helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
As some knows I took Nyala's pee for analyze cause she was peeing often. Yes I said WAS :) This was Thursday and I never saw the vet as he was in surgery and just came out to test the urine sample gave it to miss bootcamp. The boot camp warden secretary came out after 10 mins with the test tube to show me the crystals at the bottom of the tube. Today I took another first morning pee sample and its clear as a whistle :whew: Ive been cooking her meals for now till I do more research on raw n home cooking for her. She's been eating turkey n veggies about one packed cup 2x per day. But I am wondering within couple days all her crystals disappeared just like that? Or was miss pushy warden that was trying to sell me her RC hillside for urine issue like no tomorrow till I told her in a polite manner which she didn't deserve a big NO my dog will never be on RC as she's grain free and will stay as so. That shut her up. I never had issues with urine with any of my dogs. I know humans it doesn't take 3 days clear up. So im wondering, was I taken for a ride to buy her RC crap or yes it does clear up that fast? Cheers :)

Sorry really dont like that secretary Miss know it all. She should know RC aint that good. I even made her read the ingredients and first thing came out of her mouth was corn.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am not sure if they would clear up that quick..... going to tag a few members that might know

Remeber, the office does get a kick back on the food they sell, so it is possible, but I would hope the staff would not lie about results to get a sale of a bag of food :(

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Crystals form in too acidic or too alcaline urine. If there is a balance there will be no more new crystals, but the ones formed will be flush out with the urine. It is very important to know what type of crystals they were, in order to avoid the inbalance in which they formed in the first place. hyperuricosuria unfortunately is common in buldogs, it's a genetic predisposition to form urate stones (form in acidic urine). The most common crystals are struvite(form in alkaline urine), which is very easy to cure and handle with diet. If you treat the wrong type of crystals you can be throwing fuel to the other type.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Crystals form in too acidic or too alcaline urine. If there is a balance there will be no more new crystals, but the ones formed will be flush out with the urine. It is very important to know what type of crystals they were, in order to avoid the inbalance in which they formed in the first place. hyperuricosuria unfortunately is common in buldogs, it's a genetic predisposition to form urate stones (form in acidic urine). The most common crystals are struvite(form in alkaline urine), which is very easy to cure and handle with diet. If you treat the wrong type of crystals you can be throwing fuel to the other type.

I will call tomorrow ask what kind of crystals they were. Thanks for explaining it so well. Hope it's not a sales pitch cause they dont want to see a pissed off Italian woman! Lol but she did say Nyala has to change her diet. I will call no matter what. :) Cheers Dear

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Thank you [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] for your excellent advice!

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names

So I called and according to the file it's Struvite. Made her repeat and doubled checked cause she did say the first time I was there can be genetics now she says no. Can I mix homemade with a low protein kibble? I really dont want her on RC. Unless there is another kibble out there thats grain free for her to change to.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
BEWARE OF MISDIAGNOSIS

While diagnosis of urinary stones and crystals is usually relatively simple, I must caution you about one frequent error. *If your dog’s urine sample is concentrated and it sits in the collection jar under cool temperatures, crystals may form after the collection the same way salty water forms crystals in the chemistry lab.* This results in relatively common misdiagnosis.If you suspect that this is the case, just collect another sample and have it* examined right away at the in-house clinic lab.* It is a good idea to* give your dog some water before collection to make the urine more dilute to prevent post collection crystal formation.

I DID PUT NYALA'S PEE IN THE FRIGDE BEFORE GOING TO THE VET!!! ????

Bladder and kidney stones and urine crystals in dogs – natural approach

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
BEWARE OF MISDIAGNOSIS

While diagnosis of urinary stones and crystals is usually relatively simple, I must caution you about one frequent error. *If your dog’s urine sample is concentrated and it sits in the collection jar under cool temperatures, crystals may form after the collection the same way salty water forms crystals in the chemistry lab.* This results in relatively common misdiagnosis.If you suspect that this is the case, just collect another sample and have it* examined right away at the in-house clinic lab.* It is a good idea to* give your dog some water before collection to make the urine more dilute to prevent post collection crystal formation.

I DID PUT NYALA'S PEE IN THE FRIGDE BEFORE GOING TO THE VET!!! ????

Bladder and kidney stones and urine crystals in dogs – natural approach

Which time? The first time or the second?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Well idk. This is what is all odd. A week ago Monday, Nyala gets spayed n cherry eye surgery along with 2 shots rabis n kennel cough. She hasn't eaten much for 2 days which is normal after any surgery. That 2nd day I noticed she pees often but not a lot for 15x in one day. Go to the vet on Thursday with urine sample which I did leave in the fridge while I was getting ready. Ends up test had crystals bottom of test tube. Bootcamp secretary says its struvie not genetic. I called 2x make sure. Wanted to sell me RC and I declined. Put Nyala on homemade cooked food immediately. After 2 days on home cooking 3rd day I take sample and left it on the counter for 20ish mins and clear as a whistle. She pees normal too. Now wouldn't it be normal after being spayed dogs can have crystal in pee? Or when you put urine in frigde it will show crystallization? Shouldn't the vet have done xray? And I spoke to that vet onky once on the phone. Never seen him before or after surgery, each time I call its his warden that answers me like she knows everything so you dont disturb the vet cause he's always in surgery, busy, gone etc etc. He's like a ghost lol. Before all of thus 3 weeks before her surgery she was on antibiotics for a cold. It wasn't him that saw nyala but another vet which I wasn't even told. First surgery was canceled cause of her cold and if I didn't ask the 2nd schedule was again someone else. I told miss warden that I wanted that specific vet to do Nyala surgery so go pushed to the 28th. Wheew. She even made the remark "anyvet can do the spaying". I dont know if I want then to talk care of Nyala anymore. I just dont feel right about the place. Hes well known with bullies but service sucks. Tomorrow morning I will do another urine sample. See what that gives.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Which time? The first time or the second?

Sent from my iPhone using

Help..... her 3rd test of this morning is all cloudy. Completely cloudy! When I found out she had crystals I put her on homemade cooking immediately as I mentioned. 3 days later 2nd test all clear. Why it cleared that fast idk. So i did a test after being 3 days on home cooking. I mixed her orijen with her HC meals and now today all cloudy. So yes orijen will be out for sure and see in 3 days what another urine test will give me. But why cloudy? Don't see crystals or is cloudy also means its crystals? She pees normal amounts and not 15x like she did.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Don't be too alarmed, cloudy could mean a number of things, could be do to eating all the carbs in the rice or not drinking enough fluids. I think infectious pee smells very potent. Metal (blood) or puss has a very nasty smell. The only true way of knowing of course is to have her tested again in about a week. If you are going to continue to home cook I would suggest putting her on Nuvet plus to make sure she is getting all the vitamins and minerals she needs, plus it's been very good with dogs who have urinary tract problems.

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't be too alarmed, cloudy could mean a number of things, could be do to eating all the carbs in the rice or not drinking enough fluids. I think infectious pee smells very potent. Metal (blood) or puss has a very nasty smell. The only true way of knowing of course is to have her tested again in about a week. If you are going to continue to home cook I would suggest putting her on Nuvet plus to make sure she is getting all the vitamins and minerals she needs, plus it's been very good with dogs who have urinary tract problems.

She is grain free. Doesn't eat carbs. She now takes cranberry extract n salmon oil. Her pee didn't smell at all n no blood anywhere. :)

OP
helsonwheels

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
UPDATE........

So, had a very long chat with a breeder here in AB Kirsten She's also a friend of the breeder where Nyala is from. According to Kirsten when I brought in the first urine test and vet office said to put Nyala on RC cause she needs to change her diet asap, well she thinks the crystals were caused when I put the urine sample in the fridge that early morning while I was getting prepared before going to the vet. Fridge, cold, crystals will form. Then I put Nyala on Home Cooking and 3 days later urine test all cleared. Did a test put Nyala back on kibbles urine test like orange juice thick. Back on H C and urine back to normal. So after all this "tralala" Nyala will stay on home cooking for good. Cook for an extra person ok dog is no biggy. Kirsten also mentionednot to worry about crystals as they are not as dangerous as we think cause we all have them inside us. Basically for home cooking dogs dont need all sorts of vitamins. She said so long you dont give them onion, fat/skin from a cook meat, no problem. We can add turmic, sardines, ginger, organs, liver, cod liver oil or salomon and no need for vitamin if all is fresh meals. Dogs will drink less water cause HC has already moisture.

She is fine, moving and jumping, cone is gone, cherry eye healed so she's a happy puppy. Why change what is not broken! :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.