Bad reaction to heartworm preventative

eckert5us

Feb 26, 2016
Chesapeake, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie & Otis
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with bad reactions to any of the heart-worm monthly preventatives? Per their instructions of their heart-worm protocol, I recently gave my newly adopted SPCA stage-2 heart-worm positive bulldog named Winnie a Tri-heart (Ivermectin) and 2 hours later she started to vomit, could not walk or stand, labored short breathing. Took her to the vet who administered benadryl and some anti-nausea med. She was feeling fine the next day. Her 1st of 3 heart-worm shot protocols (Melarsomine) is scheduled for May 7th. I'm looking for a more natural way to rid the heart-worms without these nasty side effects or at a minimum to reduce the side effects. Does anyone have any experience using HWF (Heart Worm Free) product or the newer Guinness Black Label Draught beer?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN .... sorry, I have no experience with heartworm medicine issues, we use Sentinel, have for many years without any issues. And, I also have no review of the new Guinness for you, but my nephew might -- I'll ask him :D

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
We use Tri Heart but haven't had any problems.We had this happen with Trifexis,sick,lethargic for 3 days.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

kathyp12

Apr 14, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo
Sorry :( I've tried natural heartworm preventatives but it just gave me headaches.
Sometimes, meds could be a fake. Have you ever tried Heartgard?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with bad reactions to any of the heart-worm monthly preventatives? Per their instructions of their heart-worm protocol, I recently gave my newly adopted SPCA stage-2 heart-worm positive bulldog named Winnie a Tri-heart (Ivermectin) and 2 hours later she started to vomit, could not walk or stand, labored short breathing. Took her to the vet who administered benadryl and some anti-nausea med. She was feeling fine the next day. Her 1st of 3 heart-worm shot protocols (Melarsomine) is scheduled for May 7th. I'm looking for a more natural way to rid the heart-worms without these nasty side effects or at a minimum to reduce the side effects. Does anyone have any experience using HWF (Heart Worm Free) product or the newer Guinness Black Label Draught beer?

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this with Winnie. I don't have any experience with a dog who already has heartworm or is heartworm positive. We use Revolution for flea, tick and Heartworm prevention, with great results and no side effects.
I hope you can find a safe and effective treatment that Winnie tolerates and she gets better soon. Sending love, hugs and Prayers your way. Please keep,U.S. Posted on how she's doing. ❤️🙏

knhamilton

May 2, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jade
My bully got sick with Heartgard... high fever, labored breathing, and anorexia.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I use Heartgard for FTSE he has one chewable tablet a month and thinks it's a treat he loves it and no side effects used this for my pugs too many years ago, I was having yearly shots for FTSE which I loved the idea of only once a year but we had to stop that as for other reasons nothing to do with the shots whatsoever these are all heart worm preventatives but if FTSE had a reaction like you said Winnie had I would most definitely change to a different brand. Does Winnie have heart worm?

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I use Heartgard Plus on all of my dogs, I have for many years. Elmo does Great with it, he loves the taste, but Elmo loves to eat anyway.

OP
E

eckert5us

Feb 26, 2016
Chesapeake, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie & Otis
Yes she does. Stage 2 heartworms. She is on Doxycycline (antibiotic) that suppose to kill the bacteria in which the heartworms feed off of. She is scheduled to get the 1st of 3 shots of Melarsomine in June. The SPCA vet called and said to give her benadryl 30 minutes prior to administration of heartworm preventative. Will let everyone know how that turns out. Thanks to everyone for their replies...

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel usually gets a little lethargic and loses some of her appetite for a couple of days after her HW preventative treatment. Then she is fine.

OP
E

eckert5us

Feb 26, 2016
Chesapeake, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie & Otis
Thanks to everyone who responded. UPDATE: Winnie has finished all 3 melarsomine shot protocol from the SPCA and with the help of prednisone, Benadryl, and some pain killers she seems to have come through it with flying colors and becoming a new dog. I switched her to a raw diet (Soho Pre-Mix and Ground Beef w/bone) and she has added some much needed weight. Overall she is in a good place and Oh what a blessing she has been to our family. Thanks again...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online