helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Thank you, [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] This little rescue Katie has allergies. First time allergy dog in all my years (and dogs). I have been really lucky,I guess!

Well from what ive read in all your posts, you're a smart cookie, great adviser and I know you've tried almost everything...from food to cleaning everything surrounding her. If nothing works most of the time is just bad habits a rescue will develop. Very challenging when you take over rescues. A bit like fostering children. Most comes with baggages. I would definitely try some oils mentioned in the links. You have nothing to lose. Worst case scenario, Katie will have fresh breath.... lollll sorry had to say it...was funny! Ok ok... she n your other furballs will benefit from the oils.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
on this 'essential oils' I was reading that vanilla extract is good to add when using teatree etc as it opens the blood vessels and allows the stuff to penetrate better. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], have you info on this?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
on this 'essential oils' I was reading that vanilla extract is good to add when using teatree etc as it opens the blood vessels and allows the stuff to penetrate better. [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION], have you info on this?

It's proven in studies vanilla oil it's a huge antioxidant so fights cancer cells. Wait got something for you. Brb.....
:rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog::computer::rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog: find it! Have a big file on all my websites for oils......read this....

https://draxe.com/vanilla-oil/

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
I use dark glass bottles as any oils even example extra virgin olive oil needs to be protected from light. Why they make dark bottles or cans for EVOO. Essential oils most in this recipe are anti inflammatories it can irritate. I myself had for a few days an itchy ear deep enough that you cannot put a q-tip to damage anything. So I put the mixture on a swab and clean my ear. The ear absorb the oil and went on its own further down and I did feel the cool effect of the oil n it did started to have a small sting. Not dramatic whatsoever so I dont see it being an issue for the dog. Just DONT put it directly into the ears as I did it n no need to. It goes down on its own. Go around the canal with the swab is good enough.

I think your essential oil mixture for ears could be used once weekly for dogs with really dirty ears, and in between use a mixture of 20% vinegar/80% witch hazel on a cosmetic round to keep ears clean

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I think your essential oil mixture for ears could be used once weekly for dogs with really dirty ears, and in between use a mixture of 20% vinegar/80% witch hazel on a cosmetic round to keep ears clean

Extremely dirty or infected ears is 4 drops of CO n 4 drops of lavender. The regular ear mix I do it only once a month to maintain clean ears. Works for me.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Do you know of any mix to help rid of tear stains? I saw something online about mixing milk of magnesia with peroxide and corn starch and then a couple days later I saw an article from Dr. Karen Becker (I think) saying never use those things for tear stains. Louie will be having entropion surgery in January when he gets neutered but I am looking for something to help in the meantime. And maybe there is nothing much I can do until the issue gets resolved as his eye folds are literally ALWAYS wet.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
[MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] Do you know of any mix to help rid of tear stains? I saw something online about mixing milk of magnesia with peroxide and corn starch and then a couple days later I saw an article from Dr. Karen Becker (I think) saying never use those things for tear stains. Louie will be having entropion surgery in January when he gets neutered but I am looking for something to help in the meantime. And maybe there is nothing much I can do until the issue gets resolved as his eye folds are literally ALWAYS wet.

this isn't oils but.............. I found that the best to keep healthy folds for us us using [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] 's malasab/curasab dab of shampoo, (I wet one side of a microfiber cloth with very small dab on each corner) wipe down, and rince after a couple min,,,,, and then when dry, putting the desitin on the area. One of thos kind of 'blow me away' moments when I found how great this works.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

To be honest with you, I wouldn't put anything that will sting the eye. I just dont believe in doing that. From toying around with Duke's stains and ive been quoted a few times how his white is so white which it is, so far I fine if he eats no chicken even though he has no allergies towards it, he gets less tear stains. Another thing is that you really need to dry them on regular basis. What works for Duke as all dogs are different, is Colloidal Silver. But....that area really needs to be dry before putting it on. Also some other items some swears by is boric acid which you will find in contact lens cleaner. You can try lens cleaner! Liquid vitamin C was proven to help too. But I dont know if I would use destin. It's just a barrier as it wont solve the issue imo. Boils down is keep them dry helps enormously.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
To be honest with you, I wouldn't put anything that will sting the eye. I just dont believe in doing that. From toying around with Duke's stains and ive been quoted a few times how his white is so white which it is, so far I fine if he eats no chicken even though he has no allergies towards it, he gets less tear stains. Another thing is that you really need to dry them on regular basis. What works for Duke as all dogs are different, is Colloidal Silver. But....that area really needs to be dry before putting it on. Also some other items some swears by is boric acid which you will find in contact lens cleaner. You can try lens cleaner! Liquid vitamin C was proven to help too. But I dont know if I would use destin. It's just a barrier as it wont solve the issue imo. Boils down is keep them dry helps enormously.

The problem is it is impossible to keep them dry. His lower lids roll in slightly which is blocking his tear ducts. So I plan on doing the surgery but want to wait until he’s neutered so he doesn’t have to go under anesthesia twice. I think I have boric acid so will try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The problem is it is impossible to keep them dry. His lower lids roll in slightly which is blocking his tear ducts. So I plan on doing the surgery but want to wait until he’s neutered so he doesn’t have to go under anesthesia twice. I think I have boric acid so will try that.

Very hard to keep them dry.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey

I read this remedy on a website for tear stains if you want to try boric acid:
Add one tablespoon Boracic Acid to a cup of boiling water, mix well. Place several cotton swabs into a plastic container. Pour the cooled solution over the swabs and seal the container. Use one swab daily to clean away tear and face staining. Make up a new mix at least once weekly.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
this isn't oils but.............. I found that the best to keep healthy folds for us us using [MENTION=16884]Dollys Owner[/MENTION] 's malasab/curasab dab of shampoo, (I wet one side of a microfiber cloth with very small dab on each corner) wipe down, and rince after a couple min,,,,, and then when dry, putting the desitin on the area. One of thos kind of 'blow me away' moments when I found how great this works.
Sounds like the tear stains are from excessive tearing from a physical issue that needs surgery so not sure if you CAN get rid of them. But I find that rubbing my dogs eye rope down with duoxo wipes or acetic acid/boric acid wipes doesn't help. My dog has a damaged eye from before I got her that weeps and her rope gets very red and itchy and this 4 step procedure works for her:
1) Wet a round cosmetic pad and apply a dab of chlorhexidine/ketoconazole shampoo like ketohex/curaseb on it and wipe out wrinkle
2) Wet a second pad without shampoo and wipe out wrinkle
3) Dry out wrinkle with a 3 rd pad
4) Apply desitin or zincofax cream or similar if really red (optional)

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
If you want to try colloidal silver, you can make your own easily with some wires with alligator clips on ends, 2 or 3 9V batteries, a couple of 0.9999 silver one oz coins or bars (from a coin shop for eg.) and a wide necked vase, and distilled water. Takes about 5 hr roughly. I did it for fun but haven't tried solution yet.
colloidal.silver (2).jpg

Members online

No members online now.