Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
I need some help.

This is kind of long :(

We took Murphy into the vet the 13th of April for a heartworm test-which was negative.
But his chin was extremely swollen, due to acne but it was also irritated.

They gave him a steroid shot and antibiotics,-cephalexin and had me get Zyrtec (1/2 pill daily for allergies)
All good and well. :)
Chin is amazing!
Well ever since that Wednesday he has had accidents in his crate in the middle of the night.
Not saying that it has anything to do with the antibiotics or the shot-they assured me it didn't.
It just started right then that Wednesday evening.
So I took precautions and only it towels on there, white ones to see how much pee and everything.
Then no towels and still happening.

We take him out at around 8:30 every evening and then get up at 4:30 in the morning everyday. He was potty trained two days after getting him last August.
And we've noticed he does spurts of pee sometimes.

So had the check up on the 27th, and I mentioned this to the dr.
She asked me to bring a sample in, which I did the very next day just because our appointment was so late I couldn't bring it back.

They never called that day or the next. So I called.
They said they would refresh the techs memory to do it.
Got a call back asking if I could bring another sample in because it had started to grow crystals and was technically bad.

So again had to wait one more day because he had just pottied.

My husband took it in today, and said this sample is still warm please have them look into this today. :)
They said they would call this evening.
They close at 5:30, 5:20 rolls around & nada.
I asked him to call and he asked about it and they said they had had actual more important things to do, and they put him on hold without telling him, he was mid sentence and they just cut him off

At this point I'm wishing I would have called!!
Couple choice words come to mind that I would like to use!

They get back on he line( the front desk receptionist, not a tech and not a dr!)and say that the urine
Has crystals and bacteria in it, and that the vet would call us sometime this weekend, so I'm assuming tomorrow. And that she would call and talk to us about hanging his diet???

I have Zero experience with any of this.
I am hoping he is not in pain of any sort-he doesn't seem to be but they are strong little buggers!

We did change his food about a month ago
Around the 19th.
It's kirklands grain free beef & sweet potato.
He seems to do well, I mean his other food was fine but wasn't grain free so that's why we switched.
He also gets coconut, yogurt, and filtered water with ACV.
On occasion
Apples
Peanut butter
Bananas

So crystals and bacteria?
Thoughts
Suggestions on who what where and why lol??
Thanks
Have to throw in a cute picture since you read the entire thing ;)
image.jpeg

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
It's to their benefit they didn't deal with me...and, I'd fire them.

It might be the steroid shot that made him pee like that, also...
think steroids should only be used rarely, could have used other
things to clear up chin before resorting to steroids.

Find a bully experienced Vet and take a sample of fresh urine
for 2nd opinion. Please update us, I send hugs & prayers <3

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Did they say what type of crystals? That is very important. If they were struvites you don't need to change her food, just give her some vitamin C or cranberry. There is also supplements available to help this, one is called Urinaid. Also steroids can increase urinating, more with some dogs than others.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry, cannot offer any advice on this, but I like the picture!

Incredibly unservice-minded vet's office. If they don't shape up I would look for another place!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Eh, I'd be looking for a new vet office. I have been going to the same vet for over 12 years and never have I heard of them not doing a test upon receipt of a sample. An, for the person to say to you, 'they have important things to do'.... sorry, but everything they do is important because they are there for the health of the animals.

I'd be curious to know how long the second sample sat and is it really your sample? is there another vet you can go to just to get a second opinion? I'm wondering if the results are a false positive due to delay testing.

I'm cursing for you right now

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Did they say what type of crystals? That is very important. If they were struvites you don't need to change her food, just give her some vitamin C or cranberry. There is also supplements available to help this, one is called Urinaid. Also steroids can increase urinating, more with some dogs than others.

They didn't say what kind of crystals just that they were present and there was bacteria. And the vet would call so just waiting on them, again.

So vitamin C and cranberry

Cranberry pills?? Do you happen to know dosage?
And the C, is that regular vitamin C?

Going to write all the advice down that way when she finally calls and I can say hey what about doing this instead of your ridiculously high treatment plan.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Before giving her anything you must find out what type of crystals they were. Most likely struvites, but if they're something else you may end up doing more harm than good.

They didn't say what kind of crystals just that they were present and there was bacteria. And the vet would call so just waiting on them, again.

So vitamin C and cranberry

Cranberry pills?? Do you happen to know dosage?
And the C, is that regular vitamin C?

Going to write all the advice down that way when she finally calls and I can say hey what about doing this instead of your ridiculously high treatment plan.

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Before giving her anything you must find out what type of crystals they were. Most likely struvites, but if they're something else you may end up doing more harm than good.

Okay.
I told my husband to talk to the vet when she calls.
I wrote everything down about the crystals and the medicines and we want to know exactly what they found.
And to see exactly what kind they are so that way we can get all the information.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] is bang on and also like everyone above. Steroids can have a factor. Ive been through the exact same thing as you 2 months ago with Nyala. Firstly, I would "fire" that useless vet office! For them to toy around like so is not worth keeping. That's my 2 cents on your office!

Nyala was peeing often after her first long morning pee. Crystals stuvites as per the vet. BUT while I was getting ready to get dress and wait for office to open I put the pee in the fridge. Bad bad mistake as cold urine while it was warm and fridge will crystallize. Duhhh me and I had like 90's in science. Lolll... but what peed "me" off is I did tell them it was in the fridge. Nope came out with sample showed me the crystals in the bottom of test tube. First thing came out of the warden secretary mouth was "Nyala needs to change her food to RC" pffffft yeah right. I would take sample of her first pee 3x a week. Only once came out cloudy cause was due to not drinking enough water. So I added more water to her Home cooking meal toped her bowl and never had issues since then. I can go back to her kibbles now but heh, why change something that is not broken :)

Im not saying to change your food cause it can be in your case injection.

For real, go to another vet with fresh first morning pee sample.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Eh, I'd be looking for a new vet office. I have been going to the same vet for over 12 years and never have I heard of them not doing a test upon receipt of a sample. An, for the person to say to you, 'they have important things to do'.... sorry, but everything they do is important because they are there for the health of the animals.

I'd be curious to know how long the second sample sat and is it really your sample? is there another vet you can go to just to get a second opinion? I'm wondering if the results are a false positive due to delay testing.

I'm cursing for you right now

Exactly! I would be looking for a new vet after they told me that line. And i would be wondering too about that result if they are that unprofessional to begin with.

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Update,
No call again, so we called and they said that they would relay the message to the vet.

I did make an appointment at another vet for Wednesday, so if they don't call tomorrow then we will be going to the new vet.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Update,
No call again, so we called and they said that they would relay the message to the vet.

I did make an appointment at another vet for Wednesday, so if they don't call tomorrow then we will be going to the new vet.

OMG RELAY??? FIRE HER ***!!! lolllll no matter what, bring a fresh pee sample to the new vet. :pray:

OP
Kimberlie

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
They just called at 7.
She said he has struvite crystals.
So start him on cranberry pills
And she will get us antibiotics, pain medication & anti inflammatory pills.

We will we how that goes, and not change his food yet.

But she said no more yogurt Or apple cider vinegar in his water.
And to add a little salt to his food, so he will drink lots and lots of water.

I think I need to buy a pill organizer!

- - - Updated - - -

I actually went to our immediate care and asked for a sterile urine cup.
Haha
So we have that for his re check when we go back in a week or so.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Why can't you give ice cubes and/or a lil extra water to his food instead
of salting his water?

I don't like or trust these people, don't even trust it's his urine sample.

Hoping Murphy gets better, please update afterwards, thank you.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
They just called at 7.
She said he has struvite crystals.
So start him on cranberry pills
And she will get us antibiotics, pain medication & anti inflammatory pills.

We will we how that goes, and not change his food yet.

But she said no more yogurt Or apple cider vinegar in his water.
And to add a little salt to his food, so he will drink lots and lots of water.

I think I need to buy a pill organizer!

- - - Updated - - -

I actually went to our immediate care and asked for a sterile urine cup.
Haha
So we have that for his re check when we go back in a week or so.

[MENTION=14691]Kimberlie[/MENTION] check out the video. It's brilliant. The app is FREE!

Shark Tank Products | Petnostics - Urine Test for Dogs and Cats - Shark Tank Products

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online