Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My Bully, Maximus, has Hyperkeratosis on all four paws and also his Nose. I do use 'Snout Soother' but find the effects don't last long, and large chunks of Maximus' nose actually fall off. His nose is forever cracked and dry, and brittle, very brittle.

Has anyone else ever experienced this with their Bulldog ?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My boxer had a horrible time w/it… I found a solution that worked for her. I took a warm washcloth and scrubbed her nose down really good, then patted it dry then I would put Aquaphor on her nose liberally. I did this every couple of days, until it got to the point where once a week was enough.

She never had issues w/her paws, but I guess you could try it there. I'm sure he would lick it off though… Lol

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I have the same issues with Dozers Nose, I've tried everything from Vaseline, Burts Bees, and Coconut Oil, he licks it off every time. I do the same thing as Tracey, and use a warm face cloth when I bathe him, but it always comes back.
I'm going to watch this thread and see if others have had better luck with this, or if they can recommend a product that has worked for them.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Well, I have taken Maximus to a Vet Dermatologist because of his Allergies, and I've talked to the Vet about the Hyperkeratosis of
Max's paws - the only thing I can do for them is I have to trim them with a scissor and a dremel because there is no cure for
Hyperkeratosis. The Key issue with the nose is to keep it wet and moist - with Hyperkeratosis on the nose, the nose is dry and cracked all of the time, so it requires us to practically apply 'Snout Soother' or Vaseline or something to the nose on a daily basis.
The nose does infact absorb what we are applying, and our Bullies can't possibly lick it off fast enough before it does absorb into
the skin tissues of the nose. So the key is to apply daily, which Maximus just Hates!:(

lcliff87

Apr 24, 2016
Sanibel, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Samie and Hercules
My oldest bulldog has hyperkeratosis of the nose but not the paws. We applied snout soother for months with not much improvement. I then started applying snout soother 2-3 times/day for a few weeks and that seemed to work! If he likes it off you could try giving him a bone or peanut butter right after to distract him. After his nose got smooth we then cut it back to just applying it at night for maintenence.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Could anyone post a picture of this? Preferably snout (Winslow has it on his paw, haven't had his doctor check it yet but it's definitely there). Wondering about his snout too, but don't want to consult with google ;)

Thank you.
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] i hope you find something that works!

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
It is difficult to manage, whether on the nose or on the paws - It is all labor intensive. Maximus' paws are really bad, the 'hairy feet'
need extensive trimming with scissors, and it takes a long time to get it done. As for the nose, my Vet stated Maximus needs sections of his nose cut or trimmed, and that can only be done by his Dermatologist. For the time being I will continue with the
'Snout Soother' but will increase the number of times I apply it each day, and see if it helps, so I thank you for the recommendation.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is difficult to manage, whether on the nose or on the paws - It is all labor intensive. Maximus' paws are really bad, the 'hairy feet'
need extensive trimming with scissors, and it takes a long time to get it done. As for the nose, my Vet stated Maximus needs sections of his nose cut or trimmed, and that can only be done by his Dermatologist. For the time being I will continue with the
'Snout Soother' but will increase the number of times I apply it each day, and see if it helps, so I thank you for the recommendation.

try the warm cloth and foot soak before the trimming and application of the ointment.... see if it helps at all

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION]
Our vet suggested breaking open Vitamin E caps and using that rather than balms or Vaseline. Maybe you could try that? I agree with the warm washcloth wipe before you apply. Our guy hates it so much though and licks it off or tries to rub his nose full of it anywhere he can including the furniture. Luckily his is not as bad as poor Maximus'. Is he possibly dehydrated at all? I swear I have to remind our to drink and have to encourage him by putting ice in his water.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Well, thank you for the recommendation. Yes, Maximus has hyperkeratosis of the nose, so his nose is cracked, dry and crumbly, with large chunks of his nose falling off at any given time, so if I do not keep it moistened with 'Snout Soother' we run in to real trouble,
although his Vet seems to think his nose looks good (Duh!).

Max drinks a lot. He also loves to eat Ice cubes. So I know (thank goodness!) that he is well hydrated most of the time.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Could anyone post a picture of this? Preferably snout (Winslow has it on his paw, haven't had his doctor check it yet but it's definitely there). Wondering about his snout too, but don't want to consult with google ;)

Thank you.
[MENTION=701]Maximus[/MENTION] i hope you find something that works!

Here is an article I wrote in it :)

The Pet Help Forum: A Pet Owner's Help & Support Community - Dry Dog Nose or Paw Pads - About Hyperkeratosis in Dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Maximus - I am no vet and lol your vet thinks he's fine - poor guy, has pieces of his nose coming off - but I am wondering this: Could the balm be doing this? I only ask because I think about what they say about chapped lips. Some lipbalms actually can make chapped lips worse if you keep using them. I only say this bc I was having an issue myself with chapped lips and was doing research, haha! Seemed like chapstick wasn't even helping it get better. I had to switch over to aquafor, Maybe something in that balm is not working for him as it should? I know all vets are different, but mine was anti-vaselines/balms and really stressed Vitamin E straight from the caps. I hope it gets better soon!

PS What is this condition from? I haven't had a chance to research much. Does he have any other underlying issues that cause this? (He is an EBD, after all! LOL) *I just saw the post above me. GREAT Article!

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus has Hyperkeratosis of both his Nose and the underside of his Paws - he has "hairy Feet" so I have to clip with scissors all the fibriated 'hairs' on all four paws, which can get very bad and take me forever to get all of them trimmed. I think you are right, I need to use Vitamin E capsules for his nose, as the 'Snout Soother' I think may not be helping him. Thank you for the recommendation.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus has Hyperkeratosis of both his Nose and the underside of his Paws - he has "hairy Feet" so I have to clip with scissors all the fibriated 'hairs' on all four paws, which can get very bad and take me forever to get all of them trimmed. I think you are right, I need to use Vitamin E capsules for his nose, as the 'Snout Soother' I think may not be helping him. Thank you for the recommendation.

I hope it works - it may not, be could be something different to try. Maybe he's just become immune the the balm or it may have something in it he's just responding to. Hard bc the Vit e is a bit gloopy and our boy HATES it.

Wow, crazy about his feet, Our guy has a bit of it on the side of one foot. First time I saw it I was really freaked out. I've never cut it though and the vet never said to, I will have to ask. He's going in soon to have a growth removed on his eyelid. I'd been back here looking for answers and didn't find anyone with the same issue here.

But this is what we've been dealing with (similar to this person's post): Dog's Left Eye Problem

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Ha. Maximus has a ton of issues. He came that way. I was actually appalled when I got him home at 4-months of age and then took him to my Vet for his first initial exam. He was a total mess, from head to toe. His ears were infected, he had Giardia for months, he had Entropion which required surgery on the (L) eye, his skin and coat were a mess, due to the poor diet he was being fed by his breeder. It took me months to get this dog straightened out. He required daily care on just about every part of his body. The allergies
were causing him a lot of distress and I wasn't getting much help from my Vet who just prescribed Antibiotics constantly. He was never put on Allergy medication to clear up his skin and coat. And I had to change his diet real fast. Because of the Giardia --- he had to be put on a rice and ground lamb diet daily. So I had to cook rice and buy ground lamb and cook it twice a day for him.

So, here we are 6 years later, and Max now has to see a Vet Dermatologist every 3-6 Months, an Vet Opthamologist every 6-Months (and he wants to do Entropion Surgery on both of Max's Eyes). Max has already had Entropion surgery, and today Max is not a candidate for surgery because he is "Obese" at 85-lbs, and the Anesthesia would probably kill him.

Plus, in December he injured both of his ACL's. He could not have surgery because of the Anesthesia and because he is Obese.
We are desperately trying to get his weight down, but it just isn't happening. He is inactive, because he limps and can barely walk.
He is on Cosequin in the hopes it will help heal his joints in the knees. I have Pain medication for him and Anti-inflammatories for
him as well. He is a total care dog. From eyes to allergies to him having Hyperkeratosis on his nose and all paws. He is a full-time job for me. It's really exhausting. But I love him. He is the sweetest dog and I couldn't live without him.

So say a Prayer for me and Maximus please . . . Thanks!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online