General Question Elongated Palate Surgery

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
I'm fairly new here but the baby of my pack (I have 3 bullies) is having surgery for an elongated palate at the same time as his neuter tomorrow and I'm just so nervous. He's already had pneumonia once since I've had him and has just been kind of a fragile boy despite good breeding. Has anyone else had a bully have this surgery and did it go okay? Please keep my Otis in your thoughts tomorrow.
eef47cede0d8de57d5a60099d0814a5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dfestaiuti

Dec 1, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Beef (aka "the beast")
Oh my gosh what a handsome boy! Otis will be in my prayers tomorrow. My beef had the enlongated soft palate surgery, nares widening, everted laryngeal saccule removal and neuter all at once last month. The surgery went well, but we ran into some bleeding issues post op SPECIFICALLY because they did not send him home with any anti-nausea meds and he was extreamly extreamly nauseous. Dry heaving and retching caused his throat to bleed. Everything worked out in the end though, if I had to do it again I would just make sure he goes home with anti nausea meds if he seems the slightest bit nauseous. It's been a few weeks and beefs breathing is NOTICIBLY better, snoring is way less, he has more energy and seems to calm down faster then before. He used to gag all the time and throw up white foamy phlegm with food bits in it (huge risk for aspiration) and he no longer does that. His quality of life is so much better and I know he's more comfortable. I would absolutly do this surgery again (despite some pretty scary post op complications) because of how much happier and more comfortable he seems. My boyfriend calls him "Beef 2.0". Otis will do just fine! He will be in my prayers tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes!

OP
spectacularone

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
Oh my gosh what a handsome boy! Otis will be in my prayers tomorrow. My beef had the enlongated soft palate surgery, nares widening, everted laryngeal saccule removal and neuter all at once last month. The surgery went well, but we ran into some bleeding issues post op SPECIFICALLY because they did not send him home with any anti-nausea meds and he was extreamly extreamly nauseous. Dry heaving and retching caused his throat to bleed. Everything worked out in the end though, if I had to do it again I would just make sure he goes home with anti nausea meds if he seems the slightest bit nauseous. It's been a few weeks and beefs breathing is NOTICIBLY better, snoring is way less, he has more energy and seems to calm down faster then before. He used to gag all the time and throw up white foamy phlegm with food bits in it (huge risk for aspiration) and he no longer does that. His quality of life is so much better and I know he's more comfortable. I would absolutly do this surgery again (despite some pretty scary post op complications) because of how much happier and more comfortable he seems. My boyfriend calls him "Beef 2.0". Otis will do just fine! He will be in my prayers tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes!

Thank you so much for your reply, and I appreciate the prayers. I'm glad your Beef is all better. Otis has already had pneumonia once with a very high fever (we had to rush him to the doggie ER) so I'll be glad to get him totally healthy and past all of this. :)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I'll be praying for sweet Otis, and for the doc & all the vet techs. Is the vet doing the procedure bully experienced?
Sending hugs - keep us posted tomorrow, I'll be checking in for updates [emoji6]

OP
spectacularone

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
I'll be praying for sweet Otis, and for the doc & all the vet techs. Is the vet doing the procedure bully experienced?
Sending hugs - keep us posted tomorrow, I'll be checking in for updates [emoji6]

Thanks for the prayers. He used to be the president of our local bulldog club and sees a large number of Bulldogs so I'm hopeful but worried because it's just something new to me. I will update tomorrow.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm fairly new here but the baby of my pack (I have 3 bullies) is having surgery for an elongated palate at the same time as his neuter tomorrow and I'm just so nervous. He's already had pneumonia once since I've had him and has just been kind of a fragile boy despite good breeding. Has anyone else had a bully have this surgery and did it go okay? Please keep my Otis in your thoughts tomorrow.

Lots of good thoughts and prayers to Otis! I've had two of my babies need this procedure.... biggest thing is to keep them calm and no barking for a few days... soft food for about a week too

please keep us posted.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15737]spectacularone[/MENTION] Checking in to see how your boy is doing today--Looking forward to hearing that all went well for him!:yes:

OP
spectacularone

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
Otis woke up fine. The vet said his palate was huge so it's a good thing that he had the surgery. He has to stay the night at the vet and they are keeping him slightly sedated. Thank you for the prayers everyone.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Just saw this. Great to hear surgery went well. Castor has gone through this too.

Wishing Otis a speedy recovery!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I know it's late but so happy to check in and see he did well!!! Please let us know once he's home :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hope that Otis is doing well today!!

OP
spectacularone

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
03bafc877b2fae9eb33ca79da060962c.jpg
I am happy to report that I worried for nothing. Otis sounds 100% clearer already and I expected him to be mopey today but really he's been dashing about the house trying to chase the other two so he really seems to have taken it very well. Just following his soft food diet. Thanks for all the prayers and checking in on him.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
03bafc877b2fae9eb33ca79da060962c.jpg
I am happy to report that I worried for nothing. Otis sounds 100% clearer already and I expected him to be mopey today but really he's been dashing about the house trying to chase the other two so he really seems to have taken it very well. Just following his soft food diet. Thanks for all the prayers and checking in on him.

Great! Hoping the recovery continues togo well

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online