Thread: "Clicking Hips" and Diahrrhea

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bernice
    Likes (Received)

Default "Clicking Hips" and Diahrrhea

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are new Bulldog owners, we have had our little baby Bernice for just over 5 months. We have had her to the vet already a few times other than her regular check ups. (being paranoid parents). We noticed that her hips click a bit and if you put your hand on her back as she walks you can feel her hips move in and out. I mentioned this to the vet and he said that they were "abnormal" and that at that age its too hard to actually identify it as hip dysplasia. She plays normal and she does not seem bothered by it at all! First question is, have any of your bulldog puppies or dogs at that age had that problem and seen it get better as they aged? Is there anything specific you requested from the vet to help with it, or is there anything I should look into?

Second is we are having some soft stools. Some days they are harder, but they are usually always "soft serve". Gross I know, but I am sure someone out there has experienced this quite a bit. We have her switched off of RC to Fromm Four Star Beef Frittata, and was hoping that it would get better, but her stool are still runny. She has not been on Fromm that long, so I am not going to give up on that quite yet. We were feeding her twice a day about 1 1/2 cups, and just started doing 1 cup to hope and get that stool harder? Can anyone suggest ways to get harder stools. The doctor was made aware of this as well, but said they can stay soft for a full year. Just felt like that seemed odd. Thoughts, concerns, help?

Thanks so much!

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "Clicking Hips" and Diahrrhea

The hips could just be loose, and not displasia, only time will tell on that. I was going to suggest decreasing the food a bit, as that should help with the soft serve. Usually too much food will cause that. I hope since you decreased the amount of food that will help.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

3. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

With the food, my EB didn't do well on beef frittata (loose poops) but when I switched to pork & pea his poops were solid within 1-2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

For the hips I would suggest salmon oil and joint supplement with at least MSM and Glucosamine.

Real Name
    Anna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frith
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Fritthy

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    The hips could just be loose, and not displasia, only time will tell on that. I was going to suggest decreasing the food a bit, as that should help with the soft serve. Usually too much food will cause that. I hope since you decreased the amount of food that will help.
    Quote Originally Posted by RiiSi View Post
    For the hips I would suggest salmon oil and joint supplement with at least MSM and Glucosamine.
    agreed! cut back a little on the food to see if it helps.... her is a good guideline for amount/age

8 weeks 1/2 cup 3 times a day
    12 weeks 2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
    4 & 5 months 3/4 cup 3 times a day
    6 months to 1 year 1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

8. Likes Davidh liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bernice
    Likes (Received)

When switching the foods on Fromm will i need to wean her off the old food, or is that easy on their stomachs, if we want to try a different grain free food? Also, will the salmon oil help with both hips and diarrhea?

Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tomolson24 View Post
    When switching the foods on Fromm will i need to wean her off the old food, or is that easy on their stomachs, if we want to try a different grain free food? Also, will the salmon oil help with both hips and diarrhea?
    The great thing about Fromm grain free line.... you change switch without transition... you can even feed one flavor for breakfast and a different one for dinner. The salmon oil is to help with the hips....

For the poo... lessen the amount first and see if it helps, if not, then you can either switch flavors or add a tablespoon of pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) to her meal
    e.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bernice
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much for the help! We will get the salmon oil and see how it works for her. Lastly, is the pumpkin a temp fix or will that help after they dont eat it anymore? Sorry for all the questions.

Side question not relevant...can you see my profile picture on the left?

12. Likes TyTysmom liked this post
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much for the help! We will get the salmon oil and see how it works for her. Lastly, is the pumpkin a temp fix or will that help after they dont eat it anymore? Sorry for all the questions.

I give pumpkin every day with breakfast because Lambeau needs the extra fiber.... seriously, try to cut back the amount at each meal first and see if that works, could juts be too much food.

I can not see your avatar picture.... on post/forum page it is 'avatar'... on your profile page is 'profile picture'..... hope that helps
    e.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Yep, I can see your pic now.

Pumpkin can be used temporarily or long term. We've only used it for "problem times" and once its cleared up we stop. Also, I know others mentioned salmon oil which is indeed great. However I would not introduce the salmon oil until you have the "poo" under control .... bc that can make it worse (runny wise) Tyson didn't do well on the oil, just depends on the dog, it upset his tummy. I do recommend some joint supplements; which you can start at any time really as they are wafers, and most dogs love them and consider them treats. Mine does, LOL We have used Nujoint and Consequin. Feel free to research, just be sure they have MSM and Glucosamine. She is still young so she may end up growing into her hips, etc. Christine answered your other question on the switch. If its within Fromms' grain free line you don't have to do a slow transition. If you are going to try a whole new food, then yes absolutely... and I would span the transition out a minimum of a full 7 days if possible. Keep us posted on her progress! She's a cutie!

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

15. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bernice
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that! Yeah we have already weaned her off the RC, which we did over a week span of slow increments. Hoping the lower dose helps! I will certainly look into the joint pills so that we can start her on those "treats". Hoping its not long term with the hips!!! Again, doesnt seem to be bothering her which is good, but just scared long term with arthritis and all that! Thanks again!!!

17. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads