General Question ACL problems again....

Julie Kerr

May 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
I have a bulldog that is almost 12 yrs. old!!!! He has some minor issues but is very much ALIVE! Over the weekend he was ran over by a delivery truck...yes, so sad...the good news of course is that he is still with us...no internal injuries, drinking eating still like a beast, BUT his ACL surgery he had 10 yrs. ago is torn again....he was pretty scrapped up but the dragging of the leg is too much to bare. Surgery again??!!! Can he make it through it? Remember he is very old people. Harley is home with us and we are waiting for vet to call back on what he recommends. I am personally nervous about him going under the knife. Plus, we all know how horrible the rehabilitation time is. Anything for our fur baby though. We are distraught. My question would finally be, sorry, I had to vent a little, do leg braces work? My husband ordered a bulldog type of ACL brace that we are anxiously awaiting it's arrival...has anyone had any experience with this type of device for a 63 pound, old bulldog, gone through ACL surgery once already? Help and thanks to all, Julie

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Julie...First welcome to EBN :welcome4: Jewel and Bentley say hello to you and Harley.

I very much sympathize with you and Harley's quality of life. Our Jewel (3years old now) has had the surgery. Most recently, our boy Bentley (2.5 years old) is now having an issue and will be evaluated in one week by an Ortho. In addition, there are many EBNers whose fur babies have gone through the surgery as well as yourself and are fully aware of the rehabilitation process.

It is a big dilemma that you are faced with. If Harley is the running type of bulldog that my Bentley is (aka Ball Junkie), I would most likely talk to your vet and get his/her opinion on surgery. If Harley is more like a couch potato like me, then I would think some pain pills and rest is in order (in both cases). You can try the brace and see if Harley can do the things he like to do. Essentially, what will be Harley's quality of life with or without the surgery. You and your husband should weigh the options see what Harley thinks. Most definitely talk with your vet.

I hope this helps. --rj

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hello! I am so sorry to hear about your poor boy! I haven't had this problem(yet) and hope I never do, but in my opinion, I would do everything I could to avoid him having surgery,at this age. Any way you can keep him comfortable and out of pain. I would be very afraid of surgery at this age. BUT I am not a Vet. and I wish him the best,but it is ultimitely your decision. I pray for your baby Harley.Best wishes for the right choice.

OP
J

Julie Kerr

May 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Thank you! I am with you on his age being the biggest factor in him going under the knife. He is definitely NOT as active as years gone by so I am hoping and praying that a brace/support could do the trick for the rest of his bulldog life.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!

I agree, I'd be real hesitant on the surgery. I have not used a brace myself but a couple members did, trying to remember the screen names and when I do I will tag them to your thread.

sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers this will work

bengardradar

Community Veteran
Nov 11, 2013
Exira IA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Radar
Welcome to EBN!!
At 12 I wouldn't do surgery. Was the first ACL surgery the TPLO?? Have they given you any indication of how torn up the previous surgery is? If it was a TPLO and the screws have come out I don't think that you will have a choice but to do surgery, as those screws floating around could be very painful, but what kind of surgery I don't know - I am not sure I would try a TPLO again. If is was the other kind of ACL surgery (can't remember what it is called) I would strongly suggest getting a quality brace - MY PETS BRACE makes awesome braces they are spendy, but I think the quality is worth the price - I would also go with a lot of rest and relaxation along with some pain meds and an anti-inflammatory if your vet recommends them. -- I would also supplement with turmeric, if you don't already - you can buy it in the spice isle - I am not sure how much to add to hard food - but I bet you can find it online - I just googled it and Dog Naturally has a great article -- it really is kind of a wonder spice, pain reliever, anti everything, heart, liver, allergies, helping with a little of everything. I found pills online that I get for Radar, but once I run out I will be looking in the spice isle as it is cheaper then the pills I buy online. In the mean time assist him as much as you can - you can use a towel under his belly so that he walks with his front legs and you help support his rear end, no steps, etc.

Let us know what the Vet recommends -

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.