Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: "Clicking Hips" and Diahrrhea

Quote Originally Posted by tomolson24 View Post
    Thanks for that! Yeah we have already weaned her off the RC, which we did over a week span of slow increments. Hoping the lower dose helps! I will certainly look into the joint pills so that we can start her on those "treats". Hoping its not long term with the hips!!! Again, doesnt seem to be bothering her which is good, but just scared long term with arthritis and all that! Thanks again!!!
    It could just be her age and she's not fully grown into them yet. But unfortunately with bulldogs its a very common occurrence. The supplements will help tremendously, as they go in and strengthen the joints, and help with inflammation. My Tyson is 10 yrs old, and started to have arthritis issues at the age of 8, but I've seen it in much younger bullies. Its not a horrible thing per say, you just have to treat it, and stay on top of the supplements, vitamins etc that help it. And as hard as this may sound, especially for a pup her age, try to not let her jump too high or off of high things. If she gets on the couch or beds, consider purchasing some stairs, and train her to use them.... it will help so much in the long run for her joints. Another member here, Matt @Enjoimangos baby Boris has severe hip displasia but Boris is doing wonderful, and he has learned to adjust. Perhaps he can chime in with some advice too, but I wouldn't' be too concerned yet until she's fully grown

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

2. Likes tomolson24, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tomolson24 View Post
    Thanks for that! Yeah we have already weaned her off the RC, which we did over a week span of slow increments. Hoping the lower dose helps! I will certainly look into the joint pills so that we can start her on those "treats". Hoping its not long term with the hips!!! Again, doesnt seem to be bothering her which is good, but just scared long term with arthritis and all that! Thanks again!!!
    Hi there! I just wanted to tell you that Joey's hips clicked up until about a month ago, now not. Her vet said not to worry, she'll probably grow out of it. Joey is 10 months old now. The Vet does always check her hips on normal visits though. I'm really new at this too and you've gotten THE BEST ADVICE from Jessica and Christine about the pumpkin for sure!!

Joey had "soft serve" too and THAT IS EXACTLY how I described it!! The pumpkin worked so fast!! Joey gets maybe a tablespoon on evening meal, I kept it up because I was moving from puppy to adult kibble.

Hope all of this helps some how. BTW LOVE the name Bernice!!!
    May the sun in your eyes be your ONLY problem today! Peace Friends!

4. Likes TyTysmom, tomolson24, Manydogs liked this post
    Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    KINGSTON
    Likes (Received)

Hi tomolson24 My baby will be 8 months in a few days, at around 5 months he started showing symptoms of having hip dysplasia. Vet did a physical exam on his legs and did not feel any looseness in his joints, and said the only way to diagnose hip dysplasia is with x-rays and because puppy must be very still he would have to be anesthetized. Not something we feel is necessary to do at this time. We started him on a joint supplement of Glucosamine Chondroitin + MSM, which seems to be helping. It took about a month before i started noticing some improvement.
    I don't think it gets better as they age. We can only manage it and hope it doesn't get to bad where surgery is necessary.

Regarding the soft stool my baby also has soft stools, formed but very soft. Vet does not seem concerned about this at all. We contribute it to any of the meds he's been on and hoping once he's done with this last round it will harden up. His last dose is tomorrow and i am so so happy, as i'm sure he will be too. I would ask my vet before cutting the amount of her food intake.

I hope this helps!

6. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bernice
    Likes (Received)

Thanks so much for the input! I hope Joey stays healthy!!! Thanks for the props on the name I appreciate the info!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you Chitownbully! I really appreciate your input!

8. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Boris Bullski
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    It could just be her age and she's not fully grown into them yet. But unfortunately with bulldogs its a very common occurrence. The supplements will help tremendously, as they go in and strengthen the joints, and help with inflammation. My Tyson is 10 yrs old, and started to have arthritis issues at the age of 8, but I've seen it in much younger bullies. Its not a horrible thing per say, you just have to treat it, and stay on top of the supplements, vitamins etc that help it. And as hard as this may sound, especially for a pup her age, try to not let her jump too high or off of high things. If she gets on the couch or beds, consider purchasing some stairs, and train her to use them.... it will help so much in the long run for her joints. Another member here, Matt @Enjoimangos baby Boris has severe hip displasia but Boris is doing wonderful, and he has learned to adjust. Perhaps he can chime in with some advice too, but I wouldn't' be too concerned yet until she's fully grown

I had a very similar situation where I felt my boys hips clicking when he walked at 5 months. We had them do the Xrays when we had him neutered at 8 months and unfortunately he indeed had HD and would probably have a rough go at life. He's going on 2 years old and is doing very well. The best recommendations I can make is to ensure she gets a hip supplement (we use Nuvet plus) and that she keeps a healthy weight to keep from adding extra pressure to her joints. If you do end up finding out she has HD you will want to watch her like a hawk and learn her limits. If you ever have any questions feel free to ask, Welcome to EBN!

10. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads