my Duke has a bumpy back. and i'm having a meltdown.

aircookies

May 27, 2010
my boy, Duke, has recently been switched to "Taste of the Wild" within the past two months, originally starting with the roasted fowl. about a week ago i switched him to the salmon flavor. last evening, i noticed that his back has sprung a long patch (ranging from near tail to upper neck/shoulders) of hard bumps. it is literally twenty some odd bumps and they move in a linear fashion no further than 6 inches from his spine (which i'm only using as a reference point.) the skin is flaking dramatically. i would be convinced it's the food, but i've had him on fish oil for nearly a year of his 16 month existence and the duck formula was so good to him. i'm having a complete meltdown. any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. i trust my vet with about any other breed, but he seems lost when it comes to Duke. p.s. would his skin problems cause him to be more aggressive. we have two kids and i notice that he gets more irritable when he has issues with his skin or if his anal gland gets impacted. not to be gross, just asking. thank you.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Your description is good of the problem but I have not encountered anything like this personally. I will share this topic and see if anyone has suggestions. I would definately seek a veteranarian's advice on this issue tho if you do not see improvement soon.

(sharing right now)

Champ Waring

Mar 30, 2010
Check the ingredients and see what else is in that formula that is not in the other formula. It may not be the fish itself, but some other ingredient. it sounds like some sort of food allergy. I also think a trip to the vet is a must. But definitely find a vet that has bullie experience, either personally or sees many bulldogs in his office. Don't be afraid to literally interview the vet clinic to see if they truly know bulldogs. It took me a long time to find a good vet. My cat still sees our general vet, but I've finally found another vet who actually knows how to treat my special bullie babies. Good luck to you. Oh and also, not sure where you live, but down here in FLorida allergies have been outrageous lately. I can hardly breathe myself and my one bullie is starting to lose fur on her rump. Many of my friends' bullies and our previous adopters have stated that they're having similar issues with seasonal alopecia right now.
- Champ's mom

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-07-09-28-09-1-1 (1).png
    Screenshot_2015-12-07-09-28-09-1-1 (1).png
    772.6 KB · Views: 174

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
Could you post pictures of the bumps?? If your camera has macro function that would help alot.

mish71171

May 7, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley and Leon
I am totally thinking it is the food. Even with the fish oil that he was used to, perhaps the salmon has something in it he can not tolerate. My guys have had issues with the bumps, then they clump and they lose a chunk of fur. Changing the food is where I would start. Dogs can also be put on benadryl if it is an allergy thing going on with the weather. 1mg per pound 2 times a day. I would think the aggression would be because he isn't feeling like himself. Just some thoughts.

candib7227

May 27, 2010
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
George
In my experience when my dog gets that, it is allergies associated w/ his food ! Or bath soap, I can only use Oatmeal formula.

Mugzilla

Mar 24, 2010
southern bell
Bulldog(s) Names
www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo
that sounds like food allergies--though it could also be seasonal allergies that happened to start when you changed food. i know my tilly had that happen before we found out things she was allergic to. the bumps eventually started to be more flaky and scab like and when you'd pick them off, it'd be gooey/wet underneath. are there ingredients in the fish flavor that aren't in the other? it could be something as simple as oatmeal or anything really.

if your vet doesn't seem to know the breed, i highly suggest finding one that does. with a special breed like eb's that have so many issues that other breeds don't, it's so important to find a vet that knows the breed. vets that don't know the breed just do not understand the special needs they have and the severity of some of the issues.

my bully also gets more moody when her allergies act up. she feels miserable and just like humans when we feel miserable, we're more tired, and sick, and more snappy and don't feel like putting up with a lot of 'nonesense'...if that makes sense. it sounds like your boy doesn't feel well with what's going on and it's natural to be more irritable when we don't feel well.

i'd really suggest finding a vet that knows the breed and seeing them very soon.

OP
A

aircookies

May 27, 2010
you guys are incredible. thanks for your hasty replies. i have an appointment tonight with the vet and i want to be extremely prepared. unfortunately i think it's the food as well. i know his allergies are quite rough. actually, i live in st. louis, and this place is notorious for being unforgiving to allergy sufferers. i'm fortunate to not have any, but he can't catch a break. i guess i'll try putting him back on the other formula and see if it stops. mugzilla, your description is spot on. they are pretty foul scabs that flake and cause his fur to raise up significantly. when we try to brush him he bleeds, but doesn't flinch. when we start to scratch them for him, his leg kicks. as you all have experienced with yours, it's horrible when he needs to scratch something on his posterior and he can't reach it (it's funny for a moment though until you realize how bad it bothers him). you guys are awesome. thanks a lot and i'll keep checking back. oh, and i'll update when i get some input from the vet to see what he thinks.

Jenni0109

Apr 30, 2010
Lithia, Fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly
I had Tilly on Taste of the Wild for about 4 months, and kept getting the same things, plus she would have that "yeastie" oder. After doing the whole medications for yeast and secondary skin infection, I switched her food to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish. She has done wonderful, and best of all no bumps and no smell! :D

ClaireandMarty

May 26, 2010
Eustis, Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy and Mikey
Dog food...

We too had the same issue w/Call of the Wild food. Switched our kids to Natural Balance and have not had any more issues. Got a script from doc for Ciprofloxaci and headed to Publix pharmacy to get it filled.

Here in Florida the local food store (Publix) issues many antibiotics for free - if you get a prescription for Ciprofloxaci - there's no charge for the meds. And yes - they will adminster to four legged kids.

Good luck!

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I had Tilly on Taste of the Wild for about 4 months, and kept getting the same things, plus she would have that "yeastie" oder. After doing the whole medications for yeast and secondary skin infection, I switched her food to Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish. She has done wonderful, and best of all no bumps and no smell! :D

I'm curious which flavor/formula you were using? I use the high prairie bison and venison formula and so far all the changes I see in my girl are positive, so I'd love feedback on the other flavors.

Natural Balance is a great food for allergy stricken fur-kids.

Jenni0109

Apr 30, 2010
Lithia, Fl
Bulldog(s) Names
Tilly
I can't remeber exactly which formula it was, I think it was the bird formula :p After trying that brand, we went to California Natural Lamb and Rice, but the same thing happen. She would break out in hives sporatically and get really smelly. Thats when we tried Natural Balance and (knock on wood) she has done wonderful!

Attachments

• Agnes at Jax Beach.jpg
    Agnes at Jax Beach.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 216
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
OP
A

aircookies

May 27, 2010
i took Duke in and he was given a cortisone shot to stop the itchiness. that seems to have worked for now, but i don't like the effects. when he was younger it used to make him urinate without even knowing he was. he's older now, so he can get by with minor dribbles, but it's terrible because he's so reliable and so aware of when and where to use the facilities. he seems so embarrassed by it, but luckily the problem wears off in a few days. he was also given an antibiotic to clear the rash, which appears to already be showing signs of relief. i'm going on a mini vacation and when i get back, i just may have to switch his food over again. stupid call of the wild.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Did you get the food at a major pet store? (like petsmart?)

I know most major pet stores will take back unused portions of food. If you did, I would recommend taking back what you have left so you can switch him back as soon as possible. (Don't forget to save about 6 cups of it so you slowly switch his food over a course of at LEAST 4 days).

Attachments

• edited_1450970081471.jpg
    edited_1450970081471.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 20160221_113005.jpg
    20160221_113005.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 161

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.