NAIL TRIMMING: Does anyone use a Dremel ?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I prefer to use a dremel when cutting my Bullys nails - clippers have always caused me to cut to short and cause my dog to bleed profusely. So I purchased a Dremel. I'm not sure I am using the correct attachment.
So, is anyone here using a Dremel to trim their Bullys nails ?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm chicken crap when comes to this as i cut a quick once snd cried till the bleeding stopped. So every 3-4 weeks i take them to the groomer for Dremel trims

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I used a dremel once, but couldn't stand the grinding noise and smell of burning nail. I use the trimmers, but use the "shave" technique. Just slice like a deli slicer a little at a time.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I use a dremmel on mine. Lockjaw cried like a baby the first time (we weren't even actually trimming his nails lol) - but now, tolerates it as he gets treats after every paw. Penny on the other hand just lays on me like she's in the salon. Lol - It doesn't bother her at all. I used clipper one time and cut Penny's nail too short- she cried and bled for like 2 days. Never again. Best time is after bath time (their nails are softer) or about once a month is usually good enough.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I use a Dremel. When Frank was younger, I used a nail clipper until I clipped too far and caused Frank to bleed. I have never had issues with the Dremel. I tend to do several passes of each paw so I don't spend to long on each nail at a time so it doesn't get too hot. I also wear lab goggles because of the nail dust. But it really doesn't bother Frank. He gets treats afterwards as well, which helps. It usually takes 5-10 minutes in total and that is with small breaks.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I have to cut Curly's nails one at a time while he is sleeping. Takes me about 10 days - then 5 days later I start again. He is so afraid of anything that vibrates or makes vibration or vacuum noises - he would be so afraid of me if I got a Dremel out!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I heard dremel can burn. Ive been clipping dog nails for few decades. Never had issues. I cut every 2 weeks cause I can't stand hearing that click click click in the floors. I think in all these years I clipped maybe 4x the vein cause it's the dog that moved. I remember way back my vet cut my dobermans nerve. Very gallant he grabs a long box full of fireplace matches the very long ones puts it on the nerve that was bleeding NOT LITE and crapped it stopped just like that! Seems sulfer stops bleeding. My GS when he saw the clippers he would run outside, lay on his side waiting for me to get out clip his nails. He knew he was getting treats. :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I use a dremel always. Usko's nails were so big that the thickest ones didn't fit in to the clipper. We had to do his nails weekly, Voitto can go for two weeks without his pedicure. We all think it's much more gentle way to this necessary evel.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I use a dremel always. Usko's nails were so big that the thickest ones didn't fit in to the clipper. We had to do his nails weekly, Voitto can go for two weeks without his pedicure. We all think it's much more gentle way to this necessary evel.

Boils down to what you are comfortable with :)

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I also use a dremel... a wireless one that is not very powerful! Izzy tries to lick it... yes she does! But since it's a weak one it doesn't hurt her at all! It takes me a long time to file all nails but it works... Izzy is very active so her nails get trimmed naturally which helps too.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Yes, my using a dremel works marvelously with Maximus. He just sits there and let's me do it. No problems. He has, unfortunately, two nails that curve and turn sideways - they are a problem. Because when they grow they grow and get close to the next digit's skin and can cause inury - so I can't use the dremel on them, I have to use a Foot file manually to trim those nails, but the dremel is terrific.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use a Dremel also. :)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I have always used a Dremel with a large sander. You have to be careful not to leave it in one place for too long because it can get hot. It takes practice. But I have had disasters with clippers over the years and think the Dremel is safer. One dog bled all over the floor and baseboards, running after I clipped too short. Mabel lies on her back and relaxes for her mani pedi. I have never had a dog do that before! :summer:

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I have always used a Dremel with a large sander. You have to be careful not to leave it in one place for too long because it can get hot. It takes practice. But I have had disasters with clippers over the years and think the Dremel is safer. One dog bled all over the floor and baseboards, running after I clipped too short. Mabel lies on her back and relaxes for her mani pedi. I have never had a dog do that before! :summer:

Penny does the same thing! Just about falls asleep on me while I trim her nails. Lol

Most Reactions