elderly but not done yet w/ tail pkt

L

luvdogz72

Hi.

So I adopted a 10yo spayed bullie from my local shelter. She's pretty overweight so I'm working on that. Dry eye too but that's pretty easy.

She does have a significant, tail pocket that needs cleaning but not is not smelly. She will not allow.

Bloodwork shows a high wbc so giving antibiotics.

Will be taking her in so the vet can sedate and clean the pocket.

Can't see a vet thinking amputation at her age. She's lived her whole life with this pocket and does not appear to have had anything but a cushy life.

How do you clean a pocket if the dog wants to bite.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
First off, bless you for taking her in. I also agree that at her age, I would not do the surgery either. It may take two of you to clean her tail. One to hold her firm while the other cleans. Praise and plenty of treats while and after you are done with the cleaning.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
key word, treats, treats, treats. Give her something while working on her. It is all about positive reinforcement. Associate a reward with cleaning her tail pockets.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First off, bless you for taking her in. I also agree that at her age, I would not do the surgery either. It may take two of you to clean her tail. One to hold her firm while the other cleans. Praise and plenty of treats while and after you are done with the cleaning.

key word, treats, treats, treats. Give her something while working on her. It is all about positive reinforcement. Associate a reward with cleaning her tail pockets.

Agree.... Two of you and lots of praise and treats.

Thank you for giving her a great new home for her senior years ❤️

Members online

No members online now.