Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyperkeratosis of the Nose

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default Hyperkeratosis of the Nose

My Bully, Maximus, has Hyperkeratosis on all four paws and also his Nose. I do use 'Snout Soother' but find the effects don't last long, and large chunks of Maximus' nose actually fall off. His nose is forever cracked and dry, and brittle, very brittle.

Has anyone else ever experienced this with their Bulldog ?

2. Likes apennycuff liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hyperkeratosis of the Nose

My boxer had a horrible time w/it… I found a solution that worked for her. I took a warm washcloth and scrubbed her nose down really good, then patted it dry then I would put Aquaphor on her nose liberally. I did this every couple of days, until it got to the point where once a week was enough.

She never had issues w/her paws, but I guess you could try it there. I'm sure he would lick it off though… Lol

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

4. Likes 2BullyMama, rjisaterp, ChrisRN, apennycuff liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I have the same issues with Dozers Nose, I've tried everything from Vaseline, Burts Bees, and Coconut Oil, he licks it off every time. I do the same thing as Tracey, and use a warm face cloth when I bathe him, but it always comes back.
    I'm going to watch this thread and see if others have had better luck with this, or if they can recommend a product that has worked for them.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Well, I have taken Maximus to a Vet Dermatologist because of his Allergies, and I've talked to the Vet about the Hyperkeratosis of
    Max's paws - the only thing I can do for them is I have to trim them with a scissor and a dremel because there is no cure for
    Hyperkeratosis. The Key issue with the nose is to keep it wet and moist - with Hyperkeratosis on the nose, the nose is dry and cracked all of the time, so it requires us to practically apply 'Snout Soother' or Vaseline or something to the nose on a daily basis.
    The nose does infact absorb what we are applying, and our Bullies can't possibly lick it off fast enough before it does absorb into
    the skin tissues of the nose. So the key is to apply daily, which Maximus just Hates!

7. Likes 2BullyMama, rjisaterp, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Lauren
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samie and Hercules
    Likes (Received)

My oldest bulldog has hyperkeratosis of the nose but not the paws. We applied snout soother for months with not much improvement. I then started applying snout soother 2-3 times/day for a few weeks and that seemed to work! If he likes it off you could try giving him a bone or peanut butter right after to distract him. After his nose got smooth we then cut it back to just applying it at night for maintenence.

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member jenzaar's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winslow
    Likes (Received)

Could anyone post a picture of this? Preferably snout (Winslow has it on his paw, haven't had his doctor check it yet but it's definitely there). Wondering about his snout too, but don't want to consult with google

Thank you.
    @Maximus i hope you find something that works!

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

It is difficult to manage, whether on the nose or on the paws - It is all labor intensive. Maximus' paws are really bad, the 'hairy feet'
    need extensive trimming with scissors, and it takes a long time to get it done. As for the nose, my Vet stated Maximus needs sections of his nose cut or trimmed, and that can only be done by his Dermatologist. For the time being I will continue with the
    'Snout Soother' but will increase the number of times I apply it each day, and see if it helps, so I thank you for the recommendation.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    It is difficult to manage, whether on the nose or on the paws - It is all labor intensive. Maximus' paws are really bad, the 'hairy feet'
    need extensive trimming with scissors, and it takes a long time to get it done. As for the nose, my Vet stated Maximus needs sections of his nose cut or trimmed, and that can only be done by his Dermatologist. For the time being I will continue with the
    'Snout Soother' but will increase the number of times I apply it each day, and see if it helps, so I thank you for the recommendation.
    try the warm cloth and foot soak before the trimming and application of the ointment.... see if it helps at all
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

@Maximus
    Our vet suggested breaking open Vitamin E caps and using that rather than balms or Vaseline. Maybe you could try that? I agree with the warm washcloth wipe before you apply. Our guy hates it so much though and licks it off or tries to rub his nose full of it anywhere he can including the furniture. Luckily his is not as bad as poor Maximus'. Is he possibly dehydrated at all? I swear I have to remind our to drink and have to encourage him by putting ice in his water.

13. Likes 2BullyMama, Texas Carol liked this post
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Well, thank you for the recommendation. Yes, Maximus has hyperkeratosis of the nose, so his nose is cracked, dry and crumbly, with large chunks of his nose falling off at any given time, so if I do not keep it moistened with 'Snout Soother' we run in to real trouble,
    although his Vet seems to think his nose looks good (Duh!).

Max drinks a lot. He also loves to eat Ice cubes. So I know (thank goodness!) that he is well hydrated most of the time.

15. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jenzaar View Post
    Could anyone post a picture of this? Preferably snout (Winslow has it on his paw, haven't had his doctor check it yet but it's definitely there). Wondering about his snout too, but don't want to consult with google

Thank you.
    @Maximus i hope you find something that works!
    Here is an article I wrote in it

The Pet Help Forum: A Pet Owner's Help & Support Community - Dry Dog Nose or Paw Pads - About Hyperkeratosis in Dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

17. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

@Maximus - I am no vet and lol your vet thinks he's fine - poor guy, has pieces of his nose coming off - but I am wondering this: Could the balm be doing this? I only ask because I think about what they say about chapped lips. Some lipbalms actually can make chapped lips worse if you keep using them. I only say this bc I was having an issue myself with chapped lips and was doing research, haha! Seemed like chapstick wasn't even helping it get better. I had to switch over to aquafor, Maybe something in that balm is not working for him as it should? I know all vets are different, but mine was anti-vaselines/balms and really stressed Vitamin E straight from the caps. I hope it gets better soon!

PS What is this condition from? I haven't had a chance to research much. Does he have any other underlying issues that cause this? (He is an EBD, after all! LOL) *I just saw the post above me. GREAT Article!

19. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads