Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 14

Thread: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    United states
    Location
    Buffalo, NY
    Posts
    46
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beef (aka "the beast")
    Likes (Received)
    88

    Default What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    Beefs nose roll is so hard to keep clean, because it's so huge! I feel like I clean it every day and the next morning it's gross again! In the past there's been this funky red colored stuff under there (went to the vet because it had an odor, they said it was yeast and gave me malecetic wipes). That cleared up, but now there's this white/cream almost sticky stuff under the roll (no odor). I have no idea what it is! I just cleaned it so next time I notice it I'll snap a picture. Anyone else notice this under their bully's nose roll?

  2. #2
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,218
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11549

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    White/yellow goo.... could be a start of an infection. If the rope is that big/tight, you may have to clean it daily with the malecetic wipes or witch hazel on a cotton pad.... need to keep it dry
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  3. Likes rjisaterp, Jersey, helsonwheels liked this post
  4. #3
    Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    cali baker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Location
    The Crown City (Pasadena)
    Posts
    9,013
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    1479
    Blog Entries
    32

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    Tate's nose rope is fairly deep so there's always a small collection of "gunk" in there. I'm constantly cleaning it, it's mostly these dry "particles" that I find. Finn on the other hand doesn't really have a nose rope so no problem with him. It's definitely important to keep the area dry like Christine mentioned; a wet nose rope is an environment for yeast and bacteria to grow in.




  5. #4
    Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,821
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)
    350

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    I use water and vinegar solution for Bifi's fold then dry it and put a cream (Sudocrem) for babys' bottoms when they get red and sore. It helps soothes the soreness and keeps the fold dry. It heals after 3 days if the soreness is bad.

  6. Likes Manydogs, 2BullyMama, rjisaterp, Jersey liked this post
  7. #5
    Rescue Volunteer cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,754
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1361

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    Castor's got a really big noserope too! I clean it every 2-3 days with chlorehexedine on a cotton pad. These days it looks sort of ok but now and then the skin gets red and irritated from one day to the next, it seems. Then I apply zinc oxide baby rash cream, and like @dieMuttivonBifi says, the redness disappears within a few days. The ointment is difficult to apply without getting it all over his nose, however, so I dip a cotton swab into the zinc oxide cream and then apply under the nose roll.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  8. Likes 2BullyMama, Jersey, Manydogs liked this post
  9. #6
    Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    178
    Bulldog(s) Names
    daphnee
    Likes (Received)
    35

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    I use otomax when things get bad, clears it up in a day or 2.. keeping it dry is key

  10. Likes 2BullyMama, Jersey liked this post
  11. #7
    Bulldog Walker Frith's Avatar
    Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    291
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    354

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    I really suggest a Mini Schnauzer. Ours has been keeping Fritthhys face clean every day since we got her. Or a lab, the breeder had a lab nicknamed 'uncle' because he cared for and cleaned all the little puppies. More seriously though, consider feeding coconut oil to help fight yeast from the inside. It boosts immune system and helps to prevent the yeast from starting.
    Fritthy

  12. Likes 2BullyMama, Jersey, Saalwi, Manydogs, cefe13 liked this post
  13. #8
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,175
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3924

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    Quote Originally Posted by dieMuttivonBifi View Post
    I use water and vinegar solution for Bifi's fold then dry it and put a cream (Sudocrem) for babys' bottoms when they get red and sore. It helps soothes the soreness and keeps the fold dry. It heals after 3 days if the soreness is bad.
    Guten Abendt @dieMuttivonBifi You know the water an vinegar solution I have not used. Much like @cali baker 's gang, Jewel has a deep nose rope whereas Bentley does not and as far as the backend goes Bentley has a tail pocket and Jewel's was removed when her tail was amputated. We use Vetericyn on the noses and backends and Malacetic wipes when there is increase in activity (i.e. yeast). I think we will give the vinegar/water solution a try. What ratio do you use? Just as a heads up, I was frowned upon for using zinc oxide on Bentley as the zinc is toxic if ingested. We discontinued the use of any baby products containing zinc.

  14. Likes Jersey, 2BullyMama, dieMuttivonBifi liked this post
  15. #9
    Rescue Volunteer cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,754
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1361

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjisaterp View Post
    Just as a heads up, I was frowned upon for using zinc oxide on Bentley as the zinc is toxic if ingested. We discontinued the use of any baby products containing zinc.
    Oh dear - thanks for pointing this out. It's difficult to dry out the deep nose pocket so zinc oxid has been good, but when Castor wakes up I'll make sure to tell him it's toxic.


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

  16. Likes Jersey liked this post
  17. #10
    Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,821
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)
    350

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjisaterp View Post
    Guten Abendt @dieMuttivonBifi You know the water an vinegar solution I have not used. Much like @cali baker 's gang, Jewel has a deep nose rope whereas Bentley does not and as far as the backend goes Bentley has a tail pocket and Jewel's was removed when her tail was amputated. We use Vetericyn on the noses and backends and Malacetic wipes when there is increase in activity (i.e. yeast). I think we will give the vinegar/water solution a try. What ratio do you use? Just as a heads up, I was frowned upon for using zinc oxide on Bentley as the zinc is toxic if ingested. We discontinued the use of any baby products containing zinc.
    Tag Roger! Thanks for the warning! I immediately read the ingredients and you're right, zinc is right up there. Stopped using it since i read ur post. As for the ratio, i just estimate it: about 10-15% vinegar. I love using water and vinegar solution as it's natural and inexpensive. I don't have to worry about side effects. I also use it to clean Bifi's face everynight and butt whenever he has soft output. Goodluck and i hope it works well for you, Bentley and Jewel ;p.

  18. Likes rjisaterp, 2BullyMama, Jersey liked this post
  19. #11
    Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Jersey's Avatar
    Real Name
    Susan
    Country
    USA
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    636
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jersey
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    922

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    I just looked. I think it's a ham sandwich. Bad dog.

  20. Likes Manydogs liked this post
  21. #12
    Rescue Volunteer cefe13's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,754
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1361

    Default Re: What's under your Bulldogs nose roll?

    Quote Originally Posted by dieMuttivonBifi View Post
    Tag Roger! Thanks for the warning! I immediately read the ingredients and you're right, zinc is right up there. Stopped using it since i read ur post. As for the ratio, i just estimate it: about 10-15% vinegar. I love using water and vinegar solution as it's natural and inexpensive. I don't have to worry about side effects. I also use it to clean Bifi's face everynight and butt whenever he has soft output. Goodluck and i hope it works well for you, Bentley and Jewel ;p.
    Just checking - do you use water&vinegar for the fold under the nose rope/roll? Doesn't that hurt (and smell? What does Bifi say)? What kind of vinegar?


    Castor is on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/castorthebulldog/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •