PUPPY INCOMING...FLEA/TIC MEDICINE?

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
New puppy arriving in 2 weeks. Wondering what everyone uses nowadays for flea and tic medicine?

With my last bulldog, I was using Trifexis for his flea, tic, worm medicine. Is this still ok? Or what is recommended?

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I use the Advantix II for flea and tick and Heartgard Plus for worms. Advantix is ok but I hate how it makes him flake after I apply it. I have never used Trifexis.

chitownbully

Nov 23, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
KINGSTON / PRINCE
I use Frontline Plus for flea and tick medicine and Heartgard Plus for worms, which is what our vet recommended. If Trifexis worked for your last bulldog, I'm sure it still ok to use. Enjoy your new puppy!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
DO NOT use Trifexis for your dogs, there is huge lawsuit pending from pet owners losing their dogs to complications resulting from Trifexis. I use Sentinel tabs, and have used Advantix II and Frontline as a topical.

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
Advantix II for flea and tick and Sentinel for heartworm.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
S

socalseminole

Mar 9, 2016
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
None yet
ok thanks...haven't heard of any of those except Advantix really. I don't want to do topical stuff so which ones can he take by mouth?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
ok thanks...haven't heard of any of those except Advantix really. I don't want to do topical stuff so which ones can he take by mouth?

Sentinel is tabs, but most of the flea/tick repellant is topical. Be wary of using ANY new product out there on the market, my vet explained to me that she likes using the older products because the long term side effects have been studied.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Please do not use Trifexis, we know of bullies that have died from the side effects. Many dogs have, there are articles and pages dedicated to it on Facebook.

We use Sentinel tablets for heartworm/fleas and because we are in a high tick area, we use Vectra 3D topical..... we have used both for man, many years on all our bullies without issue

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
Do not let your vet talk you into Nexguard --my Bully has Megaesophagus (possibly for life--they do not know) because of that medication. I posted a few links to information about Nexguard and Bravecto--they are both new to the market (about 2-3 years), and some vets (mine) push them as safe medications, when they are not.

kathyp12

Apr 14, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo
It is safe to deworm every month. I use heartgard/nexgard combination for my dogs.
(both from either walmart/amazon/ petbucket.com)

spectacularone

Apr 9, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winni, Hank, Otis
Has anyone used Bravecto? It's a 3 month pill. My older dogs used it last year but I agree, maybe not a good idea to use things that are new so maybe this year we will do something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
We've used Advantix II for many years with no problem. I like that it also repels mosquitos. The only negative that I have found is sometimes the skin is dry in those areas after using. I try to put it on in the morning and then use a baby wipe before bed to clean the leftover off their fur.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.