helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was reading an article on Bulldog Care which i posted and was very intrigued on the Head Shake section. I thought to post the Head Shake section on it's own. About: sugars, calcium, nursing and more.

Head Shakes:*

Rather like a fit, but affecting just the head, which will involuntary shake*from side to side, sometimes violently enough to cause their lips to flap about. We have always*found them to be linked to stress which may cause the blood sugar level*to drop enough to trigger the head shake. Giving some glucose or runny honey to bring the*blood sugar level back up should help although distraction often stops the shaking. If you are unable to link the attack to a specific stressful incident then your bulldog may be suffering in some way and*it is advisable that you get your vet to check him over. Note, many vets are unfamiliar with this*breed specific condition and some breeders attribute them to a lack of calcium as they are common in the*pregnant or nursing bitch. However please do not give calcium under normal circumstances as this could*affect the bone formation of your puppy,

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I read your head tremor link and was very interesting. You think there's a link between both? Both you can snap them out of it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama I read your head tremor link and was very interesting. You think there's a link between both? Both you can snap them out of it.

head tremors / head shakes are pretty much the same thing... people refer to them differently. When we went to the neurologist he said there is a lot of speculation, but noting has been proven scientifically as to what the cause and effct is.... but to watch for triggers and keep logs of when they happen. With Nitschke, it seems allergy related, but Banks were stress related.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie gets head tremors and hers are all stress related.
I have found with her the only way i can get them to fully stop is if i give her something hard to chew on like carrots. Honey, yogurt, caro syrup...etc never worked for her.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
head tremors / head shakes are pretty much the same thing... people refer to them differently. When we went to the neurologist he said there is a lot of speculation, but noting has been proven scientifically as to what the cause and effct is.... but to watch for triggers and keep logs of when they happen. With Nitschke, it seems allergy related, but Banks were stress related.

Good to know! Thank you :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online