santowah

Apr 18, 2016
Greenville, SC
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
CeeLo
Hi there. I adopted my first bulldog, Sarge on Saturday.

He was chained up in someone's backyard for 4 years before I came along and after an hour of begging and $50 they let me take him home.

He has yeast infections in his paws, wrinkles and up his legs, he has double ear infections, his claws were grown into his paw pads and he has flank alopecia. they had him eating something akin to alpo or ole roy which makes me cringe just thinking about.

they had his allergy reports and he's allergic to flaxseed, potato, milk, lamb, rice and something else I can't remember right now. he's also allergic to any and all dye.

I'm a vet tech (not working as one currently) but I've never seen a yeast infection this severe. He has a vet appointment next week. In the mean time, what can I do to make him more comfortable? I've started treating the infections with a spray my old boss told me to make up, however, he might be a vet, but is not really a bully expert nor am I so I was wondering if you wonderful people had any suggestions to keep him comfortable/keep it from getting worse until his appointment as well as food suggestions that won't make him itch so bad (this might not be the board for food suggestions BUT I wanted to keep from flooding with 2 billion posts about all my questions because im a bulldog newbie!)

Also, he has some of the worst stenotic nares I've ever seen. I'm going to discus it with the vet but has anyone ever had good success with the stenotic nare surgey on an older dog (he's 5/6). I mostly see it done on puppies.

thanks!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
THANK YOU for saving this sweet baby!!

Yeast is a bitch .... but getting him out of the yard and in a home is a great start..... when you buy a new food, avoid all grains as they will add to the yeast issues, especially white potato. Apple Cider vinegar in his water (start with a little) will also help with clearing it up. Some great foods to look into are Earthborn, Taste of the wild, Fromm, Acana, and Orijen (no particular order). As for flooding us with question.... go ahead and do so, it is what we are here for.... support, help and picture sharing.

Welcome to the great life Sarge....

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] great advice! Welcome to the site :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome3:@santowah to you and Sarge! He has turned out to be a very Lucky dog! It is hard to believe they had allergy test results, and then fed him the crap with all those ingriedients in it!!! When he gets on a good food, and starts getting good care, and has a (real) home like yours, he will bloom into a handsome happy fella'! In the meantime, I have heard that white vinegar can help his ears,in the meantime.
He may be the Sarge, but I salute you for rescuing him!:salute::clap2:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
He must have had better pawrents BEFORE them...UGH!

Thank you for rescuing Sarge & wanting to get him back to health.

TOTW (Taste of the Wild) has grain free kibble & a couple new flavors
with no potatoes. Buy at Tractor Supply or other farm stores, good
quality at a good price.

Google, Oil of Oregano for help in combatting yeast and good luck with
speedy results for his issues. I will keep you & Sarge in prayer.

Please keep us updated and posts pics when you can, welcome to EBN!

OP
santowah

santowah

Apr 18, 2016
Greenville, SC
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
CeeLo
they paid $4000 for him as a show quality pup, had his allergy tests and everything else done and I think they just got tired of him. I just can't see paying that money for a dog and then treating it that way (I mean, I can't see treating ANY dog that way but you know).

I haven't managed to get him to eat much. He'll chow down on treats all day, but he won't touch the Zignature that I feed my Boston. idk if it's nerves or if he's a picky eater. Today he's splashing in the kiddie pool we have beside our pool for the dogs and I need to keep him as dry as possible for his yeast infection but I can't bring myself to make him get out. he's so happy. so I've just been drying him real good every time he gets out.

I made a spray of ACV, peroxide, hibiclens and tea tree oil that I use on my guinea pigs for ring worm and it seems to be helping his paws, but he hates m e touching them. he just looks at me like "will you stop messing with me, lady?!" and walks away hahaha.

thank you for all your suggestions. we're going do food shopping tomorrow!

OP
santowah

santowah

Apr 18, 2016
Greenville, SC
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
CeeLo
sarge.jpgtumblr_o5r9iqDqT91vp5w9to2_250.jpgtumblr_o5t2bjpmwY1vp5w9to1_250.jpgtumblr_o5t2bjpmwY1vp5w9to2_250.jpg

here he is in all 80 pounds of his glory! hahaha.

I'm working on his god awful nails as quick as I can. his feet are too ouchy to work on too long :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
they paid $4000 for him as a show quality pup, had his allergy tests and everything else done and I think they just got tired of him. I just can't see paying that money for a dog and then treating it that way (I mean, I can't see treating ANY dog that way but you know).

I haven't managed to get him to eat much. He'll chow down on treats all day, but he won't touch the Zignature that I feed my Boston. idk if it's nerves or if he's a picky eater. Today he's splashing in the kiddie pool we have beside our pool for the dogs and I need to keep him as dry as possible for his yeast infection but I can't bring myself to make him get out. he's so happy. so I've just been drying him real good every time he gets out.

I made a spray of ACV, peroxide, hibiclens and tea tree oil that I use on my guinea pigs for ring worm and it seems to be helping his paws, but he hates m e touching them. he just looks at me like "will you stop messing with me, lady?!" and walks away hahaha.

thank you for all your suggestions. we're going do food shopping tomorrow!

Bulldogs are very schedule oriented and OCD so he may need time to settle in before he will eat a full meal.... if he is taking treats, use the kibble as a treat to see if he takes it. if he does, let him have some on the floor or a plate instead of the bowl... could be he is just nervous and needs some time to settle in. not uncommon when a dog goes to a new home

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
View attachment 97594View attachment 97595View attachment 97596View attachment 97597

I'm working on his god awful nails as quick as I can. his feet are too ouchy to work on too long :(

What a handsome boy! Who could get tired of that face?!? God bless you for taking him in! I always wonder why people keep pets if they are just going to keep them chained up in the backyard.
Have u tried Epsom salt rinses for his feet? That might help soothe them.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I agree. Who can ever get tired of that handsome face!? Poor baby. But he's got you now. Sorry I'm no help here. Just wanna Welcome you to EBN. And to thank you for giving this boy a family.

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
What a cute boy! I don't understand people sometimes.. they could have rehomed him long before this all happened : (. Apple cider vinegar is great for yeast and I think the spray you have sounds great. Just keep at it, it could take weeks to clear up. The main thing is getting rid of his allergens then the rest will follow. A little bit of that spray in his ears can help as well with daily cleaning. I hope he feels better soon!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bless you for saving him. he is a handsome boy. I don't have anything to add, as you have some good advice already. We look forward in seeing more pics of him and also hearing about his progress.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
View attachment 97594View attachment 97595View attachment 97596View attachment 97597

Thank you for noticing and having the courage to stand up. Look at coconut oil. There are a few discussions about its benefits. It may act a a soothing agent, but it will definately fight the internal yeast, which he must have. Poor boy, and bless you. Add a probiotic too.

OP
santowah

santowah

Apr 18, 2016
Greenville, SC
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
CeeLo
his feet have gone from bright angry red to pink today so I think that's am improvement. I also picked up some anti bacterial ear wipes as well as wiping his ears out with the spray I made.

Also, we're considering a name change. Possibly Boss Hog? we're so indecisive! we're just calling him 'bulldog' for now as half of my family veto'd sarge :p

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
his feet have gone from bright angry red to pink today so I think that's am improvement. I also picked up some anti bacterial ear wipes as well as wiping his ears out with the spray I made.

Also, we're considering a name change. Possibly Boss Hog? we're so indecisive! we're just calling him 'bulldog' for now as half of my family veto'd sarge :p

Names always seem to be the hardest to agree on.... a pet tends to respond to about anything as i think they just respond to the sound/tone of our voice. Both are great names... Sarge and Boss, and he will fit both names at some point --- owning the house and bossing you all around :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.