General Question Hair Loss

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I just noticed on brutus that he has a spot of hairloss on each side of him.
Ruthie has the same thing. When i took her to the vet last week for her ear, i brought it up. We noticed a dark spot on her getting darker and the vet said it looks like hair loss and that she's not concerned, she chalked it up to Ruthie's age.
both of them have them in the same spots, on their sides.
now that it's the both of them, i'm concerned. I've done nothing different with them. Any ideas?

IMG_1910.JPG

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
strange that it is both of them at the same time, but I also think it might be SFA. Lynn might have some insight, I tagged her

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
OH NO! is this something i should worry myself about? I'm going to google....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OH NO! is this something i should worry myself about? I'm going to google....

Nope.... harmless, and if that is what it is, then melatonin will help

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nope.... harmless, and if that is what it is, then melatonin will help

OK...whew. It is not bothering them, no scratching, licking..etc. I give them melatonin at night, i'll keep that up and see if it helps. i'll be looking forward to Lynns response too.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9205]JennieS[/MENTION] I am pretty sure it is seasonal flank alopecia The skin will usually blacken, and loss if hair. So far mine haven't had it again,since I have been giving melatonin-but we will see. Maude had it two years ago,and lost on both sides. One side is just starting to grow some hair now-they other side got all the hair back. Carlie had it one year,it grew back. Martha took melatonin -and her skin darkened, but she never lost hair(she was the youngest, and I had started melatonin already. It doesn't hurt, all it does is look odd! Don't worry. You could start the melatonin now. It's odd that a lot of Vets. don't seem to know about it!

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
@JennieS I am pretty sure it is seasonal flank alopecia The skin will usually blacken, and loss if hair. So far mine haven't had it again,since I have been giving melatonin-but we will see. Maude had it two years ago,and lost on both sides. One side is just starting to grow some hair now-they other side got all the hair back. Carlie had it one year,it grew back. Martha took melatonin -and her skin darkened, but she never lost hair(she was the youngest, and I had started melatonin already. It doesn't hurt, all it does is look odd! Don't worry. You could start the melatonin now. It's odd that a lot of Vets. don't seem to know about it!

Yes that is what is happening to them. Ruthie has a huge black mark and the hair is thinning. i can tell more with her because she's white. It's on both her sides. I just noticed on brutus because he's dark. It's also on both his sides.

So melatonin will clear it up or help clear it up?
They have never had this before.

Thank you for your help everyone!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have noticed that as time goes on the melatonin seems to help prevent it,more than it does to clear it up. If they do get it, it seems to not be as much with melatonin,as without.
English bulldogs are the only breed I have ever had that have ever gotten SFA. Maybe because they can't stay in the sun too much? Just guessing......

OP
JennieS

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I have noticed that as time goes on the melatonin seems to help prevent it,more than it does to clear it up. If they do get it, it seems to not be as much with melatonin,as without.
English bulldogs are the only breed I have ever had that have ever gotten SFA. Maybe because they can't stay in the sun too much? Just guessing......

Thanks Lynn! i'll keep giving them the melatonin and keep an eye on it.

They love the sun and i use sunscreen on them, so i may have to use a bit more this year for them.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My Bella used to get this, and it's completely harmless. Hers would go away by the summer...

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.