Thread: Extreme thirst, wanting to eat more, missing hair

Bulldog Vet in Training Bizzymammabee's Avatar
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Raven (2011-2016), Tyson & Bella
    Likes (Received)

Question Extreme thirst, wanting to eat more, missing hair

Ok so now it's Raven's turn to scare the beejebus out of me. She had been battling a yeasty ear for a while and I decided to take her off of the Acana Grain Free Pork and put her on the limited ingredient Lamb version. Well the ear seemed to be doing much better but I have noticed for a while now she has been drinking a lot more water. It's gotten to the point that I find her trying to get into the shower stall after someone takes a bath to drink water and she gets up multiple times a night to go get water and look to see if her bowl has any more food. I also noticed that she has two spots on her back that are missing hair and she cries if I don't turn on the lights for her to go down the steps at night when she wants to get her water. I know she has slipped a time or two so she is always a bit wary of the stairs but that crying until I turn on the light scares me. I also noticed that she looks a lot heavier when she is still eating the same amount of food. Her normal is about a cup of dry, two heaping table spoons of wet or maybe some veggies as a topper. So she definitely shouldn't look so heavy and have a pot belly.

I made an appt with the vet for her saturday and will take a urine sample and have them run blood work and check her from top to bottom. I am really worried about what is going on. My girl is turning 5 in October and I can't imagine what my life would be like without her if something were seriously wrong.

Any ideas what could be going on?
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

2. Likes jimmyjj liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Extreme thirst, wanting to eat more, missing hair

Be sure they check her thyroid levels

sending hugs and prayers it is nothing serious
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

4. Likes jimmyjj, helsonwheels, nubonics liked this post
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Be sure they check her thyroid levels

sending hugs and prayers it is nothing serious
    From your lips/fingers to God's ears. Thanks.
    Always in my heart and never far from my thoughts. See you at the rainbow bridge my sweet little Monkey. R.I.P. Raven.

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi Beth, I agree with Christine, it's a good idea to,check her thyroid levels, but I was thinking it sounds more like it could be Diabetes, since she is so thirsty, and seems to be more hungry. I would ask the vet to give her a good checkup, and test her for both thyroid and Diabetes, both are easy to test for with blood tests. I hope it's nothing serious and Raven is okay. Please keep us posted.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

8. Likes 2BullyMama, helsonwheels, nubonics liked this post
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I am going to do my best to get a urine sample to take along with me so we have it and I don't have to wait to try and collect it and bring it back. I want answers ASAP to see what I can do to help her.

10. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Definitely signs diabetes would present. Use a low microwave dinner tray to catch the urine.Try and get it closest to your vet visit. We will be praying for your baby.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    Caitlin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Biscuit
    Likes (Received)

These are the signs my diabetic cat had before getting diagnosed except he lost weight instead of gained. It can go either way though. I agree, have them check blood sugar levels and thyroid. Diabetes can also mess with vision so that could be why she is crying when it is dark. If it IS that don't stress yet, it can be manageable with insulin. Hope it's not that though, keep us updated!

The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

For sure diabetes and thyroid needs to be checked. Go buy a spoon spatula and its much easier to collect the urine. That's what I use when I collect Nyala's urine. Wait till she starts to pee and slide it under. Voilà! Buy it like at them dollar store so you can throw it out. Oh and make sure you do not store urine in the fridge. I did that dumb mistake once...

Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samie and Hercules
    Likes (Received)

My rescue has Cushing's disease. He had it when we adopted him so I'm not sure how the symptoms originally started for him but I know they are extreme thirst, extreme hunger, urinating a lot, and it can lead to hair loss. He already had a lot of bald patches by the time we got to him and would always wake up in the middle of the night to get water before it was controlled. Maybe that's another thing to look out for?

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Beth
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

We saw the vet on Sat morning and he is checking her thyroid levels, for diabetes as well as cushings. He said he is thinking and leaning more towards hypothyroidism vs cushings. He said the missing spots of hair seem to be allergy related and a skin infection. Blood and urine results should be available tomorrow. I actually collected her urine by running behind her and placing a wee wee pad with the plastic side up, only got a little bit of pee on my hand. She was rather disturbed by my interrupting her potty break . I tell ya...the things we do to make these stinkers ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Likes helsonwheels, 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug helsonwheels's Avatar
    Real Name
    Helene
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Nyala n Duke
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lcliff87 View Post
    My rescue has Cushing's disease. He had it when we adopted him so I'm not sure how the symptoms originally started for him but I know they are extreme thirst, extreme hunger, urinating a lot, and it can lead to hair loss. He already had a lot of bald patches by the time we got to him and would always wake up in the middle of the night to get water before it was controlled. Maybe that's another thing to look out for?
    Never cease to amaze me how dogs are so like humans when it comes to diseases.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzymammabee View Post
    We saw the vet on Sat morning and he is checking her thyroid levels, for diabetes as well as cushings. He said he is thinking and leaning more towards hypothyroidism vs cushings. He said the missing spots of hair seem to be allergy related and a skin infection. Blood and urine results should be available tomorrow. I actually collected her urine by running behind her and placing a wee wee pad with the plastic side up, only got a little bit of pee on my hand. She was rather disturbed by my interrupting her potty break . I tell ya...the things we do to make these stinkers ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Oh to have been there to see the urine collection
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads