Lotion for Seasonal Alopecia spots?

chemist

Mar 28, 2014
Midwest USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaker
I notice my dogs hair thinning in April of 2015. Went totally bald by July in both spot on both flanks. Still waiting for it togrow back. On one of the spots the black color is beginning to turn greyish in the middle and appears to be drying out. Is there an ointment or lotion for this. Thanks.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I don't know of any ointment, but some say melatonin helps.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@chemist The best you can do is start giving him melatonin 3mg. and put NuStock on the bald areas about once every 3 days(rub it in.) That may help the hair grow back.
I believe giving melatonin before winter help prevent or have a milder case of SA. p.s. The NuStock comes in a large tube.You must squish it around real well to mix it up.

OP
chemist

chemist

Mar 28, 2014
Midwest USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaker
I been giving melatonin since last year. No regrowth yet. More worried with protecting her bald spots right now.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola had allergy related balding, we used vitamin E capsules - just poke a hole in one and squirt out some of the jelly to rub on the skin. We also noticed a huge increase in hair regrowth when we put some raw salmon in her diet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I been giving melatonin since last year. No regrowth yet. More worried with protecting her bald spots right now.

as others stated.... Nustock, vitamin E or coconut oil can help

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Dogs can take biotin. A clinical study of 119 cases found that 91% of*dogs*experienced positive results. Their skin conditions or fur problems were either totally cured or improved. Depending on your*dog's*situation, it may be worth trying especially since canine formulated*Biotin*supplements are now on the market. Interesting!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online