URGENT!!! Swallowed a whole mango pit

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
My wife was giving our broly at 7 months 46pounds mango and without thinking have him the mango pit to lick some more. He ended up swallowing the whole thing. Would his stomach digest it? Should I induce vomiting? I am hoping his stomach dijests it. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks in advance!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
How many bowel movements has he had since he swallowed the seed? After a couple bowel movements usually that's when he should poop it out. If not you might need xrays. But most of the ti e after a couple "poopings" he will pss it through. Keep an eye out for a seed :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Do not induce vomiting, as this can cause the pit to lodge in his throat. He will either pass it, or it will become lodged and cause an obstruction. I would call your vet tomorrow and see what he advises, Some times they can go in after it. Or he may just have you watch him for signs of and obstruction. Which are vomiting, refuses food and water, has diarrhea or shows signs of extreme pain. Then he will need surgery to remove it. This can be a life threatening situation.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with David, do not induce vomiting, a Mango Pit is fairly large and he could choke on it or the vomit. I would ask the vet as most things can be passed, but again a Mango pit is pretty big and he may have trouble passing it. I would watch his bowel movements, and watch to see if he passes it, you could also try giving him a high fibre wet food or some pumpkin to help him move his bowels. The vet will be able to advise you on what to do. Good luck, I hope he can pass it and avoid obstruction and possible surgery. Please keep us posted. Sending love, hugs and prayers.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I absolutey agree do not induce vomiting. How big was the pit? do you think it was small enough to move through and out? I would call and get my vets opinion. I gave brutus a double dose on his meds on accident once and my vet said inducing vomiting should always be the last resort as it can cause it's own set of issues including what ever went down getting stuck on the way back up and also you run the risk of the dog aspirating.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My wife was giving our broly at 7 months 46pounds mango and without thinking have him the mango pit to lick some more. He ended up swallowing the whole thing. Would his stomach digest it? Should I induce vomiting? I am hoping his stomach dijests it. Any suggestions or advice?
Thanks in advance!!

How is he today? did he poo it out?

OP
michaelsbroly

michaelsbroly

Nov 20, 2015
Hempstead, Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Broly
thank you everyone for all of your input [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] , Broly ended up throwing it back up later on that night!! We were so relieved when he did, we were soo scared that he was not going to be able to pass it. But thank goodness it came back up! thanks again!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
thank you everyone for all of your input [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] [MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] [MENTION=15310]helsonwheels[/MENTION] , Broly ended up throwing it back up later on that night!! We were so relieved when he did, we were soo scared that he was not going to be able to pass it. But thank goodness it came back up! thanks again!!

Well at least it came out and he's fine!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
That's great news Michael, I'm so glad Broly was able to throw it up, and he is fine. That's such a relief.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Great news!! It is always something with these guys!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy he threw it up and it didn't get stuck. Glad he is better. :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.