Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
We've been to the vet with Boeboe now a couple of times since end of last year for vomiting. Each time we've been prescribed Antibiotic along with Ulsanic (it forms a protective layer over the stomach lining and helps against nausea). Boeboe is 6 years old, she's not on any regular medication but she is a VERY nervous dog:mellow:

I've also talked to a vet in the capital that says her symptoms does sound like a stomach ulcer, she pukes sometimes, usually a couple of hours after food and she had a little mucus with blood in her stool, so far that's all. He suggested a full blood work and if that doesn't show anything he'd do an endoscopy. We're waiting now to see if the last session of antibiotics helped, if not, we'll do the blood work.

The vet in the capital said he'll put her on a hyper allergenic food, either Hills z/d or Royal Canin Hypoallergenic DR 21... We have to order this food, we can't find it here in this small town:ashamed: I'm now wondering if this is a good food really? Reading the ingredients I wonder:unsure: I get that it's specially made for easy digestion and so on but still... Right now I'm feeding her chicken and a little rice, but I guess I can't keep her on that forever since it doesn't contain everything a dog needs:(

Has anyone else had a dog with an Ulcer? If so how did you treat it and what are you feeding?

As for now she's doing ok... she acts normal, she's as active as a bulldog and seems fine. It's just the puking after food that happens I'd guess about 3 times a week, mostly after the morning meal.

I'm thinking now that I should feed her smaller amounts four times a day? The question is what do I feed her... Is the Hills or Royal Canin ok? I'm in South Africa so my options are limited:eek:

Any input would be appreciated:)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Petra sorry Boeboe is having these problems I can't offer any advice as I have never dealt with this but was thinking like you smaller for frequent meals as for the food vets seem to push those two I had FTSE on the Royal canine not the hypoallergenic one as we didn't have that but he had shocking yeast outbreaks but that could just be him and maybe it will be good for Booboe just hope you get it all sorted and she starts to heal.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Some of BoeBoe's symptoms remind me of acid reflux. Did the vet have her on something like ranitidine (which reduces the acid), or omeprazole? sounds like she was on something similar to sucralfate (coats and protects the stomach lining).

It would be advisable to feed her smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day, Petra, and after reading a bit more, you want to have BoeBoe on a low fat and low protein food. Also, don't give her dry food as that can exacerbate the problem but if you do ,give her dry kibble, make sure to wet it with water.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I wish I had some advice for you, but I've never dealt w/this one...

I agree w/what Henny said… almost sounds to me more like acid reflux. Can you home cook for her? I know that it's hard to find special dog food there in South Africa.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
We've been to the vet with Boeboe now a couple of times since end of last year for vomiting. Each time we've been prescribed Antibiotic along with Ulsanic (it forms a protective layer over the stomach lining and helps against nausea). Boeboe is 6 years old, she's not on any regular medication but she is a VERY nervous dog:mellow:

I've also talked to a vet in the capital that says her symptoms does sound like a stomach ulcer, she pukes sometimes, usually a couple of hours after food and she had a little mucus with blood in her stool, so far that's all. He suggested a full blood work and if that doesn't show anything he'd do an endoscopy. We're waiting now to see if the last session of antibiotics helped, if not, we'll do the blood work.

The vet in the capital said he'll put her on a hyper allergenic food, either Hills z/d or Royal Canin Hypoallergenic DR 21... We have to order this food, we can't find it here in this small town:ashamed: I'm now wondering if this is a good food really? Reading the ingredients I wonder:unsure: I get that it's specially made for easy digestion and so on but still... Right now I'm feeding her chicken and a little rice, but I guess I can't keep her on that forever since it doesn't contain everything a dog needs:(

Has anyone else had a dog with an Ulcer? If so how did you treat it and what are you feeding?

As for now she's doing ok... she acts normal, she's as active as a bulldog and seems fine. It's just the puking after food that happens I'd guess about 3 times a week, mostly after the morning meal.

I'm thinking now that I should feed her smaller amounts four times a day? The question is what do I feed her... Is the Hills or Royal Canin ok? I'm in South Africa so my options are limited:eek:

Any input would be appreciated:)

You should be grateful you don't have Hills, RC in your country! Says it all eh? Great advise above :)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Some of BoeBoe's symptoms remind me of acid reflux. Did the vet have her on something like ranitidine (which reduces the acid), or omeprazole? sounds like she was on something similar to sucralfate (coats and protects the stomach lining).

It would be advisable to feed her smaller, more frequent meals throughout the day, Petra, and after reading a bit more, you want to have BoeBoe on a low fat and low protein food. Also, don't give her dry food as that can exacerbate the problem but if you do ,give her dry kibble, make sure to wet it with water.

Thank you:) I'm reading here on the anti-ulcer medicine she got... it looks like it says Cimetidre (doctors spelling:fie:) but I guess it can say Cimetidine... it does just what you described.

These food are supposed to be both low calorie and low protein, there were other foods as well that we got recommended but it was all either Hills or RC... so yeah... I don't know... I guess we can try:unsure: if it doesn't work out it's just to move on.
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], I can surely home cook (even though my husband would disagree:tongue:) I'm just unsure I can do it properly:unsure: I'm a bit paranoid about the bones and intestine part:fie: Right now she gets chicken breast and rice, she's VERY happy about that and now I wonder if I will ever get her to eat anything else... she's so picky it's ridiculous:ashamed:

So this acid reflux... does it still help if I give her Ulsanic or does this require completely different treatment? I'll try to read and see tomorrow, it's 11pm here now and Joey is barking wanting to go to bed, lol.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Sorry to hear Boeboe is having those issues. Although for different reasons, Castor eats Royal Canine hypoallergenic DR21 and I must say it's been good for him. He's doing much better than he did on the top brands available here and better than on raw feeding. Nothing really worked - either he had loose stools or was a bit yeasty with runny eyes and he would scratch himself to the point that he was bleeding. The only kibble that did work was discontinued... Then, a few months ago, he came down with a nasty staph ear infection, got antibiotic ear drops for two weeks and and the vet recommended Royal Canine hypoallergenic and nothing else for a couple of months. The result is good: much less yeast under his nose rope, less runny eyes, and his tummy is fine.

Castor's not a big eater and I'm not sure he thinks this is the best food he's eaten, as he some days skips breakfast, but his fur, tummy and skin are doing well so it seems to work.

Btw, the Royal Canine hypoallergenic sold here seems to be slightly different from the one sold in North America - don't know which version you get in SA!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sometimes just finding the right food will make a difference. BeBe will throw up certain foods. We just keep switching until we found one that agrees with her, and then stick with it. I hope you find one that will work for your baby.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you:) I'm reading here on the anti-ulcer medicine she got... it looks like it says Cimetidre (doctors spelling:fie:) but I guess it can say Cimetidine... it does just what you described.

These food are supposed to be both low calorie and low protein, there were other foods as well we got recommended but it was all either Hills or RC... so yeah... I don't know... I guess we can try:unsure: if it doesn't work out it's just to move on.
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION], I can surely home cook (even though my husband would disagree:tongue:) I'm just unsure I can do it properly:unsure: I'm a bit paranoid about the bones and intestine part:fie: Right now she gets chicken breast and rice, she's VERY happy about that and now I wonder if I will ever get her to eat anything else... she's so picky it's ridiculous:ashamed:

So this acid reflux... does it still help if I give her Ulsanic or does this require completely different treatment? I'll try to read and see tomorrow, it's 11pm here now and Joey is barking wanting to go to bed, lol.

Perta, I home cook for Nyala. At first it was overwhelming cause you do a lot of reading for no reason. Lol...
I read great stuff in here but got a clearer picture from a EB breeder here where I live and her vet. Basically the breeder raw feeds her bullies but home cooking is the next best thing as you and i and the rest of the planet all live on home cooking and sushi :) It goes like this .... What YOU eat your dog eats. Plain and simple. Yes there are things you can't give like onions, chocolate etc. But that we should already know when you own a dog. So what you're having for supper you make an extra plate :) or what I do very simple but takes a couple hours I cook for a month and put 2 servings in a ziploc bag and freeze it. If you're working you take out the bag out of the freezer just like you would for you.

I buy a big frozen turkey. You either put it in the over or the big slow cooker. Yes you can add spices. Turmeric, ginger is all good for inflammation, bit of sea salt, parsley etc....keep the juices not the fat. Put it in the fridge fat will harden to the top remove it and you have juice. i will buy sweet potatoes, green/yellow beans, turnips, peas, bell peppers etc. Put them in water and microwave. Keep all the water as your vitamins are also in the water. I use the med zip lock bag. I pack tightly 1/2 turkey n 1/2 veggies fill it with the water, juice I kept and there is your meal for the day. It comes out to the exact same price as you pay for a good bag of kibbles. Here in Canada big bag of orijen is with tax 80ish $ go figure, made in Canada and we pay more :( Forgot to mention is you will need to buy more than just one turkey cause that doesn't cover a month. So example I buy, one big turkey and lamb. Once in a while I will get beef but very rare I want to feed her that. Never never give cooked fat to you dog. That's so not good. You can also give once in awhile pasta mix with veggies. Like I said occasionally only! One very important thing is your dog will not drink much water as home cooking already is full of moisture. In my case I rather fill Nyala's bowl with boiled water so he has that extra water intake. Hey it's like a big soup with great homemade broth! (2x per day) make sure you put your dog out for a pee 30mins later cause trust me man do they pee alot with broth n home cooking.

It's a bit more work but worth every bit seeing your dog healthy and happy. Remember when our parents or grandparents (depending on your age) use to give all the left overs to the dog and the would live till 15-18yrs old? Today dogs have cancer, diabetes, skin issues etc etc... just like humans. You can buy the best kibble on the planet but there are still have to put " preservatives" to make it as a kibble form.

So there that's home cooking. Looks like a lot of work but takes a few hours a month so divided that per week...same as you would cook for yourself per day :) sorry in advance for long post. :)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry to hear Boeboe is having those issues. Although for different reasons, Castor eats Royal Canine hypoallergenic DR21 and I must say it's been good for him. He's doing much better than he did on the top brands available here and better than on raw feeding. Nothing really worked - either he had loose stools or was a bit yeasty with runny eyes and he would scratch himself to the point that he was bleeding. The only kibble that did work was discontinued... Then, a few months ago, he came down with a nasty staph ear infection, got antibiotic ear drops for two weeks and and the vet recommended Royal Canine hypoallergenic and nothing else for a couple of months. The result is good: much less yeast under his nose rope, less runny eyes, and his tummy is fine.

Castor's not a big eater and I'm not sure he thinks this is the best food he's eaten, as he some days skips breakfast, but his fur, tummy and skin are doing well so it seems to work.

Btw, the Royal Canine hypoallergenic sold here seems to be slightly different from the one sold in North America - don't know which version you get in SA!

Thank you, good to know:) Boeboe is a very picky eater and she has thrown up from some foods we've tried to switch her to in the past... but since this food is meant to be easy on their tummies I think I might give it a try, considering home cooking as well. I don't know which one would be best, the RC or the Hills... I guess I have to see with the vet here in town which one is easiest to order up here. It's a mission living in nowhere with a bulldog:eek:

I'm pretty sure I'll still have to mix it with a little chicken and rice to get her to eat it... but that shouldn't do any harm... right?

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
So there that's home cooking. Looks like a lot of work but takes a few hours a month so divided that per week...same as you would cook for yourself per day :)

The thing with Boeboe is that she's so picky:ashamed: I sometimes give them some cooked vegetables, cos Joey loves it, it's green beans, broccoli and carrot. Boeboe won't eat it, she'll eat around it. She'd never eat potato either, the only reason she gets some rice in is cos it sticks to the meat and is hard for her to avoid. She's really impossible! I recently started to add turmeric to their foods but of course Boeboe will sniff her food and refuse to eat. So... basically all I can get her to eat is pure meat, cooked of course, she won't eat it raw:facepalm2:

If I should start home cooking I need to buy a meat grinder so I can grind everything and make patties, then she shouldn't be able to pick the meat out from the veggies...

But now because of her issues she should be on a low calorie, low fat, low protein food... so I'm really confused right now:( She's doing good on cooked chicken (pure meat) and a little rice, I'm thinking if I can just get some supplement powder or something that I can add to it she can maybe continue to eat that:unsure:

This is how I feel in general about it:help1::confused::hissy::bang::blink::yell:

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you, good to know:) Boeboe is a very picky eater and she has thrown up from some foods we've tried to switch her to in the past... but since this food is meant to be easy on their tummies I think I might give it a try, considering home cooking as well. I don't know which one would be best, the RC or the Hills... I guess I have to see with the vet here in town which one is easiest to order up here. It's a mission living in nowhere with a bulldog:eek:

I'm pretty sure I'll still have to mix it with a little chicken and rice to get her to eat it... but that shouldn't do any harm... right?

I suppose that as long as her tummy can take what you mix in, that would be ok. But ask your vet. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH.... I wish I knew what to tell you -- it seems you have tried everything you could. I hope you and Boeboe get some relief and you find a food she can / will eat.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The thing with Boeboe is that she's so picky:ashamed: I sometimes give them some cooked vegetables, cos Joey loves it, it's green beans, broccoli and carrot. Boeboe won't eat it, she'll eat around it. She'd never eat potato either, the only reason she gets some rice in is cos it sticks to the meat and is hard for her to avoid. She's really impossible! I recently started to add turmeric to their foods but of course Boeboe will sniff her food and refuse to eat. So... basically all I can get her to eat is pure meat, cooked of course, she won't eat it raw:facepalm2:

If I should start home cooking I need to buy a meat grinder so I can grind everything and make patties, then she shouldn't be able to pick the meat out from the veggies...

But now because of her issues she should be on a low calorie, low fat, low protein food... so I'm really confused right now:( She's doing good on cooked chicken (pure meat) and a little rice, I'm thinking if I can just get some supplement powder or something that I can add to it she can maybe continue to eat that:unsure:

This is how I feel in general about it:help1::confused::hissy::bang::blink::yell:

You can also add ginger. If you use chicken/turkey, extremely good for intake of vitamin is boiled your chicken, add carrots, celery, parsley etc etc do NOT add onions. Top it with water and boil for a good minimum 3 hrs simmering. All the great minerals from the bones n flavours you keep along with the veggies. Give it to BB top the food with that broth mostly for BB since the others are eating well. Ever bit helps :)

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
UGH.... I wish I knew what to tell you -- it seems you have tried everything you could. I hope you and Boeboe get some relief and you find a food she can / will eat.

Thanks:) She's eating very well now when she gets chicken and rice 4 times a day in smaller portions. Since I started feeding her 4 times she hasn't puked at all. I'm just scared now to change her food cos it's going so well:unsure: she's even excited for her meals, shame, that lill neck gets so long when she hears me taking her bowl off the shelf<3

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.