq.com/eo/skin-care/essential-oils-athletes-foot/

- - - Updated - - -

They are next to each other. I sprayed peppermint this morning. I actually have a lemon but I couldn't find bay leaves so I might be out. Will check again tonight when I have more time.

I also sprinkled some human grade diatomaceous earth behind the oven and fridge.

How’s the ants? Did you fry them?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
First of all, she should get it diagnosed as it could be eczema. NEVER put EO on open flesh especially tea tree as she might lose some feeling for a long time. Anything that’s open flesh or stitches that’s fresh, EO needs to be rubbed a good inch Away from the wound. But get it diagnosed first....here’s a good site. And always mix with a carrier oil or even better CO.

https://monq.com/eo/skin-care/essential-oils-athletes-foot/

- - - Updated - - -

How’s the ants? Did you fry them?

Well, the peppermint spray and lemon did absolutely nothing! I would spray and then less an hour they were all over again. I ended up getting something "safe" for pets and children at Home Depot as I couldn't take it anymore.

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.