Hank's first vet visit

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
I took Hank to the vet last night for the first time since we got him. I had to wait for the pet insurance to kick in. Vet says he looks great. I had her check him for a UTI because sometimes he would pee on the floor after just being outside, sometimes he would pee multiple times in a row while outside, he had some dribble accidents and he has been consistently having accidents in his crate between the time my husband left for work and when I came home for lunch (approximately 3.5-4 hours) even though he didn't have an accident from lunch till I came home nor at night.

She checked and said that there was no evidence of a UTI and that his pH was great (thank you ACV). She said his pee and penis area was a little smellier than she'd like so she gave him amoxicilan to treat a possible underlying infection.

Other than that, heart and lungs sound great, he got a set of shots, weighed in at 20 pounds, got his flea/tick and heartworm meds and charmed the pants off everyone!! The vet said that she isn't concerned about when I fix him. She said anywhere between 6 months and 2 years is good.

I honestly wasn't super impressed with the vet. She was nice but just started telling me how to care for a bulldog. I realize that she doesn't know me but if she would have given me a chance, I could have told her about all the things I'm doing for him. She didn't seem to care about what I knew or have researched at all.

I also asked her about feeding by calorie amount. She gave me what she recommended for his age and weight and it was significantly lower than what I'm feeding him. My husband and I had found a caloric chart for dogs online through a vet school and we've been using that. My vet suggested 550 calories a day but the recommendation I found says just over 1000. So far, what we're doing is working and he is steadily gaining weight so I don't thing I'll be taking away food at this point.

Question for you all:
-Has anyone experienced the type of infection she might be concerned about?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sounds it was successful even if the vet was a little rude about your knowledge :stinkeye:

Underlying infection, could be bladder.... but I'm more concerned that she just prescribed an antibiotic without running any addition test to confirm it. :ponder: Antibiotics are great for what they are made for, but you don't want to be using them if it is not necessary or not the right one for the problem.

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Sounds it was successful even if the vet was a little rude about your knowledge :stinkeye:

Underlying infection, could be bladder.... but I'm more concerned that she just prescribed an antibiotic without running any addition test to confirm it. :ponder: Antibiotics are great for what they are made for, but you don't want to be using them if it is not necessary or not the right one for the problem.
And come to think about it, she never bothered to take his temperature. I think that is the first vet visit I've ever been to that the vet didn't take the dogs temp. So, I agree that she has no idea what she's treating. Awesome (insert sarcasm)!!! I may need to look for a new vet.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
And come to think about it, she never bothered to take his temperature. I think that is the first vet visit I've ever been to that the vet didn't take the dogs temp. So, I agree that she has no idea what she's treating. Awesome (insert sarcasm)!!! I may need to look for a new vet.

here are the Ohio vets that have been recommended by other members here on EBN..... any near you?

Tender Loving Care Animal Hospital
Dr Janine Pepin
Medina, OH
330-461-9957

Animal Clinic Northview
36400 Center Ridge Rd
North Ridgeville OH 44039
440-327-8282
www.northviewvet.com

Dr. Hearst
Oakley Square Animal Hospital
3000 Madison Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45209
513-731-7900

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
here are the Ohio vets that have been recommended by other members here on EBN..... any near you?

Tender Loving Care Animal Hospital
Dr Janine Pepin
Medina, OH
330-461-9957

Animal Clinic Northview
36400 Center Ridge Rd
North Ridgeville OH 44039
440-327-8282
www.northviewvet.com

Dr. Hearst
Oakley Square Animal Hospital
3000 Madison Ave, Cincinnati, OH 45209
513-731-7900

Thank you for the vet suggestions. Most of them are a pretty good distance from me so I called around locally and found 2 options. I found a local vet who sees a lot of English Bulldogs. They wouldn't say they specialize in them but they seemed confident in their ability to care for Hank. The second is about 30 minutes away and the actual vet breeds English bulldogs. My husband pulled back the reigns though and said that the vet farther away could only be used as a backup or second opinon. He wants someone close so we are going with the first option.

I took Daisy to the new vet because she needs spayed and I had some other small issues I wanted checked before her spay. I really like the new vet. So nice and she listened to me. She really spent time with Daisy and she looked at everything. We talked for a good while and she told me that I was doing a great job with the pups and she wished all owners would take such good care of their pets. I felt a sense of relief when I left knowing I had a vet I could talk to. Way better than the vet we were seeing.

Hank goes in to see her on the 19th for his last set of shots, so I'll update again after that.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the vet suggestions. Most of them are a pretty good distance from me so I called around locally and found 2 options. I found a local vet who sees a lot of English Bulldogs. They wouldn't say they specialize in them but they seemed confident in their ability to care for Hank. The second is about 30 minutes away and the actual vet breeds English bulldogs. My husband pulled back the reigns though and said that the vet farther away could only be used as a backup or second opinon. He wants someone close so we are going with the first option.

I took Daisy to the new vet because she needs spayed and I had some other small issues I wanted checked before her spay. I really like the new vet. So nice and she listened to me. She really spent time with Daisy and she looked at everything. We talked for a good while and she told me that I was doing a great job with the pups and she wished all owners would take such good care of their pets. I felt a sense of relief when I left knowing I had a vet I could talk to. Way better than the vet we were seeing.

Hank goes in to see her on the 19th for his last set of shots, so I'll update again after that.

keep[ us post for sure..... on both fronts --- babies and vet. if you are happy with the treatment and people, may be we add them to our list.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
[MENTION=15669]Jellyfish[/MENTION]

Can you find a new vet? I can't stand that. I had a tech make a snotty comment that I had the wrong type of collar on our dog. I full well know our guy should be in his harness, but he hates it, and a trip to the vet isn't going to kill him in a normal collar. :rolleyes: I hope your you find the answers you need, sorry I can't help with them.

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
[MENTION=15669]Jellyfish[/MENTION]

Can you find a new vet? I can't stand that. I had a tech make a snotty comment that I had the wrong type of collar on our dog. I full well know our guy should be in his harness, but he hates it, and a trip to the vet isn't going to kill him in a normal collar. :rolleyes: I hope your you find the answers you need, sorry I can't help with them.
We did end up at another vet. The new vet hasn't seen Hank yet but she saw Daisy, my Frenchie, and so far, we really like her. She was very patient and kind and wanted to talk to me. She will see Hank on the 19th so I'll post another update then.

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Just a quick update: Hank went to the new vet on May 19th. The vet was great. We are going to stick with them. She gave Hank a clean bill of health. We talked about what I'm doing to keep him healthy. She said she wished all owners would take such good care of their pets. She spent as much time with me as I needed and I didn't feel rushed. We're happy.

On a side note: Send Daisy some positive thoughts today. I dropped her off this morning for her spay. I'll know how she's doing by noon. Needless to say, I didn't sleep to well last night. They keep her until tomorrow afternoon. It's going to be a long 2 days.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Just a quick update: Hank went to the new vet on May 19th. The vet was great. We are going to stick with them. She gave Hank a clean bill of health. We talked about what I'm doing to keep him healthy. She said she wished all owners would take such good care of their pets. She spent as much time with me as I needed and I didn't feel rushed. We're happy.

On a side note: Send Daisy some positive thoughts today. I dropped her off this morning for her spay. I'll know how she's doing by noon. Needless to say, I didn't sleep to well last night. They keep her until tomorrow afternoon. It's going to be a long 2 days.

Great update on Hank :)

Sending prayers & quick recovery wishes for Daisy. It will feel like forever, I've been there! But she will be home before you know it, keep us posted on her!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers for Daisy! Any update?

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers for Daisy! Any update?
Yes and no. She made it through surgery with flying colors but I don't pick her up until later this afternoon so I won't really know how she is until u gave her in my hands. I'll update again when she's home.

OP
Jellyfish

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
One more update. Daisy is home. She is doing great. She is almost acting completely normal. It makes it really hard to keep her quiet and resting. All she wants to do is play and wrestle with Hank and Hank wants to play with her. It will be an interesting 10 days.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
One more update. Daisy is home. She is doing great. She is almost acting completely normal. It makes it really hard to keep her quiet and resting. All she wants to do is play and wrestle with Hank and Hank wants to play with her. It will be an interesting 10 days.

LOL... Yep, hardest part is the wait to here it all went well and then keeping them quite--- good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.