Solutions for E-collar

CarrieW

Apr 4, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Little Lola had her eye and a large tumor removed today.
I have a few more days off work, but we will soon need to depend on the e-collar to keep her from rubbing it.
Problem #1. She HATES wearing a normal collar, let alone a giant cone. This will most likely generate a great deal of stress for the old girl.. and me too.
Problem #2. She has very little neck and what she does have is the same size as her head.
I am hoping that someone might have a creative solution.
Thanks, Carris and Lola.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Our vet gave us this pretty cool e collar for our Great Dane pup Jawnie that is made out of a tarp like material. The way it falls prevents Jawnie from chewing on his leg. It's floppy so he can lay down. He can scratch his head though but his legs are much longer than an EB.

Might be worth a try? Get one and observe how she's like in it before leaving her to her own devices?? It's by vet one and it's called a elizasoft collar. He one he is in is a medium. It ties around the neck.

136316aa90c2ff684ae707977c73a1ce.jpg

f3838018d28bdf237e8cce4243220b3c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

CarrieW

Apr 4, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
That looks way more comfortable than the one I have. I will check this out. What a sweetie! She looks like a flower! Thank you for your advice.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
That looks way more comfortable than the one I have. I will check this out. What a sweetie! She looks like a flower! Thank you for your advice.

Good luck with everything and sorry for the typos above. I'm having a tough time editing through the app...

I have to say that the Eliza collar is holding up pretty well for a puppy but it now sometimes comes down on him like a bib

https://vimeo.com/161560834

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Have you considered a blow up collar? They sell a great one at petco called the zen collar it loops through their regular collar image.jpeg

OP
C

CarrieW

Apr 4, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Hi Carolyn. I saw this one on line and was wondering how it would work with a thick neck. It looks like it fits well. I will see if my Petco has this in store. Thank you!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I hear you on the thick neck, I got a size large for Murray he weighs 54 lbs. good luck! Those cones are such a pain in general but this one seemed to be a bit more comfortable almost like a blow up pillow. I did go to pet smart as well, they had one too but in my opinion the petco one fit better and stayed more securely with the Velcro, it seemed like it was made with a better quality

OP
C

CarrieW

Apr 4, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
With her little stubby legs, my main concern is her rubbing it on her bedding or bumping it. Do you feel that this collar would help with those scenarios?

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murray wasn't able to get at it with his paws, for us the key was to make sure it was on snugly to the collar that was a big help! i would ask if you can try one on to be fitted in store, the petco by me let us do that and it was a huge help. One thing that DIDN'T help is that I felt guilty a week or so into the blow up cone and would give Murray small doses of freedom without it, I do not recommend this because if you walk away for even one second they will take advantage and bite a hole in it (yes, sadly this happened too, twice actually because I apparently have to learn these things the hard way lol) so yeah I would say go to the store and have them fit you with one and leave it on, don't give into those sad 'but mom pleeeeaaaase' glances, stay strong! One other thing that helped make it blow up faster is that they used the blow dryer from the grooming station to blow it up super fast!

OP
C

CarrieW

Apr 4, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I was able to run out and pick up the round inflatable one tonight. I quickly learned that Lola's head is way smaller than her neck. She slid right out of it. Thankfully, I was able to take the rest of the week off. Tomorrow I will see if I can find a way to attach it to her harness.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Does she have a collar and a harness or just the harness?

OP
C

CarrieW

Apr 4, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
She normally wears a harness, but I purchased a collar with the inflatable one. It slid right off her little noggin. I was able to attach the e-collar directly to her harness. She is not a happy camper.20160407_100837-1.jpg

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Oh poor thing! Even worse that we are all smiling at her expense, but that picture is priceless! Hopefully she won't need it much longer.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.