Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Maximus has Hyperkeratosis of both his Nose and the underside of his Paws - he has "hairy Feet" so I have to clip with scissors all the fibriated 'hairs' on all four paws, which can get very bad and take me forever to get all of them trimmed. I think you are right, I need to use Vitamin E capsules for his nose, as the 'Snout Soother' I think may not be helping him. Thank you for the recommendation.

Ahhhh, poor Maximus (and you, it is a lot of work), my Cami has developed this
in the last year, both nose & paws. Her paws are worse, she has the hairy pads
and has horny growths that grow out & taper like a nail & are right beside her
nails too, very weird. I researched & tried stuff, not much help & no cure just
maintenance. She goes to the Vet every 3 weeks to keep growths cut off & hairy
pads trimmed back. The problem is worse if they're inactive, which she is. Haven't
tried Vit E but will & report back.

Maximus is blessed to be in your loving, caring home, hugs & prayers to y'all :)

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
My boxer had a horrible time w/it… I found a solution that worked for her. I took a warm washcloth and scrubbed her nose down really good, then patted it dry then I would put Aquaphor on her nose liberally. I did this every couple of days, until it got to the point where once a week was enough.

She never had issues w/her paws, but I guess you could try it there. I'm sure he would lick it off though… Lol

That's I do with Mabel. She now has a soft, cute little nose. But I have to be diligent or it all comes back. The vet told me to trim the paws, but those callous "hairs" are too tough and I am afraid to cut too short. My daughter suggested I use the Dremel on the overgrowth of her paws. It works like a charm! I give the large growths a sanding (never too close) with the Dremel when I do her nails now. It hasn't completely cleared them away but they look much better.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I have tried using the dremel on Maximus' Hyperkeratosis on his paw pads and it doesn't work for me. I don't know if I'm using the dremel wrong, but I can't get the dremel to remove the 'hairs'. So I have to clip them with a barber scissor after they are soaked which makes them easier to cut.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Yes, the Vet uses short, sharp scissors as well, on her pads.

He uses heavy duty nail clippers on the horny overgrowths of keratin.

I take her monthly, sometimes every 3 weeks...her nails grow quickly
and on her back feet, only grow out just a bit then start curving backward
(would grow into her pads if not cut) so can't let them get too long.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I find the dremel works great on the nails, but not on the hyperkeratosis 'hairs' on the paws. I have to soak the paws and cut the hairs with sharp scissors.

asherose

May 17, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
I swear by the Snout Soother (and the wrinkle cream...) for Sarge. When we got him his nose was is terrible shape. I read how many people on here recommended the Snout Soother and ordered myself the "bully" pack. Every night when I got home, I would use the warm washcloth and clean his nose...dry it...and put on some of the cream. He'd lick it off...typical. I learned he doesn't move much if he's sleeping so now at night when he dozes off, I put more on. His nose is BEAUTIFUL now!!! Seriously, it's got such good color and stays moist. I still put the soother on everyday but only scrub the nose every other day.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
UPDATE:

Well, I tried the Vitamin-E caps, and they did not do much good either. So I don't know where to go next with this .....
None of the balms have done any good, and now the Vitamin-E does not do any good on his nose either ......
I wish there was a remedy for this .

All I can do is continue with the Vitamin-E and hope that someday it will eventually work .... but I think I'm going to probably have to apply it on a daily basis for it to work.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
UPDATE:

Well, I tried the Vitamin-E caps, and they did not do much good either. So I don't know where to go next with this .....
None of the balms have done any good, and now the Vitamin-E does not do any good on his nose either ......
I wish there was a remedy for this .

All I can do is continue with the Vitamin-E and hope that someday it will eventually work .... but I think I'm going to probably have to apply it on a daily basis for it to work.

Have you you tried placing a basin in the tub and fill it with warm water, white vinegar or apple cider vinegar and Epsom salts? Soak his front paws and then his back paws in the solution. Vinegar has anti fungal and anti bacterial properties and may help to soften his paws.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My boxer had a horrible time w/it… I found a solution that worked for her. I took a warm washcloth and scrubbed her nose down really good, then patted it dry then I would put Aquaphor on her nose liberally. I did this every couple of days, until it got to the point where once a week was enough.

She never had issues w/her paws, but I guess you could try it there. I'm sure he would lick it off though… Lol

The only problem I see with using AQUAFOR is that there is a Warning Label on the back of the tube, indicating it should not be
ingested. My fear is that Maximus would lick it off his nose and ingest it. I think I will stick with the Vitamin-E for now and see
what happens until Maximus sees the Dermatologist in October.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The only problem I see with using AQUAFOR is that there is a Warning Label on the back of the tube, indicating it should not be
ingested. My fear is that Maximus would lick it off his nose and ingest it. I think I will stick with the Vitamin-E for now and see
what happens until Maximus sees the Dermatologist in October.

Have you tried using the coconut oil? That may be a batter alternative...

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
What are the benefits of using Coconut Oil ?

We have a thread on here, I will try to find… coconut oil is great for the skin, and you can also consume it for healthy benefits. Some dogs are allergic to it, but many members here use it with great success.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus' nose continues to crumble away due to his Hyperkeratosis. I have tried salves, ointments, Vaseline, and Vitamin E. Nothing seems to be preventing his nose from cracking and crumbling away. It's horrible. I'm going to have to email
my Dermatologist about this. Maximus doesn't see him until October. :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Maximus' nose continues to crumble away due to his Hyperkeratosis. I have tried salves, ointments, Vaseline, and Vitamin E. Nothing seems to be preventing his nose from cracking and crumbling away. It's horrible. I'm going to have to email
my Dermatologist about this. Maximus doesn't see him until October. :(

Try the Aquaphor... I have used it fir many years without issue. The amount you use is so small it should not cause any issues.

Here is a sample of one treatment a friend used a couple weeks ago... Before/after

3ac74ea839cc482af7477a3fadf866c5.jpg

3a727362d3f9056226000510a4a16425.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online