Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
To be honest with you, I wouldn't put anything that will sting the eye. I just dont believe in doing that. From toying around with Duke's stains and ive been quoted a few times how his white is so white which it is, so far I fine if he eats no chicken even though he has no allergies towards it, he gets less tear stains. Another thing is that you really need to dry them on regular basis. What works for Duke as all dogs are different, is Colloidal Silver. But....that area really needs to be dry before putting it on. Also some other items some swears by is boric acid which you will find in contact lens cleaner. You can try lens cleaner! Liquid vitamin C was proven to help too. But I dont know if I would use destin. It's just a barrier as it wont solve the issue imo. Boils down is keep them dry helps enormously.

I read this remedy on a website for tear stains if you want to try boric acid:
Add one tablespoon Boracic Acid to a cup of boiling water, mix well. Place several cotton swabs into a plastic container. Pour the cooled solution over the swabs and seal the container. Use one swab daily to clean away tear and face staining. Make up a new mix at least once weekly.

Sounds like the tear stains are from excessive tearing from a physical issue that needs surgery so not sure if you CAN get rid of them. But I find that rubbing my dogs eye rope down with duoxo wipes or acetic acid/boric acid wipes doesn't help. My dog has a damaged eye from before I got her that weeps and her rope gets very red and itchy and this 4 step procedure works for her:
1) Wet a round cosmetic pad and apply a dab of chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo like ketohex/curaseb on it and wipe out wrinkle
2) Wet a second pad without shampoo and wipe out wrinkle
3) Dry out wrinkle with a 3 rd pad
4) Apply desitin or zincofax cream or similar if really red (optional)

If you want to try colloidal silver, you can make your own easily with some wires with alligator clips on ends, 2 or 3 9V batteries, a couple of 0.9999 silver one oz coins or bars (from a coin shop for eg.) and a wide necked vase, and distilled water. Takes about 5 hr roughly. I did it for fun but haven't tried solution yet.
View attachment 109131

I have a collyrium eye wash. So that should gave boric acid in it. Would that be the same effect as mixing the powder form with water?

Iā€™d rather be lazy and buy colloidal silver lol.

And yes, I believe the issue is caused by entropion and he will need the surgery. I was just hoping there was a way to get rid of or at least lessen his current stains. Or is what he has now just going to be there forever? Thankfully his folds arenā€™t irritated or itchy, just wet and rusty looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
I have a collyrium eye wash. So that should gave boric acid in it. Would that be the same effect as mixing the powder form with water?

And yes, I believe the issue is caused by entropion and he will need the surgery. I was just hoping there was a way to get rid of or at least lessen his current stains. Or is what he has now just going to be there forever? Thankfully his folds arenā€™t irritated or itchy, just wet and rusty looking.

Nope, I Believe that when you stop or control the tearing, and continue cleaning it will go away but you have to be diligent to get rid of.. hanks did.. I had the surgery, and will still need the cleaning the folds. I also use the colloidal silver but if I but to get rid of the rest, I did that shampoo routene.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

The collyrium should be same as making the boric acid solution, and is easier. If his folds aren't itchy or irritated then hopefully you can just do the regular wiping with baby wipes and then drying or wiping with duoxo wipes like most people do, after his surgery, as the tear stains will go away. If the collyrium doesn't work in the time being you can try the shampoo like I suggested or the colloidal silver.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Nope, I Believe that when you stop or control the tearing, and continue cleaning it will go away but you have to be diligent to get rid of.. hanks did.. I had the surgery, and will still need the cleaning the folds. I also use the colloidal silver but if I but to get rid of the rest, I did that shampoo routene.

I totally forgot Hank had the surgery! I am constantly wiping and drying and cleaning his folds right now but there is just no stopping the tearing. So hopefully once he has the surgery, it will be much easier to manage.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Jill is right. It's not just an eye issue but a white face n pigmentation issue. Hate to say it but you'll always have tear stains on a white face dog if you're not diligent. Trust me if I ever get another dog....won't have any white on the face.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
For torn tendons or if your furball had surgery or not n you're trying to relieve a bad swelling, here's a mix (also for humans)

10 drops of peppermint
5 of Marjoram n tea tree
6 drops of rosemary
2 drops of Lemongrass
3 drops of Helichrysum (great stuff!!!)

Mix all in with 2 oz of Fractionated coconut oil n massage in for 5 mins. You can use a warm cloth to open up the pores. You can use a spray bottle if its too distressing.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
oh boy.. did you or do you have that book?? I love things 'in print' and this looks wonderful. I print lots of stuff out but would be nice to have it all together, organized in one book.

No I don't have that one but I did look at it and seems very good especially for someone that isnt sure what to do with oils.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Below is a link one of our member uses Frankincense essential oil to STOP tremors on his little guy Sausage. Check it out! Good job [MENTION=6424]Tank1023[/MENTION] !!

https://www.facebook.com/jerry.montella.9/posts/10214983522840126

This is my little guy sausage he has idiopathic tremors. We use frankincense essential oils on pads and ears and it goes away.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Iā€™ve been researching for sometime Black seed oil. Just like in humans you can give it to dogs. Skin issues, asthma n more itā€™s another top notch quality oil.

For dogs...5 ml black cumin oil thatā€™s a teaspoon.BUT yes a but....if your dog or yourself have EXTREME allergies start with a smaller amount n build up. Read the links... for humans I personally take 2 teaspoon per day total of 2000mg.

https://www.dogvills.com/can-you-give-a-dog-black-seed-oil/
https://catvills.com/black-seed-for-cats-really-safe/

https://theblessedseed.com/natural-black-seed-remedies/

https://www.nigella--sativa.com/dosage-for-black-seed-oil-and-seeds.html

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.