ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
A brief history on our wonderful bulldog Millie: In the almost 2 years she's been alive, she's had bad allergies, demodex, constant eye infections, surgery to remove a towel that she ate in her crate, ANOTHER surgery right after to remove part of her bowel that died from eating said towel, and pneumonia. We've now taken steps to prevent the towel/bed eating from happening by removing all bedding from her crate. We also are sure to keep her eye wrinkles clean and we now know the products that clear up any bacterial/fungal issues she has. She's also on apoquel for her itching and allergies, which has really cut down on the itching, along with a grain free food.

She went a record 4 months without a serious vet visit until this past week. I noticed a lump under her jaw, which the vet believes is an infected salivary gland. We're trying to see if antibiotics and a NSAID helps, but she will more than likely require surgery. On top of that, the vet also said she may have an ulcer or a UTI based on some blood work. I ALSO noticed a bright red streak in her poop this morning.

So after 2 years this May (sorry for the long history), we've probably spent close to 10,000 on her. I fully understand Bulldogs are more prone to health issues, but this feels like more issues than the normal bulldog. She hasn't broken us financially, but I'm worried that finances may become a concern if this continues. I NEVER want to have to consider re-homing my dog if we can't afford her, so I'm wondering if insurance might be a good way to cut down on costs of anything else that happens in the future, since pre-existing conditions won't be covered.

Thoughts?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do not use pet insurance, we have a credit card just for vet care/emergencies with our two. Thing is most, will not cover any pre-existing conditions, so if you are going to get it, you really should get it the day you adopt/purchase you puppy.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i would check into the insurance before you buy it because i think some of them limit what they cover.. i never did get it just for the fact it is per dog, i have 4 bulldogs so i figured the monthly cost of it wouldn't pay for me. although i have a lot of money in a couple of mine for different health issues, it was things the insurance would not cover. so to me i didn't feel it was worth it.. but that is just me.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would guess that with all Millie has been through, insurance co. would find a way to relate an illness/surgery to something that is "pre-existed". I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION],
and [MENTION=295]punky[/MENTION] have a special credit card for her, or a savings account.
I am sorry that you and your baby have been through so much!

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
I would guess that with all Millie has been through, insurance co. would find a way to relate an illness/surgery to something that is "pre-existed". I agree with @2BullyMama,
and @punky have a special credit card for her, or a savings account.
I am sorry that you and your baby have been through so much!
oh i do have.. i have been lucky that when they do have issues that it comes one at a time..

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I have friend who works for one of the main pet insurance - her advice to me was to put money into a savings account esp since we have or existing conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Meant to say pre existing but I can't edit through the app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good grief, sorry you have had so many problems, unfortunately some people are not responsible breeders and just breed anything, and here is where all the health problems come from. As far as the bedding eating, we had one that would do the same thing, so we got her and in fact all our crates have them now, is a vinyl crate pad from Primo pet pads. As far as the insurance, they will not pay for existing conditions, and we have 7 dogs, two English and 5 Frenchies, and have never had insurance.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
sorry but with the existing conditions, insurance will not really benefit you as they will have an out as pre existing condition so will consequently decline claims relating to conditions that are pre existing.

As one member indicated in a prior post that insurance is beneficial at puppy stage where no known illness has been establish yet. As such, the insurance will no leg to stand on when declining claims as there are no established pre existing conditions to refer to.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
It's amazing what they will say is pre existing also...I had a plan a few years back and they denied a claim for X rays and treatment because I had him in a year prior for a limp. I believe in your situation it may unfortunately be too late...there are a lot of issues your poor Millie has been through that they'll most likely try to relate any future issues to.

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
So sorry you and Millie are going through this! When we got our Betty 2 months ago, we did consider getting pet insurance, but she is almost 4 and we found premiums to be really high. We've had her to the vet twice since we've had her as well for skin issues which aren't typically covered anyway. So we are also going down the savings/have a credit card just for her. It sounds like you have had an especially rough time though!

OP
A

ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Yeah, we kind of figured the insurance wouldn't be too beneficial since she's been through a lot already. I like the separate savings account idea, since we usually just take the money out of our savings account, which makes it feel like a harder hit than it actually might be. Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone!

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
Yeah, we kind of figured the insurance wouldn't be too beneficial since she's been through a lot already. I like the separate savings account idea, since we usually just take the money out of our savings account, which makes it feel like a harder hit than it actually might be. Thanks for the advice and kind words everyone!

I'm sorry about your poor Millie!! You sound like great parents. I like this idea of the separate savings account. I have pet insurance from Healthy Paws. It has been great for us with all of Farley's issues that pop up. He didn't have Pre-Existing issues at the time we adopted him. Thankfully our vet advised pet insurance before we brought him in for an exam. The down side of the pet insurance is that you still have to pay out of pocket and then get reimbursed after you meet your deductible. We've already meet our deductible last week with one visit. *lol* I do believe that if we add another Bully after Farley, then I will still get insurance again. I just like the idea of the savings account to help pay out of pocket, while I wait for the reimbursement check. Good luck with your Millie!

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I only ever advise someone to get it if they are adopting a puppy, or rescuing a dog that doesn't have a long history of health issues that could be considered pre-existing conditions.

i have it on frank because I was able to adopt him at a young age (14 weeks) and it's been a life saver.

I also lucked out because frank is technically a bulldog/beagle mix, and being a mixed breed qualifies him for cheaper insurance. Although he looks all english bulldog, and definitely was plagued with english bulldog health issues! My policy has paid for itself and then some.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online