my Duke has a bumpy back. and i'm having a meltdown.

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
i took Duke in and he was given a cortisone shot to stop the itchiness. that seems to have worked for now, but i don't like the effects. when he was younger it used to make him urinate without even knowing he was. he's older now, so he can get by with minor dribbles, but it's terrible because he's so reliable and so aware of when and where to use the facilities. he seems so embarrassed by it, but luckily the problem wears off in a few days. he was also given an antibiotic to clear the rash, which appears to already be showing signs of relief. i'm going on a mini vacation and when i get back, i just may have to switch his food over again. stupid call of the wild.

Typically in cases of allergies a vet will prescribe an antihistamine along with the cortizone. Did the vet specifiy whether the infection being treated by the antibiotics was primary or a secondary infection??

NASTYNATI

May 26, 2010
Tallahassee, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Wimbley
My bully had this same problem. I mentioned this in another thread a few moments ago and I share with you the same. She would get multiple hard bumps along her back and sides. No change in diet or environment for my bully.. just a flare up here and there mainly when she got really excited or hot (god love this Florida heat) and the bumps would appear. Some of them would scab up and fall out when brushing her with small bits of her hair attached. I took her to the Vet and immediately he diagnosed it as some form of Staph infection. A few days on antibiotics and it was gone, never to come back. I would definitely get with your Vet and suggest the Staph infection to him if he is unsure. My Vet has years of experience with the breed and has been spot on in all of his diagnosis. Best of luck and keep us up to date

Attachments

• IMG_20190710_164924120.jpg
    IMG_20190710_164924120.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 74

ljds923

Apr 11, 2010
Western MA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sharamar n Sergios little lou - aka Louie
My Louie has been on about 7 differrent foods... Nothing helps.... Its $400.00 everytime we end up at the vet. I always feel so bad for my baby! He is so itchie and smells awful. I now have him on natural bal veggies only. Not working either...HELPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We have tried taste of the wild, low allergen food, from, hollistic food, solid gold... you name it we have tried it...

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
So sorry to hear about Duke and I can totally relate about the bully meltdown. I was up to about 3 a.m. the other day trying to research bulldog acne. I know how stressful this can be. I was actually thinking of switching to the TOTW Pacific stream but after your post and several others from people who've had bad reactions to that formula I'm thinking twice about it! Hang in there and let us know what the vet says.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I had the same type of "skin problem" issues with Maximus after I bought him. He was already 4-months old, and had been fed Eukanuba by the Breeder. His skin was Red, and inflammed and full of bumps.
I didn't waste my time talking to the VET because they have very little knowledge about "Nutrition" and very few have alot of experience with Bulldogs. Veternarians who are experienced with Bulldogs are
NOT a dime-a-dozen. So I had to do all the work myself, and with the help of everyone on this site, and my own research, I was able to fine-tune Maximus' diet a bit, PLUS I added PROBIOTICS and DIGESTIVE ENZYMES daily ---- and the transformation was unbelievable! His Diet was changed to a GRAIN-FREE Dog Food (FROMM Surf & Turf) and I immediately added daily probiotics and enzymes
which have done wonders. He no longer has any red skin, and no red bumps and he looks 100% better ! And I know he feels alot better too, so Thanks to everyone here who replied to so many of my postings, Maximus is now a new Bulldog !

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
That is awesome Maximus! Where do you get the Probiotics? I got some at walmart, but never did use them. I think they are capsules, so you can open them up and sprinkle.

We plan on trying Fromm as well. Heard great things. Right now my #1 is Avoderm, which is grain free + avacados, a bit expensive but well worth it. We plan on giving Fromm a shot before I make my 'Final Pick'.

Maiximus, could you please post your selection in the 'recommended dog foods' post and tell your story? Also, if you have any before and after photos we could add your story to "dog food, then & now" as well! :)

ljds, I cannot believe you are still going through this after all this time. Seems like months ago when you posted about your bully. I sooo very much want to see him get better! I am glad you came back and posted again. Has the vets done an allergy work up on him? You do not necessarily need to do the shots if you find that what he is allergic to can be prevented, but if you find out WHAT he is allergic to it could help tremendously. If the vet gives you a prescription for some crap (sorry haaad to say that...) at the vets office, don't get it. Find which dog foods he can have that are good ones without his allergens in them instead.

Kimrisa- I posted in your thread with some advice. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Wow, I go and clean the house for a bit and miss a lot I guess huh? I think you have gotten all the support and advice you need. Poor thing must be driving him crazy. If your boy is sensitive with allergies maybe you should try a food that is made specifically for them. (in the future I mean he needs to get stable now and go back to the prairie formula he was good with)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.