Skin problem again and again and again

John A

Feb 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
sullivan
I've been a member of this sight for about 4 yrs now and have always read the forum but never posted until now. Sullivan my English bulldog is 4 yrs old now and always healthy besides getting hot spots since he was about 2 1/2. Always starts out as a spot that gets flakey then crusty hair falls out and if nothing is done it gets wet and bloody. As soon as I see the first signs of the hot spot I call his vet and get a prescription of Cephalexin and after about 2 weeks it is healed and all is good until it start all over again. He eats Fromm takes a daily Nuvet Plus Supplement has fresh water all day long and has been tested for mange. Could it be his food, I changed him over to fromm from taste of the wild about the time he started getting hot spots. Everone talks about how good Fromm is but I'm beginning to wonder.

Thanks, John A

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
The crusty flaky part that falls off and then hair grows back sounds like staph. Its usually triggered by some sort of allergen. Yes, it could be the food, but it can also be environmental. Has the weather changed recently in your area? Tyson gets that on occasion, I treat it and it heals, but they pop up randomly, and in different sizes. I found that Omega helped alot, if he was doing well on Taste of Wild, perhaps try slowly transitioning back. I am a firm believer in "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" -- could be something in the kibble. Tyson never did well with any kibble at all, so we went to The Honest Kitchen. Also, one more thing staph is highly spreadable, so if he has any beds or blankets, etc. I would get them into the wash on an extra hot cycle, then vacuum all areas & Lysol ;)

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I've been a member of this sight for about 4 yrs now and have always read the forum but never posted until now. Sullivan my English bulldog is 4 yrs old now and always healthy besides getting hot spots since he was about 2 1/2. Always starts out as a spot that gets flakey then crusty hair falls out and if nothing is done it gets wet and bloody. As soon as I see the first signs of the hot spot I call his vet and get a prescription of Cephalexin and after about 2 weeks it is healed and all is good until it start all over again. He eats Fromm takes a daily Nuvet Plus Supplement has fresh water all day long and has been tested for mange. Could it be his food, I changed him over to fromm from taste of the wild about the time he started getting hot spots. Everone talks about how good Fromm is but I'm beginning to wonder.

Thanks, John A

You're feeding your dog great food for sure. But not because it's great food it works for your dog. I would change. Few years of skin issues and you stuck to the same brand and still issues??? I would try something else. I know I always gave orijen to my GS for 8 yrs then when I got Nyala I did the same but even orijen is a great product she had urine issues. But that was her. Nothing is wrong with orijen. Now I home cook for here and she has a great coat, skin, no urine issues. I would be able mix both now see how that would go as per the breeder but heh, why change something that works fine.

Also do you give your dog any fish oils, coconut oil as that help alot especially for the immune system. :)

OP
J

John A

Feb 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
sullivan
Thanks TyTysmom, Yea I kinda wonder too if it might be allergies. I put him on Zyrtec this week too see if that might help, he was getting a lot of eye snot and that has stopped so maybe it will help with his hot spots.

OP
J

John A

Feb 12, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
sullivan
helsonwheels, Have him on sardine or salmon oil which ever the pet shop has at the time and doesn't seem to help, haven't tried coconut oil. How much coconut oil should I give to him?

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Thanks TyTysmom, Yea I kinda wonder too if it might be allergies. I put him on Zyrtec this week too see if that might help, he was getting a lot of eye snot and that has stopped so maybe it will help with his hot spots.

Yeah, could def be environmental then if you're seeing eye issues too. I know for us in TX, once the weather got warmer, the pollen was HORRIBLE, it totally messed all of us up! Including Tyson. I have to completely wipe him down with baby wipes after our walks to remove the pollen, etc he came in contact with. Sounds like alot of work, but its really not. Takes just about 2 mins or so and it helps him so much! Once the scabs fall off, you can apply a little neosporin. The good thing is that they never seemed to bother him much, I think they bothered me more. He hasn't had any in a while, but he does get them from time to time!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
helsonwheels, Have him on sardine or salmon oil which ever the pet shop has at the time and doesn't seem to help, haven't tried coconut oil. How much coconut oil should I give to him?

I give 1/2 tablespoon per day..... also, I agree with the gang, it seems more environmental than food related. Lambeau is getting his butt kicked with it right now, runny eyes, pink face, itchy paws -- all environmental allergies

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

Its usually 1 tablespoon a day but start with 1 teaspoon every 2nd day see how the stools are. If they are too soft do every 3days. The body will get use to it and then you can gradually go to 1 teaspoon daily then 1 tablespoon daily. Baby steps. Like Jessica mentioned wipe down your dog daily. I also do that daily al8ng with her ears n tail pocket. Also once a week rub Nyala with coconut oil. So far so good :)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hi John, you might want to talk to your vet about Cyclosporine or Apoquel - it sounds like your bulldog has some pretty bad allergies. We were in the same boat with our Truman. He did great on some foods but always itched and ended up with spots that would have missing hair, look inflamed - and some that even turned a blackish color because he itched them so much. He's on California Naturals Kangaroo and Red Lentil now but we give him a a cyclosporine every other day after trying every other allergy medicine in the book with no real improvement.

fortindycouple

Apr 28, 2012
Indianapolis, IN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack
Hi John! My bull dog Jack was experiencing the same issues and my vet had me start giving him Apoquel. In my opinion, it is a Miracle drug!! Jack looks and feels 100% better than he ever has. It's definitely worth discussing with your vet. Good Luck!! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.