General Question How long to wait before spaying?

JerseyGirl

Apr 19, 2016
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Hi Everyone :)

I'm hoping to get some guidance on how old Jersey should be before we get her spayed.

I've heard it should be done before the first heat, yet the vet told me with bulldogs it is important to wait until after their first heat. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mitra

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I waited until Regina was 1 year old. I wanted to let her mature some before messing with her hormones. I bought soggy diapers and panty liners to keep on her when she was inside. I also didn't leave her diapered if she was crated.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
We got Penny spayed before her first heat at 6 months. But I also had an in tact male in the house and DID NOT want puppies in my future! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
We got Penny spayed before her first heat at 6 months. But I also had an in tact male in the house and DID NOT want puppies in my future! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We will be doing this. Daisy just turned 6 months but with Hank in the house, I don't want an unexpected surprise. I'll be scheduling Daisy's spay soon.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
We will be doing this. Daisy just turned 6 months but with Hank in the house, I don't want an unexpected surprise. I'll be scheduling Daisy's spay soon.

She's almost a year old now and doing great. She recovered quickly from her surgery and hasn't had any issues.
Good luck and keep us posted on when Daisy gets hers done!

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
She's almost a year old now and doing great. She recovered quickly from her surgery and hasn't had any issues.
Good luck and keep us posted on when Daisy gets hers done!
I definitely will!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi Everyone :)

I'm hoping to get some guidance on how old Jersey should be before we get her spayed.

I've heard it should be done before the first heat, yet the vet told me with bulldogs it is important to wait until after their first heat. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Mitra

Nyala was spayed a month ago she was 6 months. There's really no specific day. Like for males, I never had any of my males fixed except my GS cause he was very aggressive. You know, it never fixed his aggressiveness. So, from what I see n seen there is no day. Many years ago I use to breed dobermams and back then you waited till their first period not before. Today, most vets finds it the sooner the better $$$$ My breeder didn't want any of her females bred so she insisted on 6 months. I personally, I would wait till first heat is over like back when. You never heard of issues like we have today on dogs. I would also not have all remove just "tied" the tubes. Like women, if you remove everything, other issues "can" appear later on, hormone problems etc etc. Dogs are the only animal that is the closes to the humans as in health wise. Ok that was my 2 long cents for a simple question. Lolllll well I just wanted you to see and think about options n reality. :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My girls were spayed at one year old, and they hadn't come in heat yet.

OP
JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl

Apr 19, 2016
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
I waited until Regina was 1 year old. I wanted to let her mature some before messing with her hormones. I bought soggy diapers and panty liners to keep on her when she was inside. I also didn't leave her diapered if she was crated.

Thanks for the advice! Great suggestion on the diapers and not crating her with diapers on. Thanks again :)

OP
JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl

Apr 19, 2016
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jersey
Nyala was spayed a month ago she was 6 months. There's really no specific day. Like for males, I never had any of my males fixed except my GS cause he was very aggressive. You know, it never fixed his aggressiveness. So, from what I see n seen there is no day. Many years ago I use to breed dobermams and back then you waited till their first period not before. Today, most vets finds it the sooner the better $$$$ My breeder didn't want any of her females bred so she insisted on 6 months. I personally, I would wait till first heat is over like back when. You never heard of issues like we have today on dogs. I would also not have all remove just "tied" the tubes. Like women, if you remove everything, other issues "can" appear later on, hormone problems etc etc. Dogs are the only animal that is the closes to the humans as in health wise. Ok that was my 2 long cents for a simple question. Lolllll well I just wanted you to see and think about options n reality. :)

Thank you :) My vet suggested we wait until after her first heat as well. I have just heard so many different things that I wanted to get input from this forum. I appreciate your input and the suggestions from other members.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.