Khaleesi

Apr 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
khaleesi
Hi so I just got my bulldog puppy 2 days ago and she was fine, no signs of any problem. Then on day 2 she started doing this thing where she would like wheeze, I think it's coughing, and after like 10 to 15 wheezes gag and she would just do it once or twice and stop. Then the next day every 30 minutes to an hour she'd do this and she'd stop, but she was still eating and drinking water fine. Today it was the same as yesterday so I took her to the vet they gave me Hi-Vite drops and Augmentin to give to her and told me they think it's an upper respiratory infection and that it'd should start clearing up in 2 to 3 days and to give her the medicine after she's eaten. Which is the main problem, ever since I have brought her home she has been sleeping and the she'll wake up and do the wheezing and gagging thing and then pass out again, she also feels very warm and has a lot of mucus coming out her nose. She will not eat at all even when I wake her up and try to put the food to her mouth myself, she seems so exhausted and I don't want this to be anything serious like pneumonia. I want to take her to the vet again in the morning, but I know they're going to charge me a butt load of money, which is fine if she needs this, but I feel like I might just be freaking out and maybe she'll eat and feel better in the morning. I'm not sure if anyone has any insight or any advice please let me know. I've been researching that children's mucinex is good, also steam from a shower with her in the bathroom, and lemon juice is good.

OP
Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Apr 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
khaleesi
Upper Respiratory Infection

Hi so I just got my bulldog puppy 2 days ago and she was fine, no signs of any problem. Then on day 2 she started doing this thing where she would like wheeze, I think it's coughing, and after like 10 to 15 wheezes gag and she would just do it once or twice and stop. Then the next day every 30 minutes to an hour she'd do this and she'd stop, but she was still eating and drinking water fine. Today it was the same as yesterday so I took her to the vet they gave me Hi-Vite drops and Augmentin to give to her and told me they think it's an upper respiratory infection and that it'd should start clearing up in 2 to 3 days and to give her the medicine after she's eaten. Which is the main problem, ever since I have brought her home she has been sleeping and the she'll wake up and do the wheezing and gagging thing and then pass out again, she also feels very warm and has a lot of mucus coming out her nose. She will not eat at all even when I wake her up and try to put the food to her mouth myself, she seems so exhausted and I don't want this to be anything serious like pneumonia. I want to take her to the vet again in the morning, but I know they're going to charge me a butt load of money, which is fine if she needs this, but I feel like I might just be freaking out and maybe she'll eat and feel better in the morning. I'm not sure if anyone has any insight or any advice please let me know. I've been researching that children's mucinex is good, also steam from a shower with her in the bathroom, and lemon juice is good too.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Re: Upper Respiratory Infection

I would take her in right away. She seems to getting worse and if you can't give her the medicine she can deteriorate fast. They can give her the medicine intravenously. Steam is great, but to me sounds like she could use emergency help. Keep us updated.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It does sound like pneumonia is developing..... Steam showers till you get her in the vet. Poor girl--- hope she heals quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Upper Respiratory Infection

Agree with RiiSi.... Vet is necessary sooner than later as it sounds like pneumonia is setting in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
Get her back to the vet immediately. Sounds like early pneumonia. My dog, Gigi, is going through a horrible case of pneumonia right now. Until you can get to the vet, steam her in the bathroom, stay with her so she doesn't over heat, but get her to the vet sooner than later

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with others, I would take her back to the vet. Is your vet experienced with Bulldogs? Bulldogs can be prone to respiratory infections and breathing problems, and you can never be too careful, especially with a puppy. You've only had her two days, so maybe she picked up Kennel Cough at the Breeders?, or a respiratory infection. Did you call the breeder and ask him if any of his other puppies have this! It definitely sounds like she may have pneumonia, especially since you said she feels warm, which would indicate a fever. She may need antibiotics. I hope it clears up soon and she feels better.
Please keep us posted on how she's doing.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
[MENTION=15814]Khaleesi[/MENTION]...I would definitely get xrays done to rule out pneumonia. I'm not familiar with meds you were given, but I was given an anti-biotic and predisone for my pups URI. He too was wheezing. No pneumonia.
Also try adding 1/2 an egg to his food, or mix in some wet food if he's on kibble. I know this always works for me when my pup refuses to eat.
Hope your puppy feels better today.

OP
Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Apr 26, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
khaleesi
thanks for all the advice we got khaleesi to the vet first thing the next morning got her on IVs and on her medicine and the next day she was feeling much better and playful again and she's continuing to get better and is taking her medicine now.

Jenni23

Mar 3, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
thanks for all the advice we got khaleesi to the vet first thing the next morning got her on IVs and on her medicine and the next day she was feeling much better and playful again and she's continuing to get better and is taking her medicine now.

That's so great to hear! I hope she bounces right back:) Good for you getting her back in so quickly! Did they take any X-rays?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online