Help Needed! Declaw tore off =(

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
So I have a quick question for anyone who has dealt with torn/broken nails before. What should I do? Brink completely tore off part of his declaw, it looks like we got lucky though, it doesn't look split and there was no bleeding so the tear came in under the quick. Is the exposed part painful? I'm not sure how far up I should take what is exposed or if I should just clean it and leave it alone, will it harden up? If it will harden I am inclined to just leave it be.

Screenshot_2016-04-15-19-53-17_resized.png

Screenshot_2016-04-15-19-53-34_resized.png

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Not much you can do. I would pass the little emerald board lightly to remove little chippy parts if Brinks allow you and clean it with soappy water, pat dry and it should grow back. My GS had that happen to his back paw n bleed. Grew back :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would just clean it and leave it. It should heal just fine. Keeping the nails trimmed short will help prevent this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agreed.... Remove pieces that are loose, clean and it will grow back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Cuddles116

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
Thanks guys, I figured since it wasn't bleeding it didn't need to like be rushed to the vet, I was just worried about the little inner part of the nail (it looks like a little mini nail) since that is showing but he's letting me touch enough to get some of the little chips filed off so I will give him another day before I fully trim it. We usually just use the dremel but I think I may need to actually get some clippers just to get it done without all the vibration.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.