Help Needed! Third Eyelid Issue

madisonpsaustin

Apr 3, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Brixton
Hello everyone,

I am new here and decided to join as I am a new EB owner and have many questions! I have one concern with my Brixton at the moment, it appears as if his third eyelid almost has a rip or has a second layer over it... It is very strange and was previously just a flat pink eyelid. image.jpegimage.jpeg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN

Wondering if it could be the start of cherry eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
My French bulldog mix had something similar to this and it was cause by him scratching at his eyes due to allergies. He does have a cherry eye in the same eye too but the ophthalmologist said the two issues were unrelated. (Yes he has an ophthalmologist lol - he has 2 floating eye cysts we are watching)

Since eyes are precious thing I would recommend seeing a vet just in case it is a scratch so he can get antibiotic drops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello there.... if you look under the Health and Nutrition you will find alot on Cherry eye. I just had Nyala's fixed while she was getting spayed. Your dog doesn't seem that bad. Or above to your right Advance Search type cherry eye as that's how I got my info from other owners dogs with cherry eye. I kept pushing it back 3x a week a d since she was getting spayed I had it done. She's healing very well. :)

Cherry eye  6 months old.jpg
Cherry eye

Cherry eye gone.jpg
Cherry eye gone. This is 6 days after surgery.
She was helping me out in the garden. :unsure:

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
It looks like cherry eye it's a pretty easy fix,our vet did the stitch to hold it in and he recommended doing both eyes because it'll likely happen to both.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

LouLanaro

Mar 31, 2016
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hi
I am going through that now and trying to find a pattern on what causes the cherry eye to pop out
I know it always happens if he starts horsing around and trying to get at my feet an I push him away or running away from me when he see's the harness. I also suspect that those feeders that that prevent eating too quickly could cause it because he goes crazy trying to get a the food; especially when he was younger and had trouble reaching it..so I now feed him with regular open feeder...and frequently use tear drops...
I hate the thought of having to do surgery on him and trying to nurse his eye...
we'll see

regards
Lou

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Doesn't look like cherry eye to me, but is a little swollen, maybe due to allergies. Try some Benedryl for a few days and see if that helps.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
It looks like cherry eye it's a pretty easy fix,our vet did the stitch to hold it in and he recommended doing both eyes because it'll likely happen to both.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OMG just the thought other side comes out. According to the vet he said no issue on the other side. He better be right. I really dont feel like going through that again.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I don't think it is cherry eye. It looks like an inflammation and I would start either a zyrtec or allegra everyday or benedryl daily to see if it helps. The zyrtec or allegra is one pill daily and the benedryl is 1mg per pound so if your baby weighs over 50 pounds, you can give up to two pills daily. I would start low though with one benedryl daily and go from there if needed.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.