Any suggestions for natural treatment of arthritis?

lcliff87

Apr 24, 2016
Sanibel, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Samie and Hercules
Hey guys! I am new to the website and was hoping to get some advice! I have 2 english bulldogs both with a multitude of health issues. My youngest, Samie, is 4 and has Crohn's Disease. My oldest, Hercules, is a rescue that the vet thinks is around 10 years old and we have had for about a year and a half. He has Cushing's Disease that is currently being treated for but recently started limping on his front leg. The vet took X-rays and said he has a previous injury that was left untreated likely from years ago before my husband and I had him which led to a bad case of arthritis. They put him on Rimadyl and said he will likely be on it for life! I currently am using Chondroitin and Glucosamine supplements but I am nervous having him on a prescription medicine long term. Does anyone have any suggestions for natural supplements? Or any experience with Rimadyl? I just read about some adverse side effects and desperately want the best for him!! Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Lauren

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Dog Sea Jerky | Beef Dog Jerky | Jerky for Dogs - Animal Products - Sea Jerky® - Sea Jerky® - Beef Bulk Pack - Coastside Bio Resources

We used this on our cattle dog mutt (queensland-something cross--looked like a rottweiler--100 pounds). We thought she was almost 6 weeks when we got her--it turned out she was 2 1/2 weeks. The vet said she wouldn't live past 4-5 years because of joint problems. She lived to be 11 1/2. We gave her a little bit (1/3 stick) daily--not the whole required dose. It worked wonders--no joint pains, no hip problems--down side, she broke every nail trimmer we bought.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
lcliff87;65638 said:
Hey guys! I am new to the website and was hoping to get some advice! I have 2 english bulldogs both with a multitude of health issues. My youngest, Samie, is 4 and has Crohn's Disease. My oldest, Hercules, is a rescue that the vet thinks is around 10 years old and we have had for about a year and a half. He has Cushing's Disease that is currently being treated for but recently started limping on his front leg. The vet took X-rays and said he has a previous injury that was left untreated likely from years ago before my husband and I had him which led to a bad case of arthritis. They put him on Rimadyl and said he will likely be on it for life! I currently am using Chondroitin and Glucosamine supplements but I am nervous having him on a prescription medicine long term. Does anyone have any suggestions for natural supplements? Or any experience with Rimadyl? I just read about some adverse side effects and desperately want the best for him!! Any information would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Lauren

Hi there and welcome to the site. Im not a big fan of any meds but that's me. What is great for inflammation is add turmeric and/or ginger in the food. Cod liver oil, salmon oil great for joints. For crohn's I know the immune system gets weak. In humans first thing you need to do is cut all refined sugars, wheat, grains and this goes for dogs too. Not sure what you feed your babies. Diet would be a great start. Im sure others will help you out. What do you feed your dogs?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through the his with your baby. I was going to suggest Chondroitin and Glucosamine, but you are already using these. You can also try adding 1 Tbsp of Apple Cider Vinegar to either his kibble or his drinking water everyday, ACV is a natural anti inflammatory. Another good supplement you can try is adding Coconut Oil to his kibble which is a great source of Omega Fatty Acids, which are good for the joints, bones, skin, fur, and brain.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Our boy has mild arthritis and has been doing cold laser therapy and was on Adequan, we give him Dasquain supplements daily..but in our case he's going in for surgery to repair a ligament and the vet is going to take out the arthritic part also.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My boxer had cushings disease, and also suffered from arthritis. I ended up doing adequan injections for her, and that helped her tremendously… we have some members that have used laser therapy so I will tag them as well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our girl, Banks, had arthritis in her spine.... she was on many meds to help, but the best thing we did was the laser sessions, it was great. You work up to only having to go once a month and it really does make a difference. The meds we used for her were Deramaxx, tramadol and Gabapentin, we did also use G/C, but again the laser was the best result for her. She LOVED it too, I started calling it her 'spa day'... she at times would take a nap during the process and was so relaxed after. We could see a difference in her movement when the 4 weeks between session was getting closer. ask your vet about it, if they do no offer see if another vet in your area does..... it is call companion laser therapy.... here is a link to the site so you can read up on it

Veterinary Laser Therapy | Companion Therapy by LiteCure | Advanced Laser Therapy Systems

OP
L

lcliff87

Apr 24, 2016
Sanibel, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Samie and Hercules
Hi there and welcome to the site. Im not a big fan of any meds but that's me. What is great for inflammation is add turmeric and/or ginger in the food. Cod liver oil, salmon oil great for joints. For crohn's I know the immune system gets weak. In humans first thing you need to do is cut all refined sugars, wheat, grains and this goes for dogs too. Not sure what you feed your babies. Diet would be a great start. Im sure others will help you out. What do you feed your dogs?

I feed them Hill's Prescription Diet d/d Salmon and Potato formula. I keep them wheat, corn, and soy free. My other dog, Samie, has a lot of food allergies so I keep him away from all of that too. Also do fish oil supplements for both of them as well. Thanks for all of the responses everyone! I will have to talk to my vet and do some reading about these other treatments.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
My Tyson also suffers from arthritis. We managed it very well for the past 2 years or so naturally with Tumeric, and supplements. However last year it go pretty bad so we started doing laser therapy and we also started him on Rimadyl. I too didn't want to keep him on drugs, but at his age (he's 10) I had to consider his quality of life. I don't want him in pain, so if the meds work, I'll keep him on them. Now, he's not on the full dosage he should be on. I gave him the full dose for the first 2 weeks to get it going in his system, then I cut it in half for maintenance and we've been man managing well with half the dosage. I'm sure I'll have to increase it at some point but for now we are okay. I still give him 900mg of Tumeric daily (pill form) plus his joint supplements, and we do laser once a month. We also got him a ramp for the truck bc to make it easier - its been a God sent! Let me know if you have any other questions!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Borage seed oil is a fantastic carrier oil for RA, joints etc for humans but can be use on dogs too... just a thought :)

OP
L

lcliff87

Apr 24, 2016
Sanibel, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Samie and Hercules
Thanks everyone for all of your responses! I looked into it and bought coconut oil and turmeric supplements for now and will see where that takes us. I also did install a little "handicapped ramp" for him to get down our step. Only 2 steps for him to get outside but anything helps! I will also talk to my vet about laser therapy. Are the treatments expensive? I want to do everything I can for him but also don't want to overwhelm his system with a ton of new things at once! He has been on the Rimadyl for about 4 days now and is doing a little better but just don't want him to become dependent on it!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our laser sessions were $42.00 each

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow ours were 16 apiece..and his shots were 32.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

How long did each session last? It might be based on that.... Banks' were 30-40 minutes depending on what was getting addressed.... her back/spine was done every session, but we also had her hips and back knees done on alternating basis

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I usually buy the biggest package which is a package of six and you get one free and I believe that I pay around $130, I know that if you buy them individually or smaller packages it's a little bit more but of course that's just our vet. And like Christine says it may also depend on time they usually treat Tyson for about 20 minutes and focus on the areas that are giving him issues which for us is the left rear leg but they also added treatment on the hips since the right leg has to do a lot of work supporting because his left leg is weak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.