Help Needed! Any ideas on what is this? (Allergies? Insect bites?)

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
Hi, guys!
Just came back from work and notice this "bumps" all over BIG, specially on his left side and back leg. Picture attached.

He gets very irritated when I touch the bumps. They are probably itchy.

Some info: we use Frontline once a month ever since he was 9 weeks old (he's now 8 months) and I just used the flea comb and it came all clear. So I hope it's not fleas, but who knows.

Yesterday he played at the park/grass, but this is something he does twice a week...

Any ideas? I appreciate your help!

Cheers!

IMG_2970.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hives! Most likely a bug/spider bite. You can give Benedyl 1mg oer pound

Is he breathing OK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oooo... It might be poison ivy/oak/sumac. When i enlarged the pic it looks more like that
@Manydogs @Davidh @bullmama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It does look more like Poison Ivy, or oak-it is smaller than hives usually are. I would give him benedryl for itching. If it spreads, he may need prednisone. See that his face doesn't swell,and you could catch it also. If you have any Ivy dry,pat some on. Even corn starch.

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
It does look more like Poison Ivy, or oak-it is smaller than hives usually are. I would give him benedryl for itching. If it spreads, he may need prednisone. See that his face doesn't swell,and you could catch it also. If you have any Ivy dry,pat some on. Even corn starch.

Hi guys! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Thanks A LOT. Never heard of ivy/oak poison, so great to learn about it.

I noticed yesterday at the park the dry oaks fruits in the grass, so now it makes total sense! He didn't eat it, so probably he got if from rubbing his body on the grass, right?

Just gave him Benadryl.

His face is ok and breathing also - he has the same energy level (meaning high lol).

Should I be concerned on him developing breathing issues at this point?

Thanks!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi, guys!
Just came back from work and notice this "bumps" all over BIG, specially on his left side and back leg. Picture attached.

He gets very irritated when I touch the bumps. They are probably itchy.

Some info: we use Frontline once a month ever since he was 9 weeks old (he's now 8 months) and I just used the flea comb and it came all clear. So I hope it's not fleas, but who knows.

Yesterday he played at the park/grass, but this is something he does twice a week...

Any ideas? I appreciate your help!

Cheers!

View attachment 97604

I recall my 2 dobermans I had once was playing outside on my dad's farm an then I call them to come in and I swear the female one I had to look 5x almost and even had doubts it was her. She was covered with them hives and it was red ants. Did they get her good. Warms salty baths and camomile. Epsom salts is great and yes benedryl.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
If he is still itchy you can double the dose of Benedryl. 2mg per body weight. Hope he gets better soon.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
If he developes any breathing issues-get to the vet! [MENTION=15144]LeleNY[/MENTION]

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Hi guys! [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Thanks A LOT. Never heard of ivy/oak poison, so great to learn about it.

I noticed yesterday at the park the dry oaks fruits in the grass, so now it makes total sense! He didn't eat it, so probably he got if from rubbing his body on the grass, right?

Just gave him Benadryl.

His face is ok and breathing also - he has the same energy level (meaning high lol).

Thanks!

If you were under oak trees, I know from my time in Northern CA there is a fungus that grows under oak trees--horses rub on the trees (or roll on the ground) and then get hives, and eventually mange type hair loss leading to sores and infection if it is not taken care of. I only read about this in a class, and saw a horse with the problem at a rescue shelter--so I have no other information than that. Good luck.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
My boy just broke out in hives also and I don't know from what. If it is poison ivy or oak, I know that for humans you want to bath to get the oils off of your skin because it can keep spreading. They make special shampoos for humans but I don't know about dogs.

I believe that my dog got bitten by something. I ended up having to take him to the vet because his face was swollen and his nose rope and jowls were hard and enlarged. The others are giving good advice about benadryl, but you may want to add in a bath. I also used this itchy dog spray I found on this forum and that helped him stop itching and scratching himself (http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/50342-homemade-itchy-dog-spray.html). I found several spots on mine where he had scratched himself raw. Good luck.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi guys! @2BullyMama @Manydogs Thanks A LOT. Never heard of ivy/oak poison, so great to learn about it.

Just gave him Benadryl.

Thanks!

How is he doing today?

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
How is he doing today?

He woke up well! Took Benadryl before went to bed.

This morning, I noticed that the bumps did not spread (hope it's a good sign), but it didn't go away either.

He is not scratching himself, but doesn't like when I touch the bumps. They are hard, but I don't see any redness.

His face is fine and he's breathing normally.

I will definitely give him a bath today as soon as I'm back from work.

I had NO idea about oaks and ivy poison - this is my first dog and never heard of it in my home country, so THANKS a lot.

Will be more careful at the park from now on. Will bring a blanket or towel, because he loves to lay down at the grass.

I will keep you posted on the evening.

THANKS! Have a great day!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He woke up well! Took Benadryl before went to bed.

This morning, I noticed that the bumps did not spread (hope it's a good sign), but it didn't go away either.

He is not scratching himself, but doesn't like when I touch the bumps. They are hard, but I don't see any redness.

His face is fine and he's breathing normally.

I will definitely give him a bath today as soon as I'm back from work.

I had NO idea about oaks and ivy poison - this is my first dog and never heard of it in my home country, so THANKS a lot.

Will be more careful at the park from now on. Will bring a blanket or towel, because he loves to lay down at the grass.

I will keep you posted on the evening.

THANKS! Have a great day!

When you give him a bath, be careful not to break the bumps open.... that will cause it to spread and itch! And, you could get it too, it is contagious. it is not deadly, but it is so uncomfortable... very itchy.

OP
LeleNY

LeleNY

Dec 1, 2015
NY
Country
UNITED STATES
Bulldog(s) Names
Big (Notorious B.I.G.)
When you give him a bath, be careful not to break the bumps open.... that will cause it to spread and itch! And, you could get it too, it is contagious. it is not deadly, but it is so uncomfortable... very itchy.

Good point, will be super careful and will wear gloves!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Poison Ivy:
poison_ivy_220x165.jpg

Grows throughout much of North America, including all Canadianprovinces except Newfoundland (and the Territories) and all USstates except Alaska, Oregon, Hawaii and California. The plants cangrow as a shrub up to about 4 feet tall, as a groundcover, or as aclimbing vine. The color of the three almond-shaped leaflets rangefrom light to dark green and turn bright red in the fall. Theplant's berries are a grayish-white color.
Poison Oak:
poison_oak_220x146.jpg

Poison oak is found along the Pacific Coast of North Americaincluding Washington, Oregon and California, and along the AtlanticCoast. Poison oak can grow as a dense shrub in open sunlight or aclimbing vine in shaded areas. The three leaflets have scallopededges resembling the leaves of a true oak and can be bronze, brightgreen, yellow-green or reddish depending on the season. The plantcan produce greenish-white or tan berries.
Poison Sumac:
poison_sumac_220x165.jpg

Poison sumac grows exclusively in very wet or flooded soils,usually in swamps and peat bogs, in the eastern United States asfar west as Idaho and Canada. Poison sumac has compound leaves with7-13 leaflets, and the veins from which the leaflets grow arealways red. The plant grows as a shrub and produces fruit that is asmall white or grey berry. @LeleNY

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online