Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
image.jpeg
I have attached the best photo I can of these 2 patches on Georges back they are about the size of a fingerprint I can't say they are bald but the hair is thinner where they are. The skin is sort of grey underneath from what I can see. He doesn't appear to be trying to scratch it but then again he wouldn't be able too.
Any ideas? He was recently groomed at a professional groomer would it be a reaction to a product? I did tell her not to use any perfumed products on him he was also furminated.
I introduced salmon oil recently into his diet and he is having some tear staining it seems to be with that could that be the problem with his skin? I haven't given it for 2 days now and his eyes seem better.
He is going to the vet on Thursday as all my efforts (and the vets) with his tail pocket have been in vain and he is having a tail amputation done :(. I will ask there about the skin too but I would like to have an idea before I go. Thanks everyone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Are the spots just on his back? He is under a year old, correct?

Sending prayers for Thursday that all goes well . ((Hug))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Are the spots just on his back? He is under a year old, correct?

Sending prayers for Thursday that all goes well . ((Hug))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes just on his back near his pelvis end not the neck end (if you get me).
Thank you it's a thing that I know will be the right thing to do but I'm anxious about how he will be after it. As you have had this experience can you tell me how they get on pooping afterwards? that's my biggest fear for after surgery.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
It might be the beginnings of alopecia..this is what our Abbott gets yearly here's a pic..
37553fa3c3f67b91eee8184fb1e41687.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Aww Abbott is very cute ;)
Alopecia I can handle as I've had it myself in some small spots (thankfully I've very thick hair and no one notices). But mine is stress related I hope George isn't stressed out :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes just on his back near his pelvis end not the neck end (if you get me).
Thank you it's a thing that I know will be the right thing to do but I'm anxious about how he will be after it. As you have had this experience can you tell me how they get on pooping afterwards? that's my biggest fear for after surgery.

Due to his age being under a year and where it is, it could be mange--- have vet skin scrape to confirm. With him fighting infection his immune system is weak and he can not fight the mites.

As for poo after surgery-- no issues at all. First day home he slept most of it then by day 3 he was back to himself and wanting to play and wrestle--- keeping them calm and not jumping is the hardest part

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Due to his age being under a year and where it is, it could be mange--- have vet skin scrape to confirm. With him fighting infection his immune system is weak and he can not fight the mites.

As for poo after surgery-- no issues at all. First day home he slept most of it then by day 3 he was back to himself and wanting to play and wrestle--- keeping them calm and not jumping is the hardest part
How do they get mange? Like where do these mites come from? But I can see where you are coming from he's been on some sort of medication nearly all the time since January and we would all be run down from that let alone a puppy.
I was just worried it would be difficult/sore for him to poop given where the incision is. I thought he would sleep after the neutering surgery but he seemed more hyper than usual after it I hope he isn't this time it's impossible to keep him calm when he's like that.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How do they get mange? Like where do these mites come from? But I can see where you are coming from he's been on some sort of medication nearly all the time since January and we would all be run down from that let alone a puppy.
I was just worried it would be difficult/sore for him to poop given where the incision is. I thought he would sleep after the neutering surgery but he seemed more hyper than usual after it I hope he isn't this time it's impossible to keep him calm when he's like that.

All dogs have mites... Some just don't have a strong enough immune system to fight them off. Others, young pups can get it from Momma

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
All dogs have mites... Some just don't have a strong enough immune system to fight them off. Others, young pups can get it from Momma[/QUOTE
Ah ok I thought that might be the case alright. I told my daughter she was like yuck mites I've been kissing him!!!
Today's the day anyway so hopefully he will be FINALLY better and he can now enjoy his life. I'll ask the vet about the skin scrape too. Thank you so much as always you are most helpful and I am very grateful. Will post about how it goes later.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
So George is tailless now, seems the worst part for him was the not earting as he was squealing and shaking after it and we thought he was in pain but once I gave him some bone broth he hasn't made any noise since except slight snoring that's not even as loud as usual. I'm hoping the night goes ok. I think he will be fine though.
The patches are a fungal dermatitis but the vet said he will let him recover from the surgery first then deal with the dermatitis in a couple of weeks.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
@Evilo

I hope he is doing well! Our guy often would break out like this and lose hair in spots and look "mangey." Turns out to be classic staph from allergies. Perhaps that is what your guys has. Good shampoo clears it up with frequent baths if it's environmental allergy related. (Our guy has to take Atopica regularly to keep this from reoccurring, sadly and was our last resort. I was at the vet every 3 months or so with skin that your doggie has and kept doing antibiotics over and over to clear it up). Dermabens shampoo or any benzoyl peroxide shampoo can help! I prefer it over the anti fungal or malcetic ones and it seems to work better than those.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thank you he is doing really well after surgery. I'm not as worried about the skin thing and we will see in a few weeks what the vet says. Thanks for the product suggestions when he gives me the go ahead to bath George again we can look at those. He's been on so many antibiotics for his tail pocket infections that I am reluctant to put him on any more after these post surgery ones so hopefully a simple shampoo or ointment can help his skin.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Yes [MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION], one thing at a time! Your poor baby! Honestly, for me, the skin thing, I took personal, if anything. Our guy never seemed uncomfortable o itched/scratched. But he'd have random circles of hair coming out and if you tugged, there'd be crust attached. And it would creep. One spot one day, 3 the next, 5 the next etc.

The edges would be crusty but never red/bloody/pus-y. It seriously looked almost like ringworm. One vet said seasonal flank which made me mad bc I was made to think I was crazy when there was something more going on.

My vet was baffled for a while, started with the scrapes for mites and on and on. Antibiotics would clear it up. A few months later it'd be back. Tried allergy tests and then shots for a year, no help. Finally he's on Atopica every 2 days which keeps it at bay. And even still he may get a random spot here or there, but a good bath with Dermabens gets it cleared right up. That shampoo really cleans the hair shaft and gets out any allergens. I used another brand I liked better but it's been discontinued. But the Dermabens has a nice coconut smell. You can order it online. :)

What is his healing time for his tail? Poor baby!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.