Help Needed! Any ideas on what is this? (Allergies? Insect bites?)

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Hello [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] and [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]

Big's hives are getting a bit smaller - I noticed first thing in the morning.

I'm also not sure if it's poison oak because he's NOT scratching himself at all... I bet it's not itchy... he complains if I touch them, but overall he acts as if there's nothing there.

I also checked closely last night and if feels that the bumps are under the skin. I can feel it, but I can not see it (not sure if I'm explaining well)...

Will give him more Benadryl today and if he still has the bumps tomorrow, will call the vet.

Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello @2BullyMama and @Manydogs

Big's hives are getting a bit smaller - I noticed first thing in the morning.

I'm also not sure if it's poison oak because he's NOT scratching himself at all... I bet it's not itchy... he complains if I touch them, but overall he acts as if there's nothing there.

I also checked closely last night and if feels that the bumps are under the skin. I can feel it, but I can not see it (not sure if I'm explaining well)...

Will give him more Benadryl today and if he still has the bumps tomorrow, will call the vet.

Thanks!

keep giving the Benadryl... that helps to stop the itching. If it is poison ivy/oak/sumac, it can take about 10 days to fully go away. I had sumac once and it was the WORST experience... it was on my elbow and I swear I thought I was going to rip my skin off the itch was so intense. Benadryl helped as well as calamine lotion. there really is nothing else to do for it, but let it run its course and not break the bumps open. As long as his breathing is not impacted, or any other behavior changes, he should be fine

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
keep giving the Benadryl... that helps to stop the itching. If it is poison ivy/oak/sumac, it can take about 10 days to fully go away. I had sumac once and it was the WORST experience... it was on my elbow and I swear I thought I was going to rip my skin off the itch was so intense. Benadryl helped as well as calamine lotion. there really is nothing else to do for it, but let it run its course and not break the bumps open. As long as his breathing is not impacted, or any other behavior changes, he should be fine

Exactly! That's why I'm thinking it's not poison oak because Big is not itching, not scratching...if it was poison ivy/oak, he should be itching... he's fine overall, only for the bumps under the skin.

I will keep you posted! Thanks again.

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
My Hank had something similar two weeks ago. Benadryl fixed him up and it didn't come back. I never did figure out what it was.
e50032cbcd9f0d5f813f0bb141e36de8.jpg
804708805fcb679b7c64dadc063d0ce1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My Hank had something similar two weeks ago. Benadryl fixed him up and it didn't come back. I never did figure out what it was.
e50032cbcd9f0d5f813f0bb141e36de8.jpg
804708805fcb679b7c64dadc063d0ce1.jpg

Holy hives!!

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Our Pippen has had the same thing this week! I saw some bumps on her side like this but couldn't really feel much but gave her some Benadryl and they went away. Then today I noticed some more but have no clue what they could be coming from!!

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
UPDATE:

Hey, guys! So BIG's bumps were going and coming for the past 4 weeks. He was not itching, that's why I found it difficult to be oak poison.
Few days ago, he started licking and biting his front paw. It was red.

So we took him to the vet this morning and it's simply hives... this is his first Spring and the doctor said it's a reaction to pollen.

We will double the dose of Benadryl. She also gave a pomade for his paws and some special cotton patches for us to clean him after every walk (clearly the baby wipes were not sufficient).

Thanks a lot for your inputs! Enjoy the weekend!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE:

Hey, guys! So BIG's bumps were going and coming for the past 4 weeks. He was not itching, that's why I found it difficult to be oak poison.
Few days ago, he started licking and biting his front paw. It was red.

So we took him to the vet this morning and it's simply hives... this is his first Spring and the doctor said it's a reaction to pollen.

We will double the dose of Benadryl. She also gave a pomade for his paws and some special cotton patches for us to clean him after every walk (clearly the baby wipes were not sufficient).

Thanks a lot for your inputs! Enjoy the weekend!

UGH!!! Even worse --- environmental allergies suck --- Lambeau is suffering too, but we know it is pollen, dandelions, and all the rag/pigweed in the yard right now

good luck

Members online

No members online now.