brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I did not call as my daughter reports he ate well this morning and at a much more normal rate of speed. I am going to assume that the infection was just so bad that it was painful for him to chew and swallow.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So update on Brutus is, he still is eating very slow. I called the vet and he said to give him an aspirin for three days and see if it relieves his discomfort. He doesnt think it has to do with the ear infection. If there is no improvement, Brutus has to be admitted to the hospital for sedation to check his throat and teeth. I really dont think it is his teeth because he chews his bones like a champ on both sides of his mouth. If he had a cracked or abscessed tooth, I think he would not chew his bones right?? Of course I go right to the thought of tumor in his throat or something equally devastating! I do not see any lumps or feel anything though, so I am now on day two of aspirin therapy. Any thoughts???

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So update on Brutus is, he still is eating very slow. I called the vet and he said to give him an aspirin for three days and see if it relieves his discomfort. He doesnt think it has to do with the ear infection. If there is no improvement, Brutus has to be admitted to the hospital for sedation to check his throat and teeth. I really dont think it is his teeth because he chews his bones like a champ on both sides of his mouth. If he had a cracked or abscessed tooth, I think he would not chew his bones right?? Of course I go right to the thought of tumor in his throat or something equally devastating! I do not see any lumps or feel anything though, so I am now on day two of aspirin therapy. Any thoughts???

Based on what you have said, I agree can't be a tooth. have you tired some soft food to see how he reacts/eats that?

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Based on what you have said, I agree can't be a tooth. have you tired some soft food to see how he reacts/eats that?
I was thinking the same thing. I have to see if Fromm has wet food.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh Rosalie, I'm SO sorry… poor Brutus I hope that he starts eating soon :(

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] Rosalie, I am praying for poor Brutus. I am thinking that it still could be a tooth(back molar) or inflamed gum. I don't think when they chew bones that their molar would come in contact with the bone. This is just a thought,and may be way off. Just know that I am praying my best for you and Bru.:pray:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was thinking the same thing. I have to see if Fromm has wet food.

yes, they do.... I used to feed Banks the canned 'shredded beef'

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh man, just reading this about Brutus. I hope you get to the bottom of why he's been eating slower these last couple of days. Please keep us updated on your baby!

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He seems to be getting better. He is still slower than normal, but getting better. I will give it this week and if not completely normal, I will take hime in. I just hate for him to have to go under sedation.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I think we are suffering a bit of a set back. Brutus doesn't want to eat at all now. He grudgingly eats and this morning he was acting very strange, almost confused. He is booked into the hospital for Thursday where they can sedate him and hopefully give me some answers. Of course, he will go to emergency vet if anything goes further south with him. I am of course freaking out!! :(

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I think we are suffering a bit of a set back. Brutus doesn't want to eat at all now. He grudgingly eats and this morning he was acting very strange, almost confused. He is booked into the hospital for Thursday where they can sedate him and hopefully give me some answers. Of course, he will go to emergency vet if anything goes further south with him. I am of course freaking out!! :(

DAMN DAMN DAMn..... I was hoping he was on the upward climb. sending lots of hugs and prayers to you and Bru!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Best wishes to Brutus from Castor!

Just a thought on the wet food discussed above - if you normally feed keeble, could you try to soak it (pour hot water and then leave to cool)?

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Best wishes to Brutus from Castor!

Just a thought on the wet food discussed above - if you normally feed keeble, could you try to soak it (pour hot water and then leave to cool)?
I will try this with dinner. It should make him more comfortable

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter

sorry, but hoping for the best for Brutus. Good Luck Rosalie.

Members online

No members online now.