Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Dear friends, I need you advise! May be someone has similar experience. My 4 month old bullie got a cherry eye 3 days ago. Just out of blue after night sleep he woke up with a thing. I am doctor myself, so I knew what to do and immediately started applying steroid and antibiotic eyedrops and performed special massage, and after several hours his eye became fine. I am very happy for the moment, but the problem is as follows: we currently stay in China and in my city vets do not perform surgery with a proper technique, they just remove third eyelid gland. But I dont want to leave my boy with a dry eye, it is not the proper way to treat cherry eye. He is also too small to fly to Holland for surgery. We plan to move from China end of the year. So, my question is: may be someone knows, how long we can survive without surgery, bcs i know that it will probably happen again. I would like to hear from owners who had experience - how often in can happen after first time in prone dogs, may be you noticed what are the triggers of cherry eye (beside from anatomical cause)? I am very worried about my precious little bundle, please share your experience! Do you think it can wait till beginning of 2017 in case I watch slightest signs of problem and apply active treatment? Thanks in advance!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Welcome to the EBN... a lot of members had/have dogs with cherry eye. Myself had Nyala's repaired not removal of gland. Been one month and a bit. All is great. If you go on YouTube type cherry eye you will find how to push it back in. Very simple. But most dogs it comes back out. If your dog is very energetic like mine n most pups will be hard for them to stay calm. They're pups. Not much else you can do but push it back in, and accept it or surgery. Type in the search box above cheery eye so you can read what others did or doing. :)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
FTSE got cherry eye around the same age could massage it back in at first then just would not go back in he had it tacked not removed

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Mine got cheery eye around 5 months of age. I did not want to put him through more surgeries than needed, so we waited until he was 10 months to have it tacked back at the same time as his neuter. His first tack failed, so he has cherry eye again, with a 2nd surgery to repair it scheduled for June.
I think that as long as you keep the area clean and without injury, your baby should be fine to wait a few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Dear friends, I need you advise! May be someone has similar experience. My 4 month old bullie got a cherry eye 3 days ago. Just out of blue after night sleep he woke up with a thing. I am doctor myself, so I knew what to do and immediately started applying steroid and antibiotic eyedrops and performed special massage, and after several hours his eye became fine. I am very happy for the moment, but the problem is as follows: we currently stay in China and in my city vets do not perform surgery with a proper technique, they just remove third eyelid gland. But I dont want to leave my boy with a dry eye, it is not the proper way to treat cherry eye. He is also too small to fly to Holland for surgery. We plan to move from China end of the year. So, my question is: may be someone knows, how long we can survive without surgery, bcs i know that it will probably happen again. I would like to hear from owners who had experience - how often in can happen after first time in prone dogs, may be you noticed what are the triggers of cherry eye (beside from anatomical cause)? I am very worried about my precious little bundle, please share your experience! Do you think it can wait till beginning of 2017 in case I watch slightest signs of problem and apply active treatment? Thanks in advance!

Hi Natallia, I'll share my experience with Cherry Eye. My female Blossom developed cherry eye in her right eye when she was 5 months old. I knew what it was, from reading up on EBs before I bought my guys. I went online and read that it could be massaged back in. I was able to massage it back in and it stayed for a few days, but then if she ran or played it would come back out, and eventually would come out more often and stay out. I was at the vet for their vaccinations and spoke to her about her eye. I decided to wait until her spay surgery at 7 months old, so she could have both surgeries together. Since Tank is only 4 months old, he is definitely too young to have surgery yet, and I would wait until he has his neuter surgery if you decide to neuter him , so that he only has to be under anesthetic once. You can wait to neuter him anytime after he is 6 or 7 months old, and some people like to wait until they are a year old. I had my guys spayed and neutered at 7 months, because I have siblings and litter mates, and a male and a female, so I wanted to have them done before Blossom had her first heat. I think it would be okay to wait to have his eye repaired because it is not painful to them, but the eye can become irritated or dry from being exposed to the air. You can use eye drops or just plain saline eye drops to keep the eye hydrated. The other thing that happened to Blossom was that she had her spay and cherry eye surgery done, and then exactly a week later, her other eye popped out, and she required a second cherry eye surgery to repair the other eye, so unfortunately she had to be put under anesthetic again. This happens quite often that the other eye will also develop cherry eye, so it's best to wait to see if this happens. The second surgery was actually more expensive than the spay/cherry eye surgery together. The cost of the first surgery was about $600, and the second surgery to repair the other eye was almost $900 because she had to have anesthetic, IV fluids, and medications again, whereas the first surgery, she was already under for her spay, so the cherry eye was considered a secondary surgery, so was cheaper. I hope this helps you. I would talk to your vet and see what he says, and also keep an eye on his eye, he's too young for surgery right now, and if you wait until he's 7 months old to have him neutered, it would be August, and then it's only 4 more months until the end of they year. You mentioned you don't trust the vets surgical methods in China, so maybe it would be best to wait until you move and have both procedures done after you move. If you're lucky, his eye may stay in for a while, and you can wait.

OP
Lalaloopsie

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Dear friends, thank you so much for sharing! I've got the answers for all my questions and even more, and feel much more confident about what to do. Hopefully we will be able to keep this under control until we move to Netherlands and can get proper surgery. God bless you all and your bullies!:pray2:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.