Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Default Recurring UTI

Hi everyone, our puppy, Pippen is now almost 8 months and has had a few UTIs...She has been on antibiotics a few times and after the last time in February, we had a urine culture done and came back clear and she was great for about a month, no accidents at all. Then last week she had a couple accidents in her crate at night and had started "leaking" urine anytime she was sleeping - her bottom and back leg would be wet after she woke up. So I took her back to the vet and they did another culture and she does have another infection so we are about to start another round of antibiotics.

So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on what we can do to help prevent her from getting anymore? We try to wipe her after she goes to the bathroom but it's hard to do every single time. The vet said to give her more water and let her out more often to help flush everything out and said he hasn't seen cranberry supplements, etc to really be effective. Is there anything else we can do??

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Recurring UTI

This is a homeopathic med. that is supposed to help ward off UTI's.
    I have never had to use it-it is just a suggestion.You may want to check it out. @sunkissedpr1ncs
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

3. Likes 2BullyMama, sunkissedpr1ncs liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Is it possible she has too much skin in her girlie area? banks had that issue and at around 15 months (I think) we had to do a vulvaplasty to eliminate all the extra skin. she had constant UTI, as soon as she came off the antibiotic she would get another one.... we did the wiping, cranberry, etc, etc.... and out vet then said, it was time to trim the area --- after that, she never got another UTI
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Is it possible she has too much skin in her girlie area? banks had that issue and at around 15 months (I think) we had to do a vulvaplasty to eliminate all the extra skin. she had constant UTI, as soon as she came off the antibiotic she would get another one.... we did the wiping, cranberry, etc, etc.... and out vet then said, it was time to trim the area --- after that, she never got another UTI
    No, the vet said that area looks great, no extra skin or anything and it's nice and clean. The only thing I can think of is that she squats pretty low to the ground when she goes pee but what the heck am I supposed to do about that?? Haha

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sunkissedpr1ncs View Post
    No, the vet said that area looks great, no extra skin or anything and it's nice and clean. The only thing I can think of is that she squats pretty low to the ground when she goes pee but what the heck am I supposed to do about that?? Haha
    Low rider, huh?! Nothing you can do, that I can think of..... I used a cranberry supplement for a while, it might be worth a try?

Amazon.com: Cranimals Original Organic Supplement for Dogs & Cats, 120g: Sports & Outdoors
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Michele
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barkley and Pippen
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Low rider, huh?! Nothing you can do, that I can think of..... I used a cranberry supplement for a while, it might be worth a try?

Amazon.com: Cranimals Original Organic Supplement for Dogs & Cats, 120g: Sports & Outdoors
    Yea wouldn't hurt! We have always given her some ACV with her food and I had hoped that would help some too but I guess not

8. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post

Remove Ads