Yeasty Ears, Itchies and Food Choices

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Ugg so Raven has been having an issue with a yeasty ear off an on for about two months or so now and Ty also has the itchies off and on. They are presently eating Acana Pork and Butter Nut Squash and I also give them a bit of grain free wet Pork. Not sure what to do to help them. They both get itchy from Chicken, Lamb and I think Salmon as well. Salmon oil or Omega3 pills seem to make them itch. After the Lamb formula seemed to not be a good option the vet said to give the Pork a try because it's the best neutral option. Well it seemed to work for a while but I have been fighting this yeast issue with her ear for a bit now. Can anyone give me any good suggestions for getting rid of the yeast and another food/protein source. I want to cry because I hate seeing her ear looking red and itchy.

Thanks in advance guys for any help or suggestions.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It may not be the food at all..... I am going through this with Lambeau, i too was blaming the food, but no matter what I placed him on the ears would not clear up. I had the full blood screen (food/environment) testing done and it turned out he has an arms length list of environmental allergies.... grass, dandelions, weeds, pine trees, etc. Our vet placed Claro in both ears which is a medicine that last 4-5 weeks.... his ears are good now, but i can see he will need it again as the summer progresses

Ask you et about the allergy testing and Claro.... it i not 100% accurate, but gives a good baseline for you to know what to avoid

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It may not be the food at all..... I am going through this with Lambeau, i too was blaming the food, but no matter what I placed him on the ears would not clear up. I had the full blood screen (food/environment) testing done and it turned out he has an arms length list of environmental allergies.... grass, dandelions, weeds, pine trees, etc. Our vet placed Claro in both ears which is a medicine that last 4-5 weeks.... his ears are good now, but i can see he will need it again as the summer progresses

Ask you et about the allergy testing and Claro.... it i not 100% accurate, but gives a good baseline for you to know what to avoid

When I took them for their shots in Feb I did ask about the allergy panel. Our vet said it would probably be a good idea fior Raven but not really for Ty at this point since he thinks it's best to run when they turn 2. He was also a bit hesitant because she normally doesn't have any health issues. I just don't know what to do to help her with her ears. This is the very first time in almost five years that she has had any issue with her ears. He will be in tomorrow and I think I will see if I can drag her in for the blood panel this weekend. I feel so bad watching her itch the ear and shake her head. It was clearing up and all of a sudden seems to be coming back. If it's all environmental then I have no damn idea what I can do...they don't really make bubbles for bullies. I would happily get her one if it would help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
When I took them for their shots in Feb I did ask about the allergy panel. Our vet said it would probably be a good idea fior Raven but not really for Ty at this point since he thinks it's best to run when they turn 2. He was also a bit hesitant because she normally doesn't have any health issues. I just don't know what to do to help her with her ears. This is the very first time in almost five years that she has had any issue with her ears. He will be in tomorrow and I think I will see if I can drag her in for the blood panel this weekend. I feel so bad watching her itch the ear and shake her head. It was clearing up and all of a sudden seems to be coming back. If it's all environmental then I have no damn idea what I can do...they don't really make bubbles for bullies. I would happily get her one if it would help.

My vet is the same way ... wait till 2 yrs old normally, but when i told him I cold not keep his ears clean and he was constantly scratching at them, he said it would be worth doing them.

Good luck... ask about the Claro too

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My vet is the same way ... wait till 2 yrs old normally, but when i told him I cold not keep his ears clean and he was constantly scratching at them, he said it would be worth doing them.

Good luck... ask about the Claro too

Ty is more itchy paws here and there and he is going through his teen acne stage as well. Raven is the one really struggling with her ears. I am going to put in a call and hopefully he will just give me a dose of the claro and I can go from there. Thanks.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Have you tried the Acana Duck & Pear? I had Monty on it, which he did well on. Now I have him on the Pacifica (but it has salmon) just to rotate a bit. He's on his 2nd big bag and all is well so far. :) I like knowing I have another food option in case everything goes pear-shaped and with these dogs, you never know!

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Have you tried giving some Benadryl to see if it helps the itching and allergies? If it is environmental you may see them both feel better while on it. My vet says they can stay on it through the allergy seasons. My bulldog doesn't seem to have food allergies "yet" but was having some watery eyes once spring started and the Benadryl has cleared it right up. It also helps my pitbull who does have EV allergies with her ears and paws. GL!

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you tried the Acana Duck & Pear? I had Monty on it, which he did well on. Now I have him on the Pacifica (but it has salmon) just to rotate a bit. He's on his 2nd big bag and all is well so far. :) I like knowing I have another food option in case everything goes pear-shaped and with these dogs, you never know!

I am a bit hesitant to try Duck since they get really itchy on chicken :(

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried giving some Benadryl to see if it helps the itching and allergies? If it is environmental you may see them both feel better while on it. My vet says they can stay on it through the allergy seasons. My bulldog doesn't seem to have food allergies "yet" but was having some watery eyes once spring started and the Benadryl has cleared it right up. It also helps my pitbull who does have EV allergies with her ears and paws. GL!

Oh yes they do get Bennies. They love them some Bennies because it's accompanied by Cheese. God forbid they hear a bottle shake in the kitchen. They will run anyone and everyone over to get their front and center looking for a Bennie.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.