Help look at this!!

Jaime Jimmy Ramirez

Oct 1, 2014
boston, mass
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
Any of your bulldogs have this hair loss on the side?? 1460037396223.jpg1460037350166.jpg

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Yep looks like seasonal flank alopecia...Abbott gets it every spring now.We give him 3 mgs of melatonin nightly but it should be started in winter per our vet.
19e818ee218a7bdffa074b0747866d98.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is Hazel?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree, it's SFA. You can get melatonin at any drug store... For humans, 3mg a day. It's been said it can be from a lack of sunlight, hence why so many get it nearing or in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Late, as usual! Yes, it is sfa. Doesn't look pretty but it is just cosmetic. As stated-melatonin.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
My dog Rumble is starting to get some spots like this but also just random spots all over and he will have scab like clumps where his fur falls out. Vet thinks it is allergies as opposed to SFA. Any thoughts? Since he has so many places where he is losing fur, it is hard to photograph. Also, this has been going on for a year now.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My dog Rumble is starting to get some spots like this but also just random spots all over and he will have scab like clumps where his fur falls out. Vet thinks it is allergies as opposed to SFA. Any thoughts? Since he has so many places where he is losing fur, it is hard to photograph. Also, this has been going on for a year now.

That sounds like staph infection which is from a weaken immune system which is caused by allergies..... only way to fight it is a long high dose of antibiotics and build the immune system up.... do you give Rumble probiotics (yogurt or keifer)

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
That sounds like staph infection which is from a weaken immune system which is caused by allergies..... only way to fight it is a long high dose of antibiotics and build the immune system up.... do you give Rumble probiotics (yogurt or keifer)

Agree, if they are scabs which then fall off it sounds like staph.

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble

How would they test for staph? The vet didn't even mention that yesterday. He is not on yogurt regularly anymore. We adopted another bulldog and yogurt makes his tummy upset so we stopped giving either one of them yogurt.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
How would they test for staph? The vet didn't even mention that yesterday. He is not on yogurt regularly anymore. We adopted another bulldog and yogurt makes his tummy upset so we stopped giving either one of them yogurt.

Not sure what tests would confirm it, but mention it to the vet and see what they say. Also, I use Petkelp for probiotic instead of yogart, been doing that for about 3 months and seems to be working well.

Pet Kelp Supplements - Natural Probiotics for Dogs and Cats

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Hard to tell from the pics, but usually SFA, the skin will be almost black underneath.. My pup got it years back, and when the hair grows back it'll be black.. She's a full brindle, with black patches bi-laterally from the SFA, 1 year and then the next..

OP
Jaime Jimmy Ramirez

Jaime Jimmy Ramirez

Oct 1, 2014
boston, mass
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Hazel
So it was seasonal flank they rocmme melatonin for her starting to grow back very slow but at least it's working

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online