Welcome to English Bulldog News! The #1 forum for the English Bulldog Enthusiast!

REGISTER today to share photos, stories, advice, get help and access member only features and forums.

P.S. Registered members do not see above advertisements!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyperkeratosis of the Nose

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hyperkeratosis of the Nose

Maximus has Hyperkeratosis of both his Nose and the underside of his Paws - he has "hairy Feet" so I have to clip with scissors all the fibriated 'hairs' on all four paws, which can get very bad and take me forever to get all of them trimmed. I think you are right, I need to use Vitamin E capsules for his nose, as the 'Snout Soother' I think may not be helping him. Thank you for the recommendation.

2. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Maximus has Hyperkeratosis of both his Nose and the underside of his Paws - he has "hairy Feet" so I have to clip with scissors all the fibriated 'hairs' on all four paws, which can get very bad and take me forever to get all of them trimmed. I think you are right, I need to use Vitamin E capsules for his nose, as the 'Snout Soother' I think may not be helping him. Thank you for the recommendation.

I hope it works - it may not, be could be something different to try. Maybe he's just become immune the the balm or it may have something in it he's just responding to. Hard bc the Vit e is a bit gloopy and our boy HATES it.

Wow, crazy about his feet, Our guy has a bit of it on the side of one foot. First time I saw it I was really freaked out. I've never cut it though and the vet never said to, I will have to ask. He's going in soon to have a growth removed on his eyelid. I'd been back here looking for answers and didn't find anyone with the same issue here.

But this is what we've been dealing with (similar to this person's post): Dog's Left Eye Problem

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Ha. Maximus has a ton of issues. He came that way. I was actually appalled when I got him home at 4-months of age and then took him to my Vet for his first initial exam. He was a total mess, from head to toe. His ears were infected, he had Giardia for months, he had Entropion which required surgery on the (L) eye, his skin and coat were a mess, due to the poor diet he was being fed by his breeder. It took me months to get this dog straightened out. He required daily care on just about every part of his body. The allergies
    were causing him a lot of distress and I wasn't getting much help from my Vet who just prescribed Antibiotics constantly. He was never put on Allergy medication to clear up his skin and coat. And I had to change his diet real fast. Because of the Giardia --- he had to be put on a rice and ground lamb diet daily. So I had to cook rice and buy ground lamb and cook it twice a day for him.

So, here we are 6 years later, and Max now has to see a Vet Dermatologist every 3-6 Months, an Vet Opthamologist every 6-Months (and he wants to do Entropion Surgery on both of Max's Eyes). Max has already had Entropion surgery, and today Max is not a candidate for surgery because he is "Obese" at 85-lbs, and the Anesthesia would probably kill him.

Plus, in December he injured both of his ACL's. He could not have surgery because of the Anesthesia and because he is Obese.
    We are desperately trying to get his weight down, but it just isn't happening. He is inactive, because he limps and can barely walk.
    He is on Cosequin in the hopes it will help heal his joints in the knees. I have Pain medication for him and Anti-inflammatories for
    him as well. He is a total care dog. From eyes to allergies to him having Hyperkeratosis on his nose and all paws. He is a full-time job for me. It's really exhausting. But I love him. He is the sweetest dog and I couldn't live without him.

So say a Prayer for me and Maximus please . . . Thanks!

5. Likes Texas Carol, 2BullyMama, MacAttack liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Ahhhh, poor Maximus (and you, it is a lot of work), my Cami has developed this
    in the last year, both nose & paws. Her paws are worse, she has the hairy pads
    and has horny growths that grow out & taper like a nail & are right beside her
    nails too, very weird. I researched & tried stuff, not much help & no cure just
    maintenance. She goes to the Vet every 3 weeks to keep growths cut off & hairy
    pads trimmed back. The problem is worse if they're inactive, which she is. Haven't
    tried Vit E but will & report back.

Maximus is blessed to be in your loving, caring home, hugs & prayers to y'all

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

7. Likes 2BullyMama, Vikinggirl, MacAttack liked this post
    Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    My boxer had a horrible time w/it… I found a solution that worked for her. I took a warm washcloth and scrubbed her nose down really good, then patted it dry then I would put Aquaphor on her nose liberally. I did this every couple of days, until it got to the point where once a week was enough.

She never had issues w/her paws, but I guess you could try it there. I'm sure he would lick it off though… Lol
    That's I do with Mabel. She now has a soft, cute little nose. But I have to be diligent or it all comes back. The vet told me to trim the paws, but those callous "hairs" are too tough and I am afraid to cut too short. My daughter suggested I use the Dremel on the overgrowth of her paws. It works like a charm! I give the large growths a sanding (never too close) with the Dremel when I do her nails now. It hasn't completely cleared them away but they look much better.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

9. Likes ddnene, 2BullyMama, Vikinggirl liked this post
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

I have tried using the dremel on Maximus' Hyperkeratosis on his paw pads and it doesn't work for me. I don't know if I'm using the dremel wrong, but I can't get the dremel to remove the 'hairs'. So I have to clip them with a barber scissor after they are soaked which makes them easier to cut.

11. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Yes, the Vet uses short, sharp scissors as well, on her pads.

He uses heavy duty nail clippers on the horny overgrowths of keratin.

I take her monthly, sometimes every 3 weeks...her nails grow quickly
    and on her back feet, only grow out just a bit then start curving backward
    (would grow into her pads if not cut) so can't let them get too long.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

I find the dremel works great on the nails, but not on the hyperkeratosis 'hairs' on the paws. I have to soak the paws and cut the hairs with sharp scissors.

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member asherose's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sargeant & Dutchie the Boston Terrier
    Likes (Received)

I swear by the Snout Soother (and the wrinkle cream...) for Sarge. When we got him his nose was is terrible shape. I read how many people on here recommended the Snout Soother and ordered myself the "bully" pack. Every night when I got home, I would use the warm washcloth and clean his nose...dry it...and put on some of the cream. He'd lick it off...typical. I learned he doesn't move much if he's sleeping so now at night when he dozes off, I put more on. His nose is BEAUTIFUL now!!! Seriously, it's got such good color and stays moist. I still put the soother on everyday but only scrub the nose every other day.

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE:

Well, I tried the Vitamin-E caps, and they did not do much good either. So I don't know where to go next with this .....
    None of the balms have done any good, and now the Vitamin-E does not do any good on his nose either ......
    I wish there was a remedy for this .

All I can do is continue with the Vitamin-E and hope that someday it will eventually work .... but I think I'm going to probably have to apply it on a daily basis for it to work.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

UPDATE:

Well, I tried the Vitamin-E caps, and they did not do much good either. So I don't know where to go next with this .....
    None of the balms have done any good, and now the Vitamin-E does not do any good on his nose either ......
    I wish there was a remedy for this .

All I can do is continue with the Vitamin-E and hope that someday it will eventually work .... but I think I'm going to probably have to apply it on a daily basis for it to work.

Have you you tried placing a basin in the tub and fill it with warm water, white vinegar or apple cider vinegar and Epsom salts? Soak his front paws and then his back paws in the solution. Vinegar has anti fungal and anti bacterial properties and may help to soften his paws.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

No, I have not tried that, but I will - so Thanks for the recommendation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads