Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Wanted to ask you already for a long time - do you think dogs are ok with strong aromas of essential oils? They have extreme sense of smell, so for them every aroma is 5000 times stronger than for people. And what we like, they not always like. For example, dogs like to roll sometimes in dung or pick up some rotten food and so on. I know that my Tank loves coconut oil smell, but lavender, orange, or pine, or rose oil - he sneezes and runs away. So, I use only coconut oil. For other aromas I imagine myself being sprayed with perfume I don't like...no, I cannot do this to Tank. How Nyala is with essential oils smell?

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wanted to ask you already for a long time - do you think dogs are ok with strong aromas of essential oils? They have extreme sense of smell, so for them every aroma is 5000 times stronger than for people. And what we like, they not always like. For example, dogs like to roll sometimes in dung or pick up some rotten food and so on. I know that my Tank loves coconut oil smell, but lavender, orange, or pine, or rose oil - he sneezes and runs away. So, I use only coconut oil. For other aromas I imagine myself being sprayed with perfume I don't like...no, I cannot do this to Tank. How Nyala is with essential oils smell?

I too cant do perfumes either especially the flower types or that Axe spray....man is that potent or what! Anyway, I always put the pure EO on Nyala's collar not straight on her unless it's mixed in a carrier oil like CO, Almond oil etc. If I need to massage it in for sure its mixed. I always have the diffuser on in the living room where she sleeps and hang around. I always have peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon grass, lavender on hand if she has guk in her eyes or snores more etc etc. To use any EO pure, you need to know how. Like Dr Draxe and a few others, he's very knowledgeable on oils. Smart man. So just start like on Tanks collar or add a couple drops of EO in a watet spritz bottle and soray where they lay down like bed, blankets....like that they lay down and stays on them. Read the essential oils thread. Lots of ideas on there.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
dang it I know you mentioned the defuser you like, but I cant find what
it was .. It may be in this thread but........... if your roundabout, and feel like typing,, you could go ahead and mention again ;) Also, i'll go back to dr draxe's site and see what he sais.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[h=1]Heavenly Scent - Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser[/h]@Hankster This is the one Helene mentioned.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[h=1]Heavenly Scent - Ultraasonic Essential Oil Diffuser[/h [MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] This is the one Helene mentioned.

Thank you Lynn. Was busy in my office. Closed the door all day so i dont get bothered. Lol
[MENTION=16280]Hankster[/MENTION] basically, you can buy any diffuser so long its Ultrasonic Ionizer as it breaks down the oil in the water. We all know water n oil wont mix. So just read before buying.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
CHOOSING THE RIGHT CARRIER OIL

When diluting your essential oils with a carrier oil, it is important to choose a carrier oil that will not further irritate your skin.*Many of these carrier oils are rich in nutrients, vitamins and fatty acids.The right Carrier oil not only helps nourish the skin, but maximize your skin’s ability to absorb the healing abilities of essential oils.*

To find the right carrier oil for you, consider some of the following:

Jojoba Oil:*If you are suffering from dry skin, this golden oil moisturizes and softens chapped, dry skin.
Castor Oil:*This anti-inflammatory and antibacterial oil soothes chapped skin and provides necessary moisture.
Avocado Oil:*Rich in vitamins, avocado oil helps essential oils blend easily into the skin.
Macadamia Oil:*Macadamia oil contains the compound palmitoleic acid, which mimics oil excreted in young skin. Use this carrier oil if you want to bring moisturized balance to your skin.
Coconut Oil:*Coconut oil is full of fatty acids to moisturize the skin. This nourishing oil also contains antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties that will help fight any skin condition causing skin itchiness.
Aloe Vera Gel:*Although not an oil, aloe vera gel is a great carrier. This soothing gel not only heals the skin, but it also brings moisture and brings immediate relief to itching. Keep this gel in the refrigerator for an extra cool healing treat.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Just noticed you can get an ultrasonic essential oil diffuser at Fasttech from China for 21.89 US

https://www.fasttech.com/products/2246/10034521/7549103-silent-ultrasonic-essential-oil-aroma-diffuser

Here are some links that will help you all to buy and shop for proper items, oils, a lot of good reading on oils and more.

Now note that what oils you use for yourself/airborne is the same for dog. BUT for the ones you rub or digest can be a bit strong so use less drops in your carrier oil. I DO NOT give Nyala any oils to digest except coconut oil, salmon etc. She's home cooked so she eats well. I need to do more research on digestible oils. :)

Heavenly Scent - Ultrasonic Essential Oil Diffuser - Aromatherapy (Essential Oils)
This is the diffuser i have.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essential_oil

Essential Oils Might Be the New Antibiotics - The Atlantic

https://us.nyrorganic.com/shop/whol...tegory/books/product/7861/essential-oil-book/

https://www.newdirectionsaromatics.ca/arborvitae-wild-essential-oil-p-176.html

http://aromatherapybible.com/

http://www.anandaapothecary.com/

http://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/2013/05/homemade-remedies-for-pets-using-essential-oils.html

http://www.aromaweb.com/essentialoils/default.asp

http://draxe.com/essential-oil-uses-benefits/

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
No, I'm not going to get it, since I'm not into essential oils for diffusing, just topical use, but I thought someone who wants to start diffusing essential oils might like it. Hint: sometimes if you choose e-packet shipping route for 0.29 more it will arrive a lot faster.

If I was sick and wanted to inhale something to get better, I would probably dilute thieves oil and put it on my chest and throat, not diffuse it. The thieves oil has an interesting history, originating in legend with robbers in France using it to protect themselves from disease while robbing plague victims.

Another interesting use for these essential oils is to mix in (optionally) with coconut oil and baking soda and corn meal to create underarm deodorant. It's not tolerated too well though by people with sensitive skin since the baking soda makes it too alkaline.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Interesting stuff here. I have had the 'thieves' oil in the past. Havent for a while but now want to get again ;) . I do have a defuser in my bedroom, but with all this dry air, It seems that I may love this one as I would like to have it for the bigger room.. Will do more reading on it :) anyway, thanks. And.......... Never heard of "e-packet" will check that out :)
No, I'm not going to get it, since I'm not into essential oils for diffusing, just topical use, but I thought someone who wants to start diffusing essential oils might like it. Hint: sometimes if you choose e-packet shipping route for 0.29 more it will arrive a lot faster.

If I was sick and wanted to inhale something to get better, I would probably dilute thieves oil and put it on my chest and throat, not diffuse it. The thieves oil has an interesting history, originating in legend with robbers in France using it to protect themselves from disease while robbing plague victims.

Another interesting use for these essential oils is to mix in (optionally) with coconut oil and baking soda and corn meal to create underarm deodorant. It's not tolerated too well though by people with sensitive skin since the baking soda makes it too alkaline.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Interesting stuff here. I have had the 'thieves' oil in the past. Havent for a while but now want to get again ;) . I do have a defuser in my bedroom, but with all this dry air, It seems that I may love this one as I would like to have it for the bigger room.. Will do more reading on it :) anyway, thanks. And.......... Never heard of "e-packet" will check that out :)

You can also make it yourself. Yes it is an interesting story. Good stuff

The powerful essential oil recipe with 18 uses ? toothpaste, laundry detergent, floor cleaner and more

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank

Members online

No members online now.