Brock update and question

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
So it's been a long Brock road with the vomiting and so forth. He was doing good for a couple of weeks with a pepcid added to his pill regimen but a few days ago he started his bile vomiting again and not wanting food or keeping it down for 24+ hours so Mr. Brock finally got his x-ray.

The little booger has beautiful insides and since this whole issue starts even if the night before he is fine he got diagnosed with bilious vomiting syndrome and the vet has gone with zantac. I woke up late and his breakfast was 2 hours late the day his bile vomiting started and I think I single handedly messed up his tummy. Once he gets going it takes FOREVER to get him back on track. 2 days usually to start eating and then 3 days to get normal poop again.

So that I am not a bad mom again, what are some late night or early morning treats people give their bullies so they don't have empty bellies? Is it a lot of food, just a treat? Brock is the FUSSIEST eater, even when he is hungry if the food isn't to his liking it's no go, so he does get unseasoned pork chops or steak pieces mixed in.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Have you changed food since this has happened? Some foods just don't agree with them. BeBe has had problems with certain foods in the past and it has caused her to vomit. The other thing you can try is either feed him later in the evening, or split up his last meal. Half at the normal time, and the rest at bed time. I hope you are feeding at least twice a day, that will help, and in his case, three times a day.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm having kind of the same problem with my Boeboe... She's always had Empty Tummy Syndrome, so if she doesn't eat morning and evening she'll puke up bile, no question about it, it WILL happen. She's also a very picky eater, I have to add something nice to her kibble and if she doesn't feel like that particular food she'll still not eat. I usually switch between chicken breast, lean beef and egg.

Right now she's on chicken breast and rice only cos her problems got worse about a week ago. We were at the vet in January for the same issue, then she got antibiotics and something called Ulsanic (I'm in South Africa), Ulsanic forms a protective surface of the stomach lining and helps against nausea. Her symptoms now are puking despite eating and a little bloody mucus in her poop, other wise she's completely normal.

Yesterday we were at the vet again, a different one this time. She also prescribed us Ulsanic and antibiotics but this time we also got an anti ulcer medicine as her symptoms lean against a stomach ulcer.

How old is Brock? Boeboe is 6 years old.

The vet said that since Boeboe is a bit overweight she agrees with us that a full blood work is a good idea to check for things like fatty liver, diabetes and a bacteria that causes stomach ulcers. If the blood work shows nothing we're leaning against doing an Endoscopy. Cancer is uncommon though, I talked to a bulldog vet in the capital, he said that in cases like this 1 in 50 is cancer, the rest is usually the ulcer causing bacteria or worms causing issues.

We are also going to switch her food to one that's specially made for dogs with sensitive digestive system, but we're waiting for the appointment for the blood work and the result first so we can choose the food best suited depending on what it shows...

I think a treat before bedtime and when he wakes up can help so his tummy isn't staying empty. I don't think it has to be a lot of food... but if you can, you could feed him 3-4 times a day if eating more often seems to help him. I often think that I don't know how people with actual jobs handle having bulldogs, lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm having kind of the same problem with my Boeboe... She's always had Empty Tummy Syndrome, so if she doesn't eat morning and evening she'll puke up bile, no question about it, it WILL happen. She's also a very picky eater, I have to add something nice to her kibble and if she doesn't feel like that particular food she'll still not eat. I usually switch between chicken breast, lean beef and egg.

Right now she's on chicken breast and rice only cos her problems got worse about a week ago. We were at the vet in January for the same issue, then she got antibiotics and something called Ulsanic (I'm in South Africa), Ulsanic forms a protective surface of the stomach lining and helps against nausea. Her symptoms now are puking despite eating and a little bloody mucus in her poop, other wise she's completely normal.

Yesterday we were at the vet again, a different one this time. She also prescribed us Ulsanic and antibiotics but this time we also got an anti ulcer medicine as her symptoms lean against a stomach ulcer.

The vet said that since Boeboe is a bit overweight she agrees with us that a full blood work is a good idea to check for things like fatty liver, diabetes and a bacteria that causes stomach ulcers. If the blood work shows nothing we're leaning against doing an Endoscopy. Cancer is uncommon though, I talked to a bulldog vet in the capital, he said that in cases like this 1 in 50 is cancer, the rest is usually the ulcer causing bacteria or worms causing issues.

We are also going to switch her food to one that's specially made for dogs with sensitive digestive system, but we're waiting for the appointment for the blood work and the result first so we can choose the food best suited depending on what it shows...

I think a treat before bedtime and when he wakes up can help so his tummy isn't staying empty. I don't think it has to be a lot of food... but if you can, you could feed him 3-4 times a day if eating more often seems to help him. I often think that I don't know how people with actual jobs handle having bulldogs, lol.

Awesome info!!! :up:

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith

Have you tried green tripe? there is nother thread about this with a link to a site where you can get it.

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Have you changed food since this has happened? Some foods just don't agree with them. BeBe has had problems with certain foods in the past and it has caused her to vomit. The other thing you can try is either feed him later in the evening, or split up his last meal. Half at the normal time, and the rest at bed time. I hope you are feeding at least twice a day, that will help, and in his case, three times a day.

I have not changed his food. Brock gets Fromm lamb and lentils, we have tried the other grain free options, beef, pork and peas, surf and turf and the new duck both by itself or mixed in with the lamb but he won't eat them or when he does it messes up his poops and they get too soft even with an ounce of rice tossed in. It was hard to find what he would eat and work for him, we tried the grain fromm as well but it had too much going on in it he wouldn't eat that either and when he would it gave him the runs -.-

He gets fed twice a day, he won't eat more than a cup in the morning but it's usually like 3/4 and then in the evening he starts to get hungry and excited about food and that's when he will eat more like a cup and a third, with a bunch of add ins for both meals. He's pretty lean in his build, he's closer to 50lbs usually whereas his brother Brink is built like a tank, is over 60 and will eat whatever food he can get his furry little paws on.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Have you tried green tripe? there is nother thread about this with a link to a site where you can get it.

No, never heard of it even:blush2: I'm in a tiny town in South Africa, there's basically nothing here, I can be lucky we have a vet that can do the basics:ashamed: We take the dogs to the capital Pretoria for more serious things, I might be able to find it there but I kind of need to buy food for them that I can get a hold of around where. Ordering isn't really an option as the post office is on strike more often than it works:( It's a problem, when we got the dogs we lived in the capital so it was easy, then my husband got another job and we had to move.

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
No, never heard of it even:blush2: I'm in a tiny town in South Africa, there's basically nothing here, I can be lucky we have a vet that can do the basics:ashamed: We take the dogs to the capital Pretoria for more serious things, I might be able to find it there but I kind of need to buy food for them that I can get a hold of around where. Ordering isn't really an option as the post office is on strike more often than it works:( It's a problem, when we got the dogs we lived in the capital so it was easy, then my husband got another job and we had to move.

I think you can get greentripe where ever there is a butcher of grazing animals--this link is posted else where on the site, but here it is again to make life easier:
The Stink On Tripe- For Your Dog - Dogs Naturally Magazine

Scroll down to the section "bad news" where they discuss how to get tripe, and the hazards of getting it fresh. I think they are basically talking "in America" so it actually might be easier to get in South Africa where people might butcher locally more often. There are several posts on EBN that deal with raw feeding too. I hope and pray for your furbabies. Good luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.